final

Troublemaking Panda

 

Kris felt himself being forcibly dragged back into the realm of consciousness from stage 4 of sleep. "Kris!" he heard Suho whisper, frantically. "Honey, wake up! It's an emergency." Kris groaned in protest, pulling up the covers and hiding his head. "Get up, I need your help!" "What could possibly be wrong at this hour?" he complained." "Tao's fish is dead!"
 
Kris kicked off the covers and staggered out of bed. In his rush, his foot bumped painfully into the furniture. "Ow, fff..." he felt Suho's hand on his shoulder and his wife's stern gaze on him. "...ffffish." he managed to catch himself. "Where's the fish? We have to replace it before Tao notices. I will NOT explain to our boy that his pet has gone to fish heaven." Kris whispered aggressively. "I know." Suho replied. "But first, I have a plan..."
 
In the dead of night, the two of them ran around disconnecting all alarms in the house and setting all the clocks 30 minutes early. "Okay, I'll go buy a replacement fish and you deal with Tao when he wakes up." Suho said. "Make sure he doesn't see the fish." Kris nodded in confirmation and watched a the other bolted out the door. He slumped in his chair and let out an exhausted sigh. "Now to wait until Tao wakes up."
 
Kris woke up suddenly to the sound of thundering footsteps, almost falling out of his chair. "BABA, WHY DIDN'T YOU WAKE ME UP??" screamed Tao. "I thought you already woke up on your own and caught the bus." he lied as his son stormed down the stairs putting on his uniform. "MY ALARM DIDN'T GO OFFAND I'M GOING TO BE LATE FOR—" Kris jumped out of his seat, grabbing his up car keys and started ushering him out of the kitchen. "Go to the car! Quick! I'll drive y—" "Is that my fish?" "Huh, yeah, he's sleeping, LET'S GO." "BUTBUTBUT..." "NO BUTS."
 
After convincing Tao that he had driven like a maniac to get him to school on time, Kris finally went back home to relax and check on his online fashion business. He was relieved to see Suho was back. "Did you get the fish?" he asked, casually. "What fish?" Suho turned around, grinning excitedly with a panda-cat in his arms. The older of the two facepalmed. "You forgot about Tao's fish, didn't you..."
 
Suho remembered the fish after going to the pert store the second time around. Kris leaned back in his swivel chair in front of his work computer and pressed his palms against his closed eyes, trying to rub away the exhaustion. "Do we even know how much it'll cost to take care of that cat?" he asked loudly. "Not really," Suho shouted back from the bathroom, in the middle of performing a water funeral for Tao's dead fish, " But it can't be much worse than taking care of Tao, right?"
 
That afternoon, after all the clocks and alarms were set back to normal, Tao rushed back home and loudly barged through the front door, startling his poor father to of his seat yet again. "WHERE'S MY FISH" he screamed. "It's right here, baby~" Suho soothed, pointing over to the aquarium on the counter. "Oh thank goodness..." Tao sighed, skipping over to see. Suddenly the cat jumped up on the counter between him and the fish. "YOU GOT ME A KITTY! EEEEEE~" Kris groaned, feeling his headache worsening.
 
"You know, we might not be able to keep it." Kris explained as his wife and son fawned over the strange panda cat. "But whyyyyyyy?" Tao whined. "Yeah, why? He can learn to be responsible!" Suho defended. "But that's the problem! He's not ready, that why the fi—" Kris's eyes caught the glare from his partner. "Ffffffrench fried got burned last week during dinner..." he corrected himself. "Don't worry, Mr. Panda knows how to feed himself!" Tao chirped, watching as the cat dropped itself into the aquarium.
 
Suho plucked the soaked cat out of the small tank. "Uh oh... Honey, it ate the fish..." He stated, hesitantly. "It WHAT?!" Kris snapped. Tao snatched the wet cat out of his mother's arms and held it possessively. "Can we keep him now?" Tao chimed. "Cats are WAAAY cooler than fish after all, Dad." he remarked. Sighing, Kris nodded in defeat.  "Only if you agree to give it baths and not make Daddy do it." "Okay~" Tao skipped off, cat in his arms. Suho looked at his husband fondly. "You know it's gonna be you by tomorrow, right?" "Shhhhhh..." Kris hushed the other, leaning back and closing his eyes. "Just let me dream, will you?"