03

Winter Designs
Woo Bin walks out of the cafe the smile falling with the snow that's still coming down from the sky. He got his hopes up staring at that sketch. He got the courage to call him from thinking that maybe Jong Suk thought he was cute, too, and this is where it gets him. He should have held more control over his thoughts, he thinks. He wouldn't feel so disappointed that Jong Suk drew him because he liked his jacket. 
 
Woo Bin sighs and tugs on the jacket silently cursing it for being the cause of his sudden mood change. It would have been better if Jong Suk never sketched him at all. But then he knows he probably wouldn't have given the book back and he thinks maybe it was worth it to see the smile on Jong Suk's face and his eyes light up for the first time in weeks.
 
Woo Bin kicks the snow in front of him angry at himself for getting his hopes up. He walks all the way home, a good eight blocks from the cafe, but he hardly feels the cold or the snow that creeps into the sides of his shoes soaking his feet. He goes through the routine of getting into his apartment, dressing for bed and lying down. 
 
It takes him hours to fall asleep. His thoughts filled with Jong Suk and all the things he assumed from one picture. He's ashamed of himself. Of getting so invested when he didn't know anything. When he does fall asleep it's fitful and humid, he constantly throws the blankets on and off and can't find a comfortable position. 
 
When he finally wakes up the next day it's 11 AM. He rubs his eyes and sighs. He's still tired but his back will hurt if he lays there any longer. He sits up swinging his legs over the side of the bed pounding at his back with his fist to try to get the soreness out of it while heading to his bathroom to shower.
 
He relishes in the hot water on his skin. The water rolls down his body rolling the kinks out with it as his mind goes over yesterday's events. After his agonizingly long night it seems like a dream. He rolls his neck and turns off the faucet. He dries off and dresses in a white sweater and dark jeans. Looking outside, it's still snowing and he decides maybe he needs to work off his emotions. It'd be a perfect day for ice skating, he thinks.
 
He bundles up, wrapping a scarf around his neck and putting on his warmest jacket. The one Jong Suk sketched him in, of course, but he shoves that from his mind as quickly as it enters. He pulls a hat over his head and ears and some gloves. Checking he has his wallet, he leaves without eating deciding to get some food to eat while waiting in line.
 
Woo Bin takes the train to Randolph street. Getting off at Millennium Station and walking down to Starbucks to get a large peppermint mocha and a breakfast sandwich before he crosses the street to get in line for the ice skate rentals. He looks at the people already on the ice and smiles. He can't wait to get on it. Some exercise is just what he needs to get his mind of things.
 
His gaze slides to the line in front of him as it moves forward and he nearly drops his coffee and chokes on his food. There is Jong Suk. Standing ten feet away. Completely in his own little world. Woo Bin can't take his eyes off him. Jong Suk has his headphones in and his attention is divided between the ice rink and his sketch pad. He draws a little and looks up, draws a little and looks up. It makes Woo Bin smile. Even now, he's dedicating his time to the thing he loves.
 
Woo Bin feels incompetent compared to Jong Suk. What has Woo Bin doing for his dream? Working in Macy's going out for go see's maybe every other month. Woo Bin shakes the thought out of his head and his eyes return to Jong Suk. The line moves forward and Jong Suk intuitively moves with it. Woo Bin wants to laugh. How can someone be so engrossed in drawing and still be relatively aware of what's going on around him?
 
The time passes quickly with Woo Bin trying to stare casually though he doesn't think it's working. The line moves slowly but Woo Bin can barely tell and all too soon Jong Suk is being brought into the building on the side to rent his ice skates. Jong Suk puts his sketchbook in his bag and when he walks in Woo Bin can see him look around and head for the lockers on the left side before he disappears from sight.
 
Woo Bin hops from foot to foot anxious to see Jong Suk again. But then an announcement goes over the sound system cutting off the Christmas music. Something Woo Bin can't quite catch over the noise of the crowd since English isn't his first language. Everyone gets off the ice and returns their skates and the Zamboni comes out to resurface the ice. Woo Bin along with a big chunk of the line is ushered into the building as well to rent skates. Woo Bin looks around trying to find Jong Suk the cramped small room as he takes off his shoes, get the skates and pays for them but he finds it hopeless with so many people. 
 
He waits in the small side room warming up before going back into the cold. The Zamboni leaves the ice and he waddles to the end of the line forming at the entrance of the rink. When he gets on he laughs lightly. He loves the feeling of gliding across the ice. It's one of this favorite things about winter in Chicago or malls in Korea.
 
Still smiling, he turns and skates backwards viewing all the people skating towards him. A few kids hanging onto the wall smiling at their friends or parents, some amazing skaters that race past him and nearly knock others over, couples holding hands and friends skating and laughing. It warms his heart and he loves it. He turns back around and skates off flying past others on the inner part of circle of people and glides around the bend.
 
He almost runs right into someone and he watches as the guy scrambles and nearly falls. He still can't get his feet under him and Woo Bin feels bad for him. He skates passed the guy and turns around in front of him and offers him a hand.
 
"Thank you," the guy says and looks up. Woo Bin is floored. How did he not recognized the jacket or the red hair peeking out from the black beanie. 
 
"I-it's no problem," Woo Bin stutters in English. He lets go of Jong Suk's hand as soon as the other looks stable and he looks away.
 
"Ah, Woo Bin, right," Jong Suk asks in English when his eyes finally land on the taller form in front of him.
 
"Yea," he replies switching back to Korean. It's easier. He rubs the back of his neck awkwardly and looks at Jong Suk. He's struggling again just standing still as people pass them on both sides. Jong Suk smiles and tries to skate toward the edge to grip the railing but nearly falls again.
 
"Would you like some help?"
 
Jong Suk smiles gratefully at Woo Bin and nods. Woo Bin grabs Jong Suk's hand and pulls him to the edge skating to it slowly at a break in the crowd. Jong Suk reaches for the rail his but sticking out and his long legs at awkward angles on the blades. Woo Bin can't help but laugh.
 
"Yah," Jong Suk jokes, "It's not that funny. I do this every year and I'm never any better."
 
"You'll never get any better this way," Woo Bin smiles, "I can teach you if you want."
 
Woo Bin can't wipe the smile off his face. What luck is this? Maybe Jong Suk doesn't like him like that now but that doesn't mean Jong Suk won't grow feelings if they get to know each other. He holds out a hand to Jong Suk and Jong Suk takes it and smiles.
 
"Sure," he says, "though I think it's a lost cause."
 
"Nehh," Woo Bin says his voice catching in his throat and becoming more exaggerated, "I think you'll do fine."
 
"We'll see," Jong Suk replies. 
 
"Keep your legs and feet straight, okay? And hold onto my shoulders. I'll pull you around and you can get used to it."
 
"Okay. Are you sure about this," Jong Suk asks. Woo Bin turns around placing the hand he's holding on his shoulder and Jong Suk puts his other hand on Woo Bin's other shoulder.
 
"Definitely. I taught my sister like this," he replies, "hold on tight."
 
Woo Bin starts off slowly pulling them away from the wall. Jong Suk makes noises behind him and Woo Bin looks over his shoulder at him. He's got his out again and Woo Bin laughs. 
 
"Stop laughing at me," Jong Suk's voice is shaky and Woo Bin kind of wants to melt again. 
 
"I'm not, I'm not. Straighten up, you're doing fine."
 
"Okay. I can do that."
 
Woo Bin looks over his shoulder and Jong Suk is slowly straightening out and he's smiling as he's getting the hang of being on ice skates. Woo Bin decides to speed up a little bit. 
 
"Ah," Jong Suk yells and nearly falls instead his arms wrap around Woo Bin's middle in an attempt to save himself. Jong Suk's chest presses against Woo Bin's back. Jong Suk's eyes are squeezed shut as his head rests against Woo Bin's back. 
 
Woo Bin has gone stiff. He wasn't ready for this. His heart beat races forward and he can feel his body heat up with the blush invading his face. Jong Suk slowly opens his eyes as he realizes he's not face planting in the ice. Woo Bin coughs awkwardly and Jong Suk lets go too fast falling to his . 
 
"Ahhh, apa, apa," he says and tries to get up. 
 
"I'm so sorry, are you alright?"
 
"It's not you're fault. I think I'm done trying to learn for the day. Can you help me to the exit?"
 
"Of course," Woo Bin replies and pulls Jong Suk up leading him slowly to the exit.
 
Jong Suk hobbles off the ice and Woo Bin follows after him helping him into the building and to the counter. They both take off their skates and get their shoes back.
 
"You didn't have to do that," Jong Suk smiles.
 
"Don't worry about it. Would you like to maybe get lunch or something?"
 
Jong Suk laces his boot up and stands, "Sure. That sounds great. It's the least I could after you helped me so graciously."
 
Woo Bin smiles and watches at Jong Suk gets his bag out of the locker he rented and walks back over to him. They leave the rental building walking out of the park slowly looking at the snow falling. Woo Bin thinks maybe, just maybe, everything is working out well.