Wonderwall

Wonderwall

 

Kyuhyun has everything an eight year old could ever want. Expensive toys, designer clothes, extravagant vacations, food from all over the world, endless supply of video games. It's the only thing he's ever known, and he's quite content with his high end life. He's spoiled, but he's never taken anything for granted.

 

He steps out his luxurious home on a cloudy October day, dressed in his finest school uniform. Kyuhyun's never been a fan of studying and making sure he's the first in his class, but he doesn't protest his parents' wishes to go to an elite private school.

 

There's a lot of commotion outside his house, and he sees a few people he recognizes from school surrounded by a kid he's never seen before. Kyuhyun stops on the way to the car, his mother looks at him with a confused face, but Kyuhyun stays planted in his spot.

 

The kid's face shows that he's around Kyuhyun's age, but he's rather tall and lanky. He has messy dark hair, and a face that could tell a thousand different stories. Kyuhyun can tell by his clothing and the way he doesn't fight back against the bullies that he's not from the neighborhood, that he's grown up with less money than Kyuhyun has.

 

“Hey! Give it to me!” Kyuhyun hears and sees that one his classmates had taken the outsider's lunchbox.

 

“What are you gonna do about it?” The bully laughs in the kid's face.

 

Kyuhyun walks behind his classmate and snatches the stolen lunch box from his hand. “Is this yours?”

 

“Kyuhyun, what are you doing?” His classmate looks at him in surprise.

 

“Is this yours?” Kyuhyun asks again.

“No. It's his,” is the answer.

 

Kyuhyun looks from the bully to the kid, back to the bully. He takes the lunchbox and whacks his neighbor across the head, earning a yelp and the thudding of footsteps running away.

 

“Here you go,” Kyuhyun says and returns the lunchbox. “I'm Kyuhyun. People call me Kyu.”

 

“I'm Changmin,” the lanky eight year old responds with a thankful smile.

 

It's a while before Kyuhyun sees Changmin again.

 

 

- - -

 

At sixteen, Kyuhyun's parents die in a train accident (they thought it would be a new experience to travel by train). Not allowed to touch his parents' money (except a college fund), and even the house until he turned twenty five, Kyuhyun is sent to live with his aunt.

 

His aunt lives a much different life than what Kyuhyun is used to. She's not married, has no children, and works a middle class job. Kyuhyun can't complain, at least he has someone willing to take him in.

 

The school he attends is average, or so he thinks. It's filled with kids from all over and subjects he knows too much about (which meant less studying, which he was okay with), but he felt less pressured to be something he isn't.

 

His first day he sits alone at the lunch table, too shy to find someone to talk to. He's content and stares down at his tray and looks at the school lunch food (which he's not so content with).

 

“Hey. Do you remember me?” A voice says and Kyuhyun looks up.

 

A tall, awkward teenager stands before him. His hair looks out of control and his skin is a little too dark, but Kyuhyun's okay with that. He stares for a moment and thinks that he definitely doesn't know this person – until he really focuses on the stranger's face.

 

“Changmin?” Kyuhyun says quietly, because he thinks this is a little weird. How could he remember someone from eight years ago?

 

The boy smiles. “You're Kyuhyun right?”

 

Kyuhyun slowly nods and starts to laugh, because this feels a little too unreal. He laughs until Changmin starts to laugh with him.

 

“Do you want to come eat with me?” Changmin asks and points to a table across the lunch room, full of people Kyuhyun doesn't know.

 

Kyuhyun takes a minute to answer. “Maybe next time,” he says with a half smile.

 

Changmin nods and smiles back.

 

It takes a few weeks before Kyuhyun sits at the table with Changmin, but once he does, the two become inseparable.

 

 

- - -

 

Kyuhyun sits in the back of a car with Changmin; just the two of them. The sky outside grows darker, and neither of them want to climb into the driver's seat. It's the night of their high school graduation and Kyuhyun doesn't want it to be real, doesn't want to say goodbye.

 

“Do you think we'll see each other again?” Kyuhyun asks while he looks out the window.

 

Kyuhyun can hear Changmin sigh and quietly say, “I don't know.”

 

Kyuhyun stares at Changmin and can see him staring back. He looks pained and somewhat confused.

 

“What?” He asks, laughing a little.

 

Without much thought, Kyuhyun leans forward in the already cramped space and brushes his lips against Changmin's. Changmin resists at first, but gives in and melts under Kyuhyun's pressure. It's awkward and somewhat forced, but Kyhyun's tongue works its way into Changmin's mouth and everything is lost.

 

It becomes a teeth scraping mess and Changmin's breath slides over Kyuhyun's skin and sends him somewhere in another universe. He's not sure how Changmin removed his t-shirt so fast, but he's not complaining.

 

 

*

 

Changmin stands before Kyuhyun at the airport looking tired and worn out; like it's not really supposed to happen like this. Kyuhyun wishes he wasn't going to some other country to study, wishes that he hadn't promised too much of his education to his parents before they died.

 

“It'll be okay,” Changmin says and Kyuhyun believes him, even for a second.

 

 

- - -

 

It takes Kyuhyun a few months to adjust to the new culture, to adjust to living without Changmin right by his side. He tries to focus on his work, tries to make something of himself in college, but it's not like he really wants to.

 

Kyuhyun's introduced to another transfer student (apparently there's a whole lot of them) through some mutual friends. Her name's Sooyoung and Kyuhyun thinks she's really pretty.

 

She sticks around, becomes routine, and Kyuhyun tries to reason that it really is him and not her. She's soft and delicate and smells like flowers. Her kisses are affectionate and her touch is gentle, but Kyuhyun never feels like he's bursting with happiness. He just misses Changmin even more. He spends more time with her, and she fills the loneliness that he feels, but there's something that just doesn't feel like it's enough.

 

The summer draws near and announces that Kyuhyun successfully finished his first year of college. He stands in his dorm and packs away his memories, pictures of Sooyoung and himself, projects he completed during the year.

 

He hears someone at the door and sees Sooyoung standing there with an expression Kyuhyun can't quite figure out. She moves to stand next to him, wrapping her arms loosely around Kyuhyun's waist.

 

“Do you think we'll see each other again?” She asks.

 

Kyuhyun swallows hard and tries not to laugh because it feels like he's gone back in time.

 

He looks down at her and gently sweeps the hair away from her face, his fingers lingering on her cheek.

 

 

*

 

Kyuhyun doesn't feel another year wiser. In fact, he feels somewhat selfish. He only returned to his aunt's for the summer for one reason, and he didn't even know if he'd find it.

 

He spends most of his summer vacation revisiting places he and Changmin used to frequent. When he visits Changmin's home, his parents tell him Changmin hasn't checked in since before the summer started.

 

It's at their old high school where Kyuhyun sees the reason why he returned home in the first place. But Changmin's not alone, and a great big green monster stirs inside of Kyuhyun.

 

Changmin walks closer to Kyuhyun, and stops dead in his tracks when he notices just who's standing in front of him. He looks shocked, and Kyuhyun can't tell if it's a good thing or not.

 

He's introduced to Yunho and there's a smile on Changmin's face, a spark in his eye, a certain glee in his voice. There's nothing that says they're official, but Kyuhyun just knows.

 

“You look good,” Kyuhyun says.

 

“So do you.”

 

 

- - -

 

When the summer ends, Kyuhyun returns to school and doesn't make anymore home visits until he graduates. He knows that's somewhat obnoxious, and even more selfish, but he figures it's for the best.

 

When Kyuhyun meets Seohyun, he doesn't like it. The relationship doesn't last long and takes him almost no where.

 

He feels even worse when he meets Sungmin.

 

 

- - -

 

At twenty five, Kyuhyun returns to his family home with a degree that he'll probably never use. He pretty much knew a degree in video game design wouldn't do him any good, but he also knew that it didn't matter much.

 

The house is empty and dusty. The air is cold and stale, and screens of dust shine through the windows. Kyuhyun thinks it isn't too bad, that he can manage; it's nothing a thorough cleaning wont fix.

 

He walks around the house and remembers what his childhood was like, what it was like to be young and not have to worry about understanding things like love and money.

 

Someone knocks on the door just at he walks down the spiral staircase. He has no idea who it could be; maybe it's his aunt welcoming him home.

 

Kyuhyun opens the door and his heart drops into his stomach. He knows instantly who it is, but it doesn't stop him from doing tiny back flips in his head.

 

Changmin's too tall, but he's not the awkward teenager Kyuhyun used to know. He's muscular, fit. His hair isn't a mess, it's nicely cut – short for once (and it looks great). He looks like he's stolen a few hearts.

 

“Did you miss me?” Changmin says with a slick smile and passes Kyuhyun.

 

Kyuhyun shuts the door. “Tch. No,” he says, smirk on his face.

 

“That's too bad.”

 

It's silent and they spend minutes just staring at each other. Changmin tilts his head, like he's examining a perfect piece of art.

 

“I've missed you,” Changmin says softly.

 

Kyuhyun doesn't break eye contact when Changmin closes the distance between them.

 

This time the kiss isn't forced and clumsy. It's soft, warm, passionate – It leaves Kyuhyun breathless with shaky knees.

 

This time, everything feels right.

 

 

 

 

A/N: ;A; It's totally lame and cliched, I know. >_< It's my first time writing Changmin/Kyuhyun (Or DBSK and Suju for that matter), so I didn't want to over do it. and the ending is horrible, I know

 

But yeah. I hope you enjoyed because I'd like to write more ChangKyu in the future. =]