The Right Moment

Sixth Sense

"Just tell them you're my ex."

What? Taehyun tried to act natural but he can't hide his expression. He was never a good liar anyway.

Mina moved nearer to him and sat at the edge of her bed. 

"They'll buy it, for sure. Come on, it'll be less suspicious than 'just a friend'." Mina tried to convince him since she knew how her parents are like.

"Actually, she's my ex." He finally said it. 

Mr. Choi seemed to be taken back but Mrs. Choi was still calm. She can feel Taehyun's warm attitude towards them, especially when he brought apples for her husband. There was no doubts they had something. 

"I see. You have no bad intentions towards Mina, right?" Mr. Choi spoke out his concerns. His wife quickly smacked his arm and Mina chuckled.

"Honey! How could you? Sorry, Taehyun-ssi. Mina's father was just concern about it. We really appreciate and so grateful for what you have done for us and Mina. I know how you feel, Taehyun-ssi." Mrs. Choi tried to fix the situation and her husband just kept on staring at Taehyun. She can sense Taehyun felt uncomfortable in that moment and she knew Taehyun has no other intention than to help them. Her motherly instinct is just too strong.

"I told you, they'll buy it. My mom is not just a woman, she's a mother. She knows everything." Mina grinned at Taehyun. He smiled back.

"Then, I have to get going now. My mom must be waiting for me at home. Goodbye, Mr. and Mrs. Choi." Taehyun bowed and smiled to both of them.

"Okay, Taehyun-ssi. Aigoo, he's a good boy." Mrs. Choi said as she patted Taehyun's arm while her husband just nodded.

Taehyun left the room with Mina. Mrs. Choi stared at Mina's body and smiled while her husband sat down and got lost in his deep thought again.

"He's a good boy, right honey?" She asked her husband. He didn't seem to hear her question so she went towards her husband and sat in front of him.

"What are you thinking again?" She sighed and held her husband's hand.

"I don't know. I'm not sure if he's a good guy or not. I'm afraid he'll do bad thing to Mina." He sighed and patted her wife's hand.

"Honey, do you remember when Ahyoung brought a guy home to meet my parents?" She asked out of topic.

Mr. Choi raised his eyebrows, he found it odd when his wife suddenly brought it up. "Yeah, what about it?"

"My dad was the same, like you. He was unsure about the guy's true intention towards Ahyoung. But my mom convinced him that it's okay. If it went wrong, Ahyoung could gain an experience and learn a lesson, that way she could never do the same thing again. Then, they decided to get married right? It's okay, honey." She comforted him. She knew he was having a hard time with Mina still laying unconscious plus the sudden arrival of Mina's ex.

He nodded repeatedly. "It'd be wonderful if they actually got married, right?" He asked his wife. Mrs. Choi replied with a smile and a nod. 

She felt sad that the couple didn't make it. And she could still remember his face during Ahyoung's funeral. It was just a month away from the wedding; they have prepared almost everything.

"I'm going to pack our thing now." She broke the silence.

 

***

 


"How the hell should I act now? Ex, really?!" Taehyun exclaimed.

Mina snorted. She found it ridiculous for Taehyun acting that way because that was one of the most logical answers to give.

"Did you have something else in mind, hmm Taehyun-ssi?"

​"A friend! Just like how we agreed from the beginning, did you accidentally forget about that, Mina-ssi?" He replied as he pulled his hair with rage.

"Yeah, you're that kind of friend who is willing to pay a doctor that cost, um maybe, a thousand and besides, my mom would never believe it. She knows all my friends and I was never the secretive child." She turned to him and raised her eyebrows in annoyed.

"Now they would never look at me the same way again." He sat down in frustration and cupped his face.

"Yeah, they wouldn't since you're my ex and my dad would never let you go." She smirked and took a seat beside him.

"Wow, that helps. Thank you, Choi Mina-ssi." He replied sarcastically and fake a smile. Mina laughed and patted his back.

"Don't worry, it's only until I woke up. Then we would go in our own way, right?" She faked her smile as well. Taehyun stared at her for a while and looked away.

"Do you think after I've done the favor and just get lost? I'm not that kind of guy. You should at least do something for me." He said sadly without looking into her eyes. He got scared, for a moment when Mina said it. 

"What do you want?" She asked. She was scared as well with her statement, although it sounded like a question. 

"I want you to stay." Taehyun looked straight into her eyes. Their heart beat in unison and Mina was sure that was the moment.

"I will." She blushly said. It was almost the same like a proposal, but she felt that it couldn't get any more sweeter and romantic than that. 

Taehyun saw his chance and he moved closer to her face. Before their lips met, Taehyun stared into her eyes and he could see her eyes were sparkling. They kissed - not in the lustful way, but it was innocent, sweet and cold. Mina's lips were cold and Taehyun didn't expect more. He kissed her one more time and he could feel Mina was smiling.

 

***

 

Taehyun couldn't sleep. It has been a while for Taehyun to experience insomnia, back then when he was a rookie photographer. It was almost 2Am, but he was still awake. Frustrated, he dialed Mino's number and thank god, he picked up.

"Hyung?" He called out.

"Oh Taehyun-ah! What's up?" Mino's voice didn't sound sleepy.

"You're not sleeping yet?"

"I did, but I got thirsty and now I'm eating. You?" Mino said as he chewed on his fries.

"I can't sleep." Taehyun said as he switched on the lamp.

"Ah... Come over then! Jinwoo's here too." He looked over at the sleeping Jinwoo on his sofa.

"Really? At 2AM?" Taehyun asked and straighten his back.

"Yeah, why not?" 

"Okay, I'll be there in 5 mins." He stood on his feet and took his sweater.

Approximately 4 minutes later, he arrived on Mino's apartment. Their house weren't that far and their studio is located nearby as well. Taehyun knocked Mino's door lightly so he wouldn't wake the neighbors up. Mino opened and they did their 'hand shake'.

"Yah... This is really rare." Mino offered a seat for Taehyun and opened his fridge. "Beer? Or Pepsi?"

Taehyun was hesitant for a while. "Beer."

Mino served him the drink and went towards Jinwoo to wake him up.

"It's okay, hyung. I'm just gonna stay for a while."

Mino didn't care but still tried to wake the oldest up. Finally, Jinwoo woke up and Mino dragged him to the kitchen.

"What is the problem that you couldn't sleep and chose beer over Pepsi?" Mino asked.

"I don't know..." Taehyun replied and drink his beer.

"Let me guess... Work? Too stress?" The oldest finally spoke after he washed his face.

"Nah."

Mino knew the answer but he had a doubt about it, because he knew Taehyun would keep it to himself. He decided to let Taehyun drunk so he could begin asking Taehyun.

It wasn't long enough to make Taehyun got drunk since he was never the good drinker. That's why he always avoid to drink in a party. Mino called out the youngest name to make sure and Taehyun replied in a cute way, which indicates that he wasn't sober.

"So tell me, which girl is it? Do we know him?" He began. Jinwoo who was looking tipsy, instantly looked at Mino. Mino smirked at him and he chuckled.

"You guys don't know her." Taehyun replied as he gulped into his drink.

"So who is it?" Mino attacked again. Jinwoo moved closer to Taehyun.

"Mina. Choi Mina." Taehyun smiled when he said her name. He was completely drunk but he still got the fluttery in his heart.

"Choi Mina? Who is she?" Jinwoo asked Mino. Mino shrugged and frowned.

"What kind of person she is?" Jinwoo asked.

Taehyun furrowed his eyebrows as a sign him thinking. "She's cold as ice but so warm. She has the nicest smile I've ever seen and she never gives up" He replied and grinned.

Mino and Jinwoo were getting more curious about the girl Taehyun talked about. Taehyun was never like that, he was known as the guy who was so passionate in his career. 

"So, is she your girlfriend?" Mino asked, feeling a bit hurt.

"Nope. But hyung." 

"Yeah?" Mino and Jinwoo answered together.

"We kissed earlier." Taehyun answered and smiled to himself like an idiot. Then, he fell asleep at the table.

Jinwoo's mouth made an 'O' shape while Mino smiled happily. 

"Our Taehyun has grown up." Mino said and high-fived Jinwoo.

 

Being the oldest, Jinwoo woke up first and started to make breakfast for them. He woke Mino up and they had their breakfast first.

"Should we about it?" Jinwoo suggested and giggled.

"Of course! If I didn't make him got drunk last night, he wouldn't tell us. We're his best friend!" Mino exclaimed and sipped into his coffee.

Then, Taehyun woke up and stretched his back. He saw his hyung and got up.

"Did you sleep well?" Jinwoo asked as Taehyun took a seat next to him.

"Not really, my back hurts and my head... Ugh." Taehyun complained and massaged his temple.

"Did you dream about anything last night?" Mino asked and smirked at Jinwoo.

"No, why?" Taehyun poured his coffee and sipped.

"Nothing. I thought you would dream of... Mina-ssi." Mino replied and Jinwoo chuckled.

Taehyun spitted his drink and thankfully, not in his hyungs' direction. He was shocked that they found out about Mina because he was sure he didn't spill anything.

"Ah... This is why I shouldn't get drunk!" He frowned and wiped the mess.

His hyung kept on laughing nonstop. 

"Yah, if it wasn't for the beer, we would never know." Mino said, pretending to be hurt.

Taehyun gave him a glare. "Did I tell you anything about her?" He asked, nervously.

"Yeah. And your explanations were so weird." Mino said playfully.

Taehyun raised his eyebrows. He started to feel nervous and worried if he spilled everything about Mina. "What is it?" His voice shaken.

"That she is cold as ice but warm. I don't get that." Jinwoo answered him. Taehyun looked more comfortable than before.

"Ah.. It's nothing." Taehyun replied. Mino and Jinwoo exchange smile.

"So, when will you introduce her to us?" Mino asked carefully.

"Later. Now I gotta go, my mom must be worried sick about me. Thank you hyung!" Taehyun rushed out before the two asked anything more about Mina.

It was so close! Damn you, Nam Taehyun.