Of Tall Business Majors and Touchy-feely Bestfriends

The Spell Book

 

They say, love knows no bounds, love is giving, love is receiving, love is the most purest thing on the surface on this earth.
 
But what actually happens when the love, in particular, comes in the form of a concoction of rather odd, dubious liquid?
 
***
 
Jongdae threw himself on his bed and flipped open the Spell Book, his heart pounding inside his chest with excitement.
 
I'msoexcitedarghomgi'msoexcited...
 
He had been turning the pages of the book idly until a certain recipe caught his eye. His hand hovered at the page as he read the description with wide eyes.
 
This, this is the one.
 
"Are you serious, a love potion? Cliche much?" Luhan suddenly spoke, causing Jongdae to shriek and fall off his bed in shock, because since when did Luhan come in?!?!
 
Luhan rocked back on his heels, looking mildly annoyed. "I've been sitting here for ages, Jongdae."
 
Jongdae rubbed his painful shoulder and whined about his lack of privacy and personal space.
 
"Don't be ridiculous, I give you plenty of space," Luhan snorted, and scooted over to the edge of the bed to prove it. Jongdae rolled his eyes and stood, yanking Luhan off the bed and pushing him out of the room.
 
"But, seriously, are you that desperate for Yifan's attention, Jongdae?" Luhan yelled at him, and Jongdae slammed the door at his face with a pout.
 
***
 
"It's a perfect idea!!"
 
Kyungsoo grabbed Jongdae and pulled him into a big hug. Baekhyun sighed and shook his head in exasperation. Luhan yawned. 
 
"I'm glad you agree, Soo-ah." Jongdae grinned, and gave him a hi-five.
 
"But Jongdae ah..." Baekhyun began, an exasperated look on his face. "Can't you just woo him the normal way?"
 
"He doesn't have the guts," Luhan cackled, and he earned a sharp poke in his ribs. "Ow!!"
 
"It's not that!! It's just..." Jongdae stared out into the distance, at the business school building across from their music building.
 
"I'm afraid he'll..."
 
Baekhyun went over to him and swung his arm around Jongdae's shoulder. "You can ask Junmyeon for help." He wriggled his eyebrow.
 
"J-Junmyeon?!" Jongdae crowed, and Kyungsoo started to blink rapidly. Of course, everyone knew about Jongdae's and Junmyeon's... unspeakable relations. "Of course not, not Junmyeon."
 
"But Yifan is Junmyeon's friend..." Luhan sighed.
 
"No!! I c-can't!!" Jongdae yelled out, a little too loudly. "I... If Yifan ever finds out I'm practically following him around the business school during my breaks and that I stalk him back to his dorm sometimes and mmmfmfmfhm..."
 
Baekhyun had leapt onto Jongdae and tackled him roughly to the ground suddenly, one hand over his mouth. Kyungsoo was blinking spastically at something in front of him. Luhan was gaping openly.
 
 
"Hey!! Kyungsoo!" Junmyeon was waving at him, climbing up the stairs to the top where the four of them stood.
 
Kyungsoo stared blankly back at him. 
 
But Baekhyun and Luhan weren't looking at Junmyeon. They were looking at the very tall, very dashing senior behind Junmyeon.
 
Yifan.
 
Jongdae was pulled to his feet hurriedly by Baekhyun, and he quickly ducked his face behind Baekhyun's head. No way will I let Yifan see how red my cheeks are, oh my god....
 
Yifan was smiling at them with that very professional, polite smile, like he was associating with some top shot clients and not a bunch of midget-like (in his perspective), childish gawking music majors who were rolling on the ground just a few seconds ago.
 
Jongdae felt like dying from embarrassment.
 
 
"Kyungsoo! Yixing says he's bringing dinner back, so we can eat together." 
 
Kyungsoo nodded dumbly. Yifan laughed and whispered something to Junmyeon, who turned to stare at him incredulously.
 
"Really? Whoa you're unpredictable." Junmyeon commented.
 
He probably was telling Junmyeon how idiotic I look, Jongdae thought, feeling almost embarrassed to tears.
 
"See you guys around!!" Junmyeon waved again with his usual sunny smile, and he walked off with Yifan strolling behind, hands in his pockets.
 
Jongdae whooshed out his breath straight into Baekhyun's neck and collapsed to the ground, burying his face in his hands. "Oh my god..."
 
Baekhyun didn't even scold him for huffing down his neck, instead wrapping his arms around Jongdae in a comforting hug. "Aww Jongdae..."
 
Suddenly his arms fell away, and his body went tense. Jongdae peered up at him through slightly damp eyelashes. He was staring in the distance.
 
"What?" 
 
Luhan slowly crouched down. "Yifan just turned around and smiled."
 
Kyungsoo squatted beside Luhan. "He smiled, Jongdae hyung. At you." 
 
Jongdae burst into tears.
 
***
 
"I think the love potion is really the only way to comfort Jongdae and give him some hope about his unrequited love," Baekhyun whispered that night, as the three of them, sans Jongdae, gathered in Baekhyun's room to discuss.
 
"It isn't unrequited, for heaven's sake. I think Yifan knows about his crush on him." Kyungsoo reasoned.
 
"But he isn't responding?" Luhan shrugged.
 
"He smiled." Baekhyun offered.
 
Luhan snorted. "A smile is nothing, Baek ah. I'm slightly worried about this love potion thing because what if the effects wear off...?" 
 
They exchanged worried glances.
 
"...All spells will wear off, right? It's just a matter of time." Baekhyun whispered, and there was a stifling silence.
 
"So... What should we do?" Kyungsoo whispered.
 
"You know what? Let's just make it." Luhan decided, squaring his shoulders.
 
"But..."
 
"If this works out well, Yifan will fall for Jongdae, spell or no spell. If this screws up, Jongdae will realise that Yifan is not the one for him. So either way, we solve the Yifan-Jongdae crisis." Luhan pressed his hands together, with an incredibly proud grin.
 
Baekhyun face-palmed silently. "It's not as easy as you think, Luhan hyung..."
 
"Don't worry too much, Baek ah. All will be fine..." He leaned back on the bed. "Besides, I've never actually seen a love potion at work before..."
 
"W-what if it's stronger than expected and Yifan gets all with Jongdae?!" Kyungsoo turned a few shades paler.
 
"Well, he'd be happy, wouldn't he," Luhan waggled an eyebrow.
 
Baekhyun smacked his head. "That's not the point, hyung. We have to double-check the description on the Spell Book. Which is with Jongdae now."
 
"So let's tell him that we support his decision, then." Luhan concluded, and the rest nodded slowly.
 
***
 
Jongdae didn't think his friends would be so supportive. 
 
 
He was just sitting on the couch innocently chewing on some teddy gummies while watching a documentary about African lions and suddenly three ferocious lions pounced on him and proceeded to tear the meat right off his body...
 
No, actually it was just Baekhyun, Luhan and Kyungsoo.
 
"Let's make the love potion!!" Luhan announced, and he pumped his fist in the air. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo followed suit, and the three of them did a failed imitation of the 'Feel Touch Cross!' from Running man. (Of course, Lu Soo Baek! just doesn't produce that same feeling.)
 
"It's Lu Soo Baek Dae." Jongdae frowned, but there was a little smile tugging at his lips.
 
"D'awwww~~" Kyungsoo collapsed on the sofa beside him and hugged his arm. 
 
Luhan flopped down on his other side, and Baekhyun shamelessly sat on Jongdae's lap.
 
Jongdae groaned. Sometimes the way his friends comforted him got a little too... Inappropriate.
 
"I'm sure Yifan will totally fall for you after he takes the love potion!" Baekhyun cheered.
 
"Yes, even after the spell is broken, he'd sweep you off your feet like Prince Charming and kneel on one knee with a diamond ring..." Luhan crooned.
 
"Shut up!!" Jongdae moaned in embarrassment, trying to find somewhere to wedge his head in.
 
"So don't be sad anymore and stop gorging yourself with gummy bears and watching gigantic lions rip off deer heads!!" Kyungsoo added with a smile.
 
None of them missed the very awkward shade of green that crossed Luhan's face after he said that.
 
***
 
The love potion recipe called for ingredients of a very different level compared to the ingredients needed in the body swap potion.
 
"How on earth am I supposed to obtain 3mL of Yifan's saliva?!" Jongdae groaned, his elbows resting on the kitchen island.
 
Baekhyun made a pfft sound and Luhan literally rolled on the floor with laughter. 
 
"And... Why do I need to get a swan's feather?"
 
"Swans represent love, derp head," Kyungsoo rolled his eyes from his laptop. He was busy searching on how to obtain a Grimes Golden. Earlier they had been bickering on what Grimes Golden was, Jongdae asserting it was the name of some wine, Luhan protesting that it sounded more like a cartoon character or some movie production studio name, and Baekhyun intelligently guessing that it was some... grimy golden thing.
 
It turned out to be apples, much to their disbelief.
 
 
Jongdae read the bottom of the page out loud. "This potion is not to be placed in the wrong hands. The potion extracts the dead truth from the receiver, so do not offer this to someone with deep, dark secrets or the person might ruin him or herself."
 
"Whoa, spooky." Luhan propped his head with his elbows with interest.
 
"I hope Yifan doesn't have any deep dark secrets." Baekhyun shrugged.
 
"I kinda wish he does, though, then we can expose them and maybe earn a fortune from it." Luhan grinned, and Jongdae leaned on the countertop to fling a dishcloth at his face.
 
Kyungsoo flipped the laptop shut and turned to them with a truimphant smile. "I know where we can get the Grimes Golden. So we're set! Let's make it dudes!" He got up and picked the laptop from the table and marched straight towards the front door.
 
"...What are you guys waiting for?" He asked, as three pairs of eyes trained on him.
 
"There's still the swan feather," Baekhyun quipped.
 
"And the saliva..." Jongdae moaned.
 
"Well, for the swan feather we can easily try to harass the swan swimming in the neighbourhood pond. And as for the saliva..." Luhan chewed on his knuckle for a moment. 
 
"I guess I can ask Sehun to help since they are dorm mates..."
 
 
Jongdae felt hope blossom in his chest. He leapt towards Luhan and gave him a huge crushing hug. "Thank youuuuuu~~"
 
Luhan laughed and prodded his head with a grin. "I didn't even promise anything. I'm just gonna ask Sehun for help but you've got to think of the saliva-harvesting methods yourself."
 
Jongdae groaned and pushed Luhan away with a pout. Baekhyun doubled over in severe laughing fits, and clutched Kyungsoo's arm in a death-grip. 
 
"Anyway..." Kyungsoo shoved Baekhyun aside and went over to Jongdae. "Let's go check out the apples. The store is apparently out of town and really far away, so we ought to go quick."
 
Jongdae sighed and nodded. The four of them left Jongdae's and Luhan's dorm together and headed down the corridor to the staircase.
 
"Luhan hyung."
 
"Hmm?"
 
"I got an idea. Help me ask Sehun if Yifan hyung drools in his sleep?"
 
 
 
 
a/n: hmm not really happy with how this chap turned out but anyway yay for (soon-to-be) chenkai and chenris!! :) 
My poster is made by me :D I used the tri-poster template from In-design resources :)