Smile

A Smile Like No Other
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kris never was the type to socialize. He would isolate himself in the art room where he does whatever was in his imagination: anything and everything.

He didn't used to be the quiet type, but after getting into high school and getting his artworks strongly criticized and made fun of, the once outgoing Wu Yifan became the cold-hearted Kris Wu.

Kris knew very well his drawings were worse than those of a two-year-old, but nobody just seemed to understand that he tried his best and he was doing everything to be better. No, not a single person understood, and no one even tried.

It was his last year in high school and his only desire was to get it done and over with. Their first art lesson was completely different from the ones they used to have.

Instead of drawing notebooks and pencils, they were provided with clear canvasses on wooden easels. In between each easel were tables that had two buckets each filled with acrylic paint tubes of different colours and on the other were different types of painting brushes. 

These painting materials were to be shared between two students; and how lucky for Kris he didn't have to share with someone who would insult his masterpieces the whole time. No, because he would be sharing with Taeyeon. All he knew about her was that she has a kind heart and would look past your book cover before judging it.

The teacher had explained that the best way to start the year was for her to know the artistic talents these students have and who exactly have potential. She had instructed them to paint whatever their imaginations would allow them.

Fortunately for Kris, the only companion he had was his imagination; it was his expertise to imagine. It didn't take long until Kris had decided what to paint. It was his first time painting, but he was willing to give it his all — just as much as he gave his all to his 'drawings'.

Before commencing to paint, the short blonde girl beside him had called him, "Excuse me," she called. She was whispering as to not bother the other students, and to Kris she sounded cute, "Could you pass me the paints?" She asked with a smile.

Without delay, Kris immediately did as asked. Taeyeon grabbed hold of the bucket and put it to her side of the table. She took out a tube and started to place a few drops onto her palette, "I'm Taeyeon," she introduced herself as she gently squeezed the tube.

"Kris," he shortly replied.

"I know who you are," Taeyeon continued the conversation, though Kris really wanted it to end, "You're the guy who loves drawing. To be honest, I admire your love for it. You keep drawing even when everyone else forces you to just stop and quit."

Kris looked at her in bewilderment, "Uhhh… thanks…"

Taeyeon had completed putting paint on her palette and started on her painting, which made Kris very glad because he too can commence on his work.

Taeyeon wanted to steal glances at Kris' painting but she thought he would get mad, so she controlled herself from doing so. She just couldn't help but notice how he looked as if painting was so easy for him.

 

 

 

 

After the loud sound of the bell indicating it was time for linch rang, the students flooded the hallways as they rushed out of their now previous classes. The students from Kris' classes just left their paintings or rather 'paintings' in the class without even cleaning up.

As for Kris, he cleaned up his section and he was surprised Taeyeon stayed behind too. He noticed that as soon as the bell went, Taeyeon stopped painting and put her brush onto the bucket of brushes and grabbed the one Kris had just put down on the table and then headed towards the sink.

Taeyeon started washing the paintbrushes with no single word uttered. After Kris came back to his senses, he took some towels to wipe the paints off the table he and Taeyeon shared.

After finishing cleaning the brushes, Taeyeon wiped her hands dry and took off the apron she had to wear before starting to paint, "Hey, I'm going to go now," she bid goodbye to Kris.

"Oh," Kris replied, telling her 'okay'. Kris was just about to rest as well when he decided to clean the rest of the tables as well — he didn't want his favourite place to be dirty.

After a few minutes, the door opened once more and there came Taeyeon. Kris looked at her as if asking why she was there again. It's not that Kris didn't want her there, he just wanted to be alone.

"Sorry, I left a few of my things at my side," Taeyeon stated, walking towards her 'table' to retrieve the objects she forgot. She walked past Kris' painting, catching a glimpse on it. Taeyeon immediately gasped in amazement as her eyes stared into the painting of a very beautiful tropical island scenery.

The waves were gushing onto the ocean shore and in the horizon, the sun was only starting to set. The skies had a gradient of blue turning into violet, then red and then orange. The trees with coconuts swayed to the right and the shore was decorated by seashells. It looked peaceful and beautiful to the eyes of Taeyeon.

"Your painting is so beautiful!" Taeyeon commented after she caught Kris' attention and he had to walk over to her to see what happened, "Where did you learn how to paint?"

"It's my first time," Kris replied, he himself thought his painting still needed work.

"Are you kidding me?" Taeyeon asked, getting more and more shocked by the minute, "How is it so good?"

"Is it? I think it still needs work," Kris replied, rubbing his nape.

"You obviously do not know your own talent," Taeyeon replied, and then looking back to the painting. 

"Well, thanks," he replied.

"Do you think you can paint people?"

"People? I wouldn't know… I haven't tried," he joked. Taeyeon got it and she started laughing. 

"Dude, that was hilarious," Taeyeon told him after she had calmed down. Her signature smile was plastered on her face and it was the only thing Kris focused on.

That smile, it was so mesmerizing. According to Kris.

 

 

 

 

The next few days, Taeyeon hung out with Kris in the art room. She would tell him things to focus on when he's trying to paint. Or at least she was suggesting, because she herself wasn't that good in painting.

It took her a few more days before she finally showed Kris her hobby. She handed him a drawing notebook and Kris opened it, revealing so many well drawn images that Kris' jaw dropped so low it would've reached the ground.

He found out Taeyeon may not have the talents he has for painting, but she has the talents he never had for drawing, and he liked it. They formed a perfect couple, where the other has something the other doesn't and that's what makes them complete. He liked every bit of it.

 

 

 

 

"How about drawing something you really like? Or someone and then focus on what feature you really like about them," Taeyeon suggested. She suggested it because it was one of the things she does with her drawings, to capture and draw the exact details, "For me, remembering what I like about a person before drawing them makes me remember everything else of their features."

 

 

 

 

 

Taeyeon wondered why Kris had called her to go the school garden that lunch time. It would be a first for Kris to not be in the art room during lunch breaks in ages. 

"Are you trying to get inspired?" Taeyeon asked, the same smile was on her face… like always.

Kris brought out something from behind his back. By the looks of it, Taeyeon knew it was a canvass, but what was on it, she didn't know. It wasn't facing her.

Kris heaved out a sigh before letting Taeyeon see what was painted. Her reaction was no different to the one she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter