First Snowfall

First Snowfall

Your first memories of him.

They all happened around two years ago, but you remember them as if they were yesterday.

            Night had fallen, and the park near your apartment was having a Christmas lighting event. Christmas, though the busiest, has always been your favorite time of year. Not because of the presents or all the glitz and glam plastered on the holiday for children, but because it’s the one time of year where a majority of people stop thinking about themselves. They try to make others happy instead. When family and friends grow closer. These kinds of events your neighborhood throw show such bonds, and you’ve always enjoyed going with your family every year.

            Arriving at the park, you look to the clock to see you made it with a few minutes to spare before the lights are . You look around knowing you won’t see any familiar faces this year. This year Christmas is something you’ve been dreading. All the memories of your family that you’ve been left with, no more memories to come, have been making you cry nearly every night. Yet, you still came to the park. You sit down and wait in silence. Nothing but your memories keeping you company. All those times when your parents embarrassed you, made you laugh, angry, and cry running through your head. Every one of those moments you wished you could experience again, even the bad… Because the bad could never be worse than not seeing them again.

            Without realizing, tears had begun to fall. You’ve cried so much during the holiday season you can barely tell anymore when you actually are crying. So it surprises you when a hand appears in your view. Looking up, you see an extremely tall male standing before you holding a handkerchief. He’s smiling at you but his eyes show concern. You notice his somewhat light brown hair, large elf-like ears, and his large chocolate eyes. Your eyes then go to the handkerchief, and you wonder why he would be holding it out. Not even a minute passes and he moves, kneeling before you and he begins to wipe your face. Stunned, you can only stare at him.

            “Aigoo, why are you crying? Your face is too pretty to have such sad tears fall,” The guy just continues wiping your tears, smiling at you. His deep voice calming you just enough to stop the tears. “There, much better. Now if only you would smile. It IS Christmas after all.”
            He stands up and moves to sit next to you on the bench. You feel you should say something, but you’re not sure what. Thank you sounds too… weird to say, even if he did wipe away your tears. It’s not as if he took away the pain. But it’s rude not to say anything at all. Not knowing what to say, instead you just remained quiet in hopes he wouldn’t mind. Maybe he even understood that you didn’t know what to say. The silence lasted awhile, and he didn’t seem to have any intention to leave you by yourself.
`           Curious as to what he was looking at, you chance a small glance. He’s looking up. Just up, there was nothing up there besides clouds, and still he looked up. Quietly, you speak. “Why?”
            “What?” He startles slightly, but regains his composure. “Why what?”
            “Why are you looking up?” You ask.
            His head looks upward once again. “Mmmmmm, I’m waiting for the snow.”
            At this you look at him, confused. “But, it’s not supposed to snow tonight.”
            “It’s not? Well, then I’m looking at the lights!” His already bright smile seems to get brighter.
            “You just changed your answer, how do I know which one is true?”
            “Both answers are true. I’m looking at the lights, and when they turn on I’ll be able to see if it’s snowing,” He seemed so matter of fact as he said it, his deep voice booming. You decided not to question him further, since it seemed he would only confuse you. In all honestly, you didn’t even want to talk and you would prefer to be left alone, but you didn’t want to be rude. So you just let the silence settle again.

            He, on the other hand, had something else to say. “I don’t really know what you were crying about a moment ago, but you also probably have plenty of reasons to smile.”
            Annoyed, you responded. “You don’t know me, so how can you even say that?”
            “Because you’re here,” He answered.
            “What kind of an answer is that? Because I’m here? What about me being here is a reason to smile when I have more reason to cry?” You didn’t like how this stranger was acting as if he knew you. How he was getting under your skin, causing you to snap. It wasn’t fair to him, but you accidentally took your frustration out on him. “Oh, wait, are you one of those pompous know-it-alls who believe your mere presence makes people happier? Please, spare me.”
            You stood up to move to a different bench, but you were pulled back by a tug on your wrist. Before you even had time to lash out again he spoke up. “You’re here because of the lights, right? Where there is light, there is hope. You have hope even though you’re sad. And hope is a reason to smile.”
            Just then, the park lit up with all sorts of colors; Red, green, blue, white, and purple all around you. The combination of the guy’s words and your memories brought forth the tears again, this time heavier. Beside you, he took a step forward and held out his other hand. “Snow, see, just like I said.”
            You looked up to find he was right. Little tiny snowflakes were falling. His deep voice could be heard again, but you didn’t comprehend what he said right then. Your head turned to look him, mouth slightly ajar and tears streaming down your face. He smiled at you, sincerely and concerned, before putting something in your hand. Again, he spoke, but you didn’t understand. It wasn’t until he was walking away and you were watching his backside that you finally realized what it was.
            “The first snowfall. So pure, it’s refreshing and cleanses the spirit.”
            “It’s okay to smile. Merry Christmas!”

            You smile just thinking about how much those words helped. He had no idea what you were going through, but he also has no idea the impact he had on you. If you could meet him again, this time you really would say ‘thank you’.  However, you didn’t see him after that. You even had gone back to the park several times. At the lighting event last year he didn’t show up either. After two years, you’ve pretty much given up hope of ever seeing him again, but you still thank him with all your heart.
            This year, too, you go to the lighting event. Just like two years ago, it starts to snow as the lights turn on. Feeling slightly nostalgic, you walk around looking at all the lights and moving decorations. They’re the same as last year, but still just as pretty. You see a couple with a little girl all smiling and laughing, and find yourself smiling with them. Partially envy, but mostly joy. It still hurts, but dwelling on the pain would have only made your parents sad. They would have wanted you to be happy, and that is the reason you began attempting to smile again.
            Turning away from the family, you stop in your tracks when you hear a familiar low yet loud voice. “I knew your smile would be beautiful.”
            A person, the same tall male from two years ago, appears from behind you. He’s smiling at you, this time without concern. His nose is crinkled, and one eye is slightly larger than the other. Upon seeing him, you are so stunned you do nothing but stand there.
            “Shocked?” He laughs lightly, or at least you think it’s lightly. It seems a bit over the top though. After a moment, he stops laughing. “Hello? Anyone there? Are you so extremely happy to see me again that you don’t know what to say?”
            That pulls you out of your racing thoughts. You finally get to say what you have been wishing to say to him. “Thank you!”
            His eyes widen a bit and his smile only seems to get brighter, making his nose scrunch up even more. “You’re thanking me for two years ago? This is kind of surprising.”
            “You helped me more than you know,” you stated. “I’ve wanted to thank you for what you said.”
            “Well, you’re welcome then. Glad I could help!” He nods his head in satisfaction. “Now that’s out of the way, I’m Park Chanyeol.”
            Smiling at him, you introduce yourself.
            “We meet at two first snowfalls and Christmas lightings, I’d say we’ll become great friends,” He suddenly decided. Chanyeol may have said friends, but you maybe, just maybe… If you got to know him more, maybe you could trust him enough. And if that were the case, then your future seemed that much brighter now that he was in it. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanl you for reading!!! <3

Please comment if you liked it! Encouragement might help me start a long story again. Maybe.