N is for Nuclear

The ABCs of E and H

Yeongjin has a way of obliterating all of Seoljun’s worries like a nuclear bomb.

Seoljun has the unfortunate inability to stop worrying.

He learns to hide it, though, and hide it well. It won’t do the others any good to worry about his problems on top of theirs. So he smiles, he keeps on smiling. Even if he fidgets and jumps around when he’s nervous he still smiles. Even if he’s dead tired he still smiles. His smile is a way for him to feel like everything would be okay. It’s also a way for the other members to feel that everything will be okay. That their debut will be okay and everything will work out.

It will.

(But what if it doesn’t)

Selin’s hanging from his back and laughing while putting Seoljun in a chokehold. It’s practice time and they’re all having a ten-minute break. The older members (sans Sanghun) are lying down in the corner catching their breaths while the younger members (and Sanghun) decide to have a wrestling match. It’s fun but Seoljun’s afraid Selin might actually kill him with the way his arms are locked tightly against his neck and just crushing until Seoljun barely has enough air.

(What if he does)

“Okay, okay cut it out.” Yeongjin (the saint) comes and breaks off the wrestling match. “You’ll need the energy for practice—and besides, Seoljun’s turning a bit blue.”

They all break away, heeding the words of the fourth eldest (because no one really knows what he’s like when angry and they rather not risk that), and going off to refresh themselves. Seoljun coughs, sending a thankful look towards Yeongjin, and says, “Thank you very much, hyung.”

Truth be told, Seoljun has no clear idea how to act around this hyung of his. Yeongjin has a cute face, but his personality is rather puzzling to Seoljun. So he keeps it safe and polite with this one, unlike the lax easiness of his speech towards Sanha or Hayong.

“No problem,” Yeongjin quips, waving his hand, “You should stop worrying so much though.”

Seoljun’s smile almost falters, “I’m sorry?”

“Worrying. You’ve been doing it all day since morning,” Yeongjin sighs, shaking his head, “That’s no good you know, you’re going to look even older than Hayong hyung if you keep worrying.”

Seoljun blinks, confused, “Okay?” How did Yeongjin know?

Yeongjin looks him over, and gives him a pat on the back, “You’re a good kid, you shouldn’t be worrying over things just yet. If you need to talk to anyone, just come to me. I don’t guarantee I can help you, but at least it’ll get it off your chest.”

“Really?” Seoljun doesn’t know why, but those simple words are enough for his mind to clear and his worries to go away. Seoljun feels refreshed somehow, like Yeongjin has just cleared away all his thoughts and fears like a bomb.

“Yeah,” Yeongjin smiles, “What are friends for?”

Seoljun doesn’t know how Yeongjin knows, or why he so easily offers to be Seoljun’s personal counselor, but Seoljun doesn’t seem to mind. Smiling in return, Seoljun nods, “I’ll take you up on that offer some time, hyung.”

The butterflies fluttering in his stomach tells him that it’s the start of a beautiful friendship.


AN: Am I starting to grasp at straws for words? yes, yes I am.