Chapter 23: That Look

Childhood Friends....ish: A Parallel Universe
Your father paced around his office, deep in thought, *I shouldn't keep this from my wife, but my daughter deserves her freedom.* he sighed, *Honey, you've changed, I'm worried our daughter is drifting because of that* he thought.
 
"Um sir" an assistant knocked on the door.
 
"Yes, what is it?"
 
"Mr. Byun Baekhyun has arrived." He replied.
 
"Good. Send him in"
 
Baekhyun nervously entered the room, obviously terrified by your father's cold gaze. He bowed, "Hello Mr. Bae"
 
"Baekhyun" he nodded, "Take a seat"
 
Baekhyun sat down and avoided eye contact.
 
"You do know why I called you here, right?" 
 
Baekhyun slowly nodded, "But its not Lina's fault! I shouldn't have fallen for her in the first place! I-"
 
"Calm down son" Mr. Bae soothed.
 
*Son?* Baek thought.
 
"She told me that she liked you...while I was asleep, and I was wondering if you liked her back" he said, thinking the answer would be no.
 
Baekhyun almost gasped. It had been months since Mr. Bae had been hospitalized, but Baek nodded with a simple, "Yes"
 
"Yes?" He said in shock.
 
"Yes. I fell for Lina first" Baekhyun smiled, "She claimed she had to 'get revenge' on my cause I 'stole' her heart, but she's had mine since the beginning"
 
You father scanned Baekhyun's face and finally came to a conclusion.
 
"I-I mean! Uh-" 
 
"You're a good man son, my daughter is a bit naive when it comes to love, wouldn't you think?"
 
"Actually, I wouldn't know, I'm kinda new to it myself"
 
Your dad nodded, "Don't let her know that I know her little secret, I want her to be ready to tell me, and take care of her"
 
Baekhyun tilted his head, "You're not gonna break us up?"
 
He shook his head, "If she's happy with you, then okay." He sighed.
 
Baekhyun couldn't help but to wonder the meaning of that, "Whats wrong sir?"
 
You father sat down, a bit appalled by his concerned question.
 
"I want to know what concerns my girlfriend's father" he explained.
 
"My wife....." He hesitated, "She's been changing. She used to be so sweet and happy, just like Lina, but she was a bit more crazy, but then her and your mother happened"
 
"What does that mean?"
 
"You probably don't know this, Lina doesn't, I don't mind if you tell her this though, shes old enough."
 
"Know what?"
 
"Your mom and Lina's mom were best friends. At the very beginning of this company, it was a joint operation between us and you guys. I don't know what changed, they fought about something and broke apart. You guys used to play around a lot when you were young, some people thought we should engage you guys" he shook his head, "Wanna know another secret?" He asked.
 
Baek shrugged, "I guess"
 
"Your father and I have been keeping contact all these years."
 
Baekhyun gasped, "This entire time? I thought we just hated each other"
 
"Its only our wives, competitive and holds grudges"
 
Baekhyun smiled, "Lina's competitive, but she doesn't really hold grudges."
 
"That look"
 
"Huh?"
 
"That look on your face" your father said, "Don't lose it, it lets me know that you still love her"
 
"Well sir, I may love her but I don't know if she loves me. Thats my goal now"
 
He glanced at the clock, "Sorry son, I have a meeting in fifteen minutes. It was nice talking to you and remember your promises"
 
"Alright sir, thank you for having me" Baekhyun bowed and left the building. Then he leaned against a street lamp and sighed, "That was terrifying, I thought he'd go crazy on me for loving his daughter"
 
Baekhyun sat down on a bench, "Love..." He mumbled, *Even he could tell I already love her when I just confessed, but does she know how much I love her? I hope so* he took out the ring from his pocket, *I really hope so*
 
--------------------
 
You smiled at the necklace around your neck and smiled more, "You like it Dubu? Baek got it for me" you grinned, Christmas was like two months ago but you still remembered that day like it was yesterday. Although you haven't really gotten to do much with him and his busy schedule and not to mention the press trying to find out if theres something going on between enemy companies children, whenever he saw you he made you feel loved with whatever chance he got. You spun around, "Okay Dubu, Baek is waiting for me so I have to go" 
 
You went outside and walked to Cafe Mango. You spotted him sitting by a window, looking oh so perfect as he waited. The moment he saw you he smiled, "Lina!" He called. 
 
You smiled back and came over happily, *That smile* you thought