Chapter 2

The Prices

I woke up to the smell of something cooking.

I sniffed and it was,

 

FRIED TOFU!

 

That had been my favourite dish since I was a kid. We couldn't afford any costly food like meat so we had tofus. My mom served it with a side of delicious dipping sauce, accompanied by some hot steaming rice.

It was, and still is,

 

PARADISE.

 

I went into the kitchen and found my mom, putting rice into bowls.

 

"Jongdae-ah. Call Hyojin and Hana. We'll have breakfast together before you go to work, okay?" she said, smiling. Altough she's smiling, I knew that she was lonely without Father around. The whole family used to eat together in the old days. Heh, how I missed that.

 

"Okay." I was on my way upstairs when the girls came down the stairs.

 

"Good morning oppa!" Hana pecked my lips. Well, we did it everyday eversince we were little so we were already comfortable with that. Our relationship was so close that we even saw each other's bodies and did nothing about that.

 

"Morning oppa." Hyojin greeted me with a little bit awkwardness. She better get rid of the awkwardness already, she's going to be Mrs Kim soon.

 

We stepped into the kitchen and digged in. 

 

xx

 

Later that night, I went to work in an exclusive club somewhere in Seoul. It took me 2 hours to get there but I went anyway because that night's wage was a fortune. A party full of corporates, what do you expect?

 

I dressed up in a tux that the club prepared for me, looking very weird and did what I had to do, sing. But then, someone caught my eyes.

 

The woman who approached me a few days ago.

 

Is she following me? Heh.

I smirked at the thought of it. I already have a beautiful fiance, ahjumma. She sat infront of me and looked like she's interested in me.

 

I sang a rearragement of 'Remember' by DJ DOC and other requested songs at the club. The corporates seemed to enjoy my singing and believe it or not, I heard some mumbles that they want to hire me for their events.

Everyone was leaving so the club owner gave me my money for the day and I swear it was the most expensive payment I had ever received.

 

As I was changing, someone came into the room.

 

THE SAID WOMAN.

 

"Aaaaaaaaaaaa!" I exclaimed while crossing my hands over my chest.

 

"Naaah. It's okay. I'm a lesbian anyway."

 

Oh.

 

"There's something I wanted to talk about with you."

 

xx

 

When I reached home, the family members were chatting at the living room.

 

"Oppa. Come here. I made supper." Hyojin called me, smiling. Automatically, my cheeks felt hot.

 

"Thanks. Em guys? I've something to tell you."

 

"What is it?" Mom replied.

 

"Do you remember the lady I told you before?"

 

"Yeah, why?"

 

"She came to me again. She's a scouting manager, she said so. Her name is Mina and she asked me if I could go to an audition held by her company."

 

"When? Where? Why?" Hana showered me with questions.

 

"It's on the next five days at the nearby town. Because I sang very well, of course." 

 

I clearly noticed that Mom was not interested in letting me go to auditions. Since forever.

 

"Mom.."

 

"No." She stood up and went upstairs, leaving the girls with me.

 

I don't really understand why Mom wouldn't let me go to the auditions. I even sing perfectly. Being a good kid I was before, I obeyed. But not now. I was 19 and I can do anything I want. Including this. 

 

"But this is my dream since forever." I mumbled, hardy audible.

 

We finished supper and I threw myself onto my 'bed'.

 

"You'll have money."

"You would be famous."

"Your family will be happy."

 

Mina's words kept repeating in my mind.

 

"Sorry Mom, I'm going to do this ."