Chapter 1

The Prices

My name is Kim Jongdae. I never had a chance to dress nicely, ride fancy cars or eat scrumptious meals. I lived far away from the hustle and bustle of the Seoul city, in a village, in a suburb.

 

I hardly rest because I need to earn money. Well, with my always sick mother and a younger sister, our family was not that financially well. To worsen the situation, my father had drug issues and he ran away with my hard-earned money. I wasn't supposed to call him a dickhead but.. he is one. Anyways, I was earning money since I was 13 and I've been saving an amount of money up until now.

 

There's this girl named Cho Hyojin. She's been the love of my life since 2 years ago and still counting. She has a pair of beautiful eyes, a plump lips and a nice nose. I thought she's an angel when the first time I met her. Haha cheesy me. 

 

This Hyojin girl lost her parents in a car accident which the reason why she stays with my family. My beloved sister, Kim Hana welcomed her with a warm heart despite our unstable condition. My mother likes her very much that she prays to God to have me as her husband.

 

xx

 

I had many jobs but I personally liked my job as a singer in night clubs. I sang very well, said the regulars in most of the places I've worked in. I was really popular and people called me 'J-Dae'.

 

It all started to change on a particular night when I was choosing a song to sing, a well-dressed lady came to me. She maybe was in her late 20s.

 

"Hello J-Dae." Her voice was soft.

 

"Yes? Do you probably want to request a song, beautiful lady?" I said, as I was taught. She just replied me with a smile.

 

"No. I want to request something else." 

 

"I'm sorry but 'something else' is not here." I smiled.

 

She chuckled. "You like to joke, huh?"

 

"I like to sing better."

 

"Okay, J-Dae. You win. But can I have.. you?"

 

I was suprised but I don't show it though. "I'm sorry but I am not for sale."

 

"Haha you're such a funny boy~ And you know what, I'll come again for you." And she made her way towards the door.

 

"I prefer not to." I said, almost inaudible.

 

xx

 

My house was small and only had a room. My mother, Hana and Hyojin shared the room and I would sleep downstairs on a couch that was long enough to fit my 173 cm long body comfortably. 

 

There was a night that I couldn't sleep. It was around 2 a.m. but I had no urge to sleep at all despite all the works that I've done for the day. I made a warm malt drink for myself and that's when Hyojin made her way downstairs, towards me.

 

"What are you doing, oppa?" She asked me with her sleepy voice. She was so cute that I felt like biting her up.

 

"I couldn't sleep so I made a drink. Why are you here?" I finished my drink, moved towards my 'bed' and sat there.

 

"I just wanted to check that you're asleep or not."

 

"What if I'm already asleep? What'll you do? Sneakily kiss me?" I chuckled.

 

"Oppa!" She yelled, in a whispering tone.

 

"Haha I'm just kidding. Come here." I took her hand and made her sat next to me.

 

Silence.

 

"Kim Jongdae." She called my full name, which was unusual for her to do that. I replied with a short hum. "Are you going to marry me?"

 

"Of course! What were you thinking, baby?" I was shocked that she actually asked that question.

 

"No, I was just asking." She smiled. That soothed me for a bit. Just then Hyojin put her head on my shoulder and our fingers were intertwined. She then kissed them and my heart skipped a beat.

 

"I dreamt of you last night."

 

"Really? What is it, honey?" I kissed her head. The strawberry smell of her hair got me excited.

 

"We're all living in a beautiful big house and lead a happy life. There were children too. Maybe they're ours-"

 

"Pfft!" I chocked on my saliva upon hearing the children part of her dream. Hyojin just smiled sweetly.

 

"Look, I'll work harder and buy us a decent house, okay? I love you so much." I kissed her head again. I rested my head on hers and we both stay like that for a while.

 

A minute later, I found that she was already asleep. Maybe she was too tired. I carried her in my arms and brought her upstairs. I tugged her in her shared-with-my-mom-and-sister bed and pecked her lips, softly. I caressed her cheeks and remove strands of her hair backside, admiring her beautiful face.

 

"Good night, love. Saranghae."