In Progressu

Intra Muros

3

 

In Progressu

(Towards Progress)

 

 

 

 

 

“Peace, peace! He is not dead, he doth not sleep,

He hath awaken’d from the dream of life;

‘Tis we, who lost in stormy visions, keep

With phantoms an unprofitable strife…

 

 

The poem echoes in the corridors as Kyungsoo walks. Kyungsoo runs his fingers through his hair before letting out a deep breath. The voice of the dear poet had gotten louder by the time Kyungsoo reaches Room 10- A with a few papers in hand. One was apparently smaller than the rest of the papers he was holding and was specially marked:

 

 

 

Name: Do Kyungsoo                    .                                       Date: February 20, 2008          .  

 

           Excused

           Late       Arrival: 7:45 AM

 

                Reason(s):

                         Personal matters, insomnia, woke up late, traffic                                                         .

                                                                                                         

                                                                                                                                       .

 

 

 

 

He sees Chanyeol on stage — back straight, his chin up, and arms spread out. Quietly he gives his admission slip to his teacher and sits on his chair. He puts his duffel bag before turning his full attention to his friend presenting on stage.

 

 

“And in mad trance, strike with our spirit’s knife

Invulnerable nothings. We decay

Like corpses in a charnel; fear and grief

Convulse us and consume us day by day,

And cold hopes swarm like worms within our living clay.”*

 

 

Everyone breaks into applause when Chanyeol stops and takes a bow. He smiles and thanks everyone for appreciating his efforts. He catches Kyungsoo looking and shyly bows. When Chanyeol was returning to his seat, Kyungsoo holds out his hand and after a few seconds of hesitating Chanyeol shyly smiles and takes it. Kyungsoo laughs.

 

        “You don’t have to be that shy, you know. Congrats, by the way. You look cool on stage.”

 

Chanyeol scratches the back of his neck, a habit Kyungsoo has observed when he feels a little uncomfortable, and mutters a “thank you” before proceeding to his seat. Kyungsoo could’ve sworn Chanyeol’s face went red though he’s not sure whether it’s because he congratulated him or because of the heat. Kyungsoo turns and sets the papers he’s been clutching on his table. Sweat trickles down his face and Kyungsoo hastily wipes it away with his hanky.

 

        “That was really lovely, Chanyeol. Okay, Byun Baekhyun up on stage now!” Everyone applauds and Baekhyun proceeds to the stage. Mr. Zhang, their teacher, nodded and Baekhyun started.

 

 

 

“Oh, what is brighter than the light?

What is darker than the night?

What is keener than an axe?

What is softer than melting wax?

 

 

 

Kyungsoo looks at the paper on top of his table. It was his poem to present today if he was unfortunately called. He’d been worrying since breakfast about it for it was still in need of a few modifications. He buries his face on his hands and Baekhyun’s poem fills him.

 

 

“Truth is brighter than the light,

Falsehood darker than the night.

Revenge is keener than an axe,

And love is softer than melting wax.”*

 

 

 

Baekyun takes a bow and everyone applauds. Kyungsoo lifts his head and softly swears. He fumbles in his pockets for any pen to use and groans after finding none. He grabs his hair and pulls it out of frustration. Any moment now, he could be called and that would be it. He sees Baekhyun return to his seat and he hears Mr. Zhang, together with the others, praising him. He bites his lower lip and crosses his fingers hard. He closes his eyes and prays hard silently, “Let it not be me. Please. Please. Pretty please good Lord.”

 

 

        “Uh huh, come on up on stage now…uh… Lee Ji Eun!”

 

 

It wasn’t intentionally done, but Kyungsoo couldn’t keep his happiness to himself and had cheered too loudly causing people to turn and look at him weirdly. He bites his lip again and apologizes. He sees Mr. Zhang’s brow furrow before turning away. Ji Eun stands and giggles when their eyes met. Kyungsoo had no other choice but to turn away and face the paper on his table. He to make a mentally scold himself for a while for being a total jerk. He lifts his duffel bag and takes his extra pen. He starts to re-read his poem and scribbles a few notes on its side. It seems to take only a few seconds but he hears the people applaud signifying the end of her performance. He looks at his paper and groans for he was only able to make few modifications.

 

But then he hears a ring, and that signifies the end of the period. He sighs and praises the Lord for being awesome before saying goodbye to Mr. Zhang. Kyungsoo folds the paper and inserts it in his literature notebook. Then he scans the other papers he’d been keeping: research paper for Chemistry, his Arts project, and on its end is his application form for the tour. He puts the papers down just before his next teacher came in. He sighs and shoves the papers under his desk before saying his greetings to his teacher.

 

 

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

 

 

        “Hey, Kyungie!!” Krystal greets him enthusiastically as they meet in the locker area. Kyungsoo turns and grins as he sees her approach him.

 

        “Hey there, my sugar princess. What’s up?”

 

        “Yuck don’t you ever call me that again.”

 

        “What, ‘sugar princess’?”

 

        “Kyungsoo!!” Kyungsoo laughs as Krystal playfully hits his arm. He gets his Chemistry book and shoves it in his duffel bag before closing his locker. Smiling, he slings his arm on her shoulder and drags her with him away from his locker.

 

        “So… I got you this.” Krystal shows a rectangular paper in color pink to Kyungsoo who took it confusedly. He peered into it and realized it’s a ferry ticket. He forces a smile and kisses her forehead.

 

        “Thanks”

 

        “Uh huh, where’s your form? I have to give it to Miss Amber as soon as possible.” Krystal opens her palm wide as she nudges Kyungsoo. Sighing in defeat, he takes his form from his duffel bag and gives it to her who smiles widely. Kyungsoo’s chest tightens though he’s not sure anymore whether it’s because of her or because of the trip. Krystal scans his form and nods.

 

        “So, Mr. Zhang had called me awhile ago. He said you were late today in his class and that I should ask you why because you might be in some kind of trouble and I might help you out. So… why were you late today mister?”

 

Kyungsoo thinks of last night. He’d been restless and uncomfortable. He remembers his dream, a flashback if he might say. A shiver runs down in his spine and he breaks away from the thought. Krystal looks at him curiously and he notices it. He forces a laugh. It was hard a first, but later on it became easier especially when he sees her relax a bit.

 

        “He didn’t show you my admission slip?” Krystal shakes her head. Kyungsoo smiles and walks ahead.

 

        “Yah! You haven’t answered my question yet!”

 

        “It’s God’s will, sugar princess!” Kyungsoo says without looking back and he grins for he knows how Krystal must look so confused right now. Kyungsoo was nearing the Chemistry lab when he feels his phone vibrate. He checks it and sees a couple of messages from different people. He realized he hasn’t opened his phone since last night and started opening the unread messages. One was from Minseok. The message had a picture attached and as Kyungsoo views it, he rolls his eyes for it was another picture of him and Jongdae. He sends him a quick reply as soon as he read his caption.

 

 

From:  BAOZI XIUMIN HERE

Received: 08:15:04 PM

       

OMG 50th picture ever taken with Jongdae!!! Kyaaa~ Kyungsoooooo omg omg omg my feelssss help ahh I think I’m falling for him *o* Oh dear, did I just say that?? Kekeke <3 what should I do?

 

 

 

To: BAOZI XIUMIN HERE

 

OK

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo scans the others and realized that most of them were nothing of real importance. He sees Krystal’s message at the very top, the latest message he received. After reading her message, he sighs and shoves his phone to his pocket without even giving a reply.

 

 

From: MY WORLD <3

Received: 09:45:30 AM

 

Attention! Students to join this year’s trip to Japan, there will be an orientation later 5:00 PM at Room 60-C 3rd floor. First 30 students to arrive will get free snacks^^ See you guys!

 

P.s. please disseminate the information to others thank you!

 

 

 

------from: Student’s Voice Organization (S.V.O.) President, Krystal Jung

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*                 *                  *

 

 

 

 

They had a silent dinner. Kyungsoo sat on the opposite end of the table where his mom is also eating. The candles on their table were lighted as the food were perfectly set on the table and it would’ve been a romantic setting if not he is eating with his mom. Their maid comes, clutching a wine bottle in hand, and pours it on his mom’s glass. The maid bows in respect and walked away.

 

Kyungsoo finishes his dinner and wipes his mouth. He was about to leave when his mom called him causing him to flinch. He turns and his mom motions their butler to give the some time together first. The butler nodded and bowed to them before leaving.

        “Kyungsoo about yesterday—“

 

        “I’m sorry,” Kyungsoo blurts out before his mom finishes. “I shouldn’t have acted like that.”

 

His mom smiles and stands before putting him around her arms. Kyungsoo hugs bag before breaking away and just like before, his mom cups his face.

 

        “It’s okay sweetie. I understand you. I been thinking it over last night and I realized that it is I who should apologize because I tried to keep you from the world, I tried to stop you from trying to conquer your fear maybe, and that I was selfish because I only thought of what I wanted and not what you wanted. I think if you’re really okay to go then… I couldn’t stop you right?”

 

His mom smiles and Kyungsoo feels like tearing up in front of her but stops himself. He forces a smile before hugging his mom again, muttering “I love you, mom” a lot of times.

 

        “But Kyungsoo, promise me that you’ll call me whatever happens. Stick to the group and don’t get yourself close to the railing when the ship’s sailing, do you understand?” Kyungsoo smiles and nods.

 

       “And sweetie?” His mom asks. Kyungsoo breaks away from the hug and looks at her, expression was of seriousness.

 

        “Come back safe, okay?” Kyungsoo felt cold and his chest felt heavy. Somewhere there, his throat tightens and he had to gulp to stop himself from tearing up before forcing a smile.

 

        “You know I can’t do that.”

 

        “Do Kyungsoo!”

 

        “Kidding, mom. Ha! Ha! You should’ve seen your face.”

 


_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


*Poem by Percy Bysshe Shelley, “Adonais: An Elegy on the Death of John Keats”

                                                                *Poem taken from Cassandra Clare’s “Clockwork Princess,” Chapter Seven, page 171

 

                      UPNEXT!

                      THE SCHOOL’S TOUR- traveling to Japan