Vulgaris Dies

Intra Muros

1

 

 Vulgaris Dies

(Ordinary Day)

 

 

 

He woke up as soon as the alarm rang the third time around. Kyungsoo turns it off and checks the time.

 

Seven o’ clock

 

He yawned and set off to take a long bath. It isn’t as if Kyungsoo doesn’t care if he’d be late today or not. It’s just that he has the odd habit of wanting to be always clean, and after all, his driver could drive him to school in less than ten minutes, so what’s there to hurry? He dresses in his regular school outfit right after he finished drying himself up: neatly ironed pants, long-sleeved polo, and his favorite black blazer. He styles his hair, and just as he was about to grab his backpack, his phone rang.

 

He smiled when he saw who the caller is but rejected the call anyway. He headed down to grab some sandwich for his breakfast.

 

        “Sit down, and eat on the table Kyungsoo. You’ve been starving yourself these days.”

 

        “Oh, hell yeah but no thanks mom,” he grinned. “I’m running late so I’d better hurry. See you later!”

 

 

 

 

 

* * *

 

 

       

 

 

Kyungsoo opens his locker and finds a white envelope accompanied by a pink sticky note.

 

        “I got you one. Anyway, meet me later. I’ll be waiting, okay? Locker 160, dismissal –Krystal”

 

 

Kyungsoo smiles and opens the envelope. A folded application form for the much-awaited school tour was inside. Kyungsoo’s smile even grew wider. He remembers his tour experiences in the past years. When he was still in the eighth grade, they all went to America. It was his first time attending and he sure can remember himself being reluctant to go. Thankfully, he continued the tour, or he wouldn’t have met Krystal. Krystal was one of the students who assisted them during the tour. Eventually, they became close friends. Krystal said that she’d probably move to Seoul the next year. So when it was time to bid each other farewell, fewer tears were shed. Surprisingly, the following year, He found out that Krystal had enrolled herself to the same school as his.

 

Their friendship had grown even deeper when they went to the tour again as ninth graders. This time, they went to China. They paired themselves up and swore to never let go of each other—one true tour buddies, as one might put it. They were always together. Eventually, they started liking each other. When they went back to Korea, Kyungsoo asked if he could court her.

 

        “Yes! Oh my gosh, best day ever!”

 

Krystal replied with too much enthusiasm and Kyungsoo finds that really adorable. And now looking at the forms in his hands, excitement filled him. He wonders what would happen in this year’s tour. But with his past experiences, he can’t help but feel excited. He senses that something good is about to happen.

 

        “Hmm, maybe I get to be her boyfriend now.” He said, and grinned. The school bell rang and he skipped away to his classes.

 

 

 

 

 

* * *

 

As expected, the hallways are free from people. It’s 5:30 PM and most of the students had gone home. Kyungsoo continues to walk, looking from locker to locker. He reached his and placed his books. He was about to get his spare shoes when he heard someone coming.

 

        “How long were you planning to make me wait? I was up there waiting for you since dismissal.”

 

He turned and saw Krystal. His heart skipped a beat as always. He closed his locker and headed towards her. He kissed her in the cheek and grinned.

 

        “Yah, how could you just--”

 

        “Well, that’s how I’m gonna say my sorry from now on.” Kyungsoo gave an innocent smile and laughed at how confused Krystal looked like.

 

        “Whatever. Where were you all this time? And why aren’t you answering my calls?”

 

        “Flying in the sky and looking for some girls to rescue.”

 

        “Shut up, Kyungsoo. I’m serious.”

 

        “Aww, don’t be too jealous.”

 

        “Oh come on. Why would I—“

 

        “Blah, blah, blah I don’t want to hear your lame excuses.”

 

“Ugh! Stop joking around!” Silence took over. Krystal moves near the wall and leans on it, her hand covering her face. A moment later, she put them down. She looks up and is breathing hard, a habit she does when she tries to stop herself from crying. Kyungsoo bites his lip as he mentally curses himself for being a jerk and moves toward her. He cups her face and kisses her cheeks.

 

“I was up in the rooftop studying.”

 

Krystal closes her eyes and breaks down. Kyungsoo gathers her in his arms.

 

        “I’m sorry. It’s just that…mom, she told me that we might go back to States next year.”

 

Krystal breaks herself from the hug and holds Kyungsoo’s hand. Kyungsoo wipes her tears but more of it keeps coming.

 

        “Believe me, I’m doing my best to--“

 

        “Shh, stop it.”

 

        “Kyungsoo, I don’t want to leave—“

 

        “I know. I know. We’ll fix this together. You and I okay? She’s still making up her mind. It isn’t final yet. Stop crying, okay? Oh you definitely look horrible right now. You should get your mirror and check yourself.”

 

Kyungsoo lets out a yelp as Krystal punches him hard. Krystal wipes away her tears and manages a smile. Kyungsoo, upon seeing this, smiles too and gives Krystal a hug.

 

        “So about the tour details…”

 

        “Oh yeah,” Krystal pulls away and searches for something in her bag. She takes out a folded yellow paper and hands it to Kyungsoo.

 

        “So this year, we’ll be going to Japan.”

 

        “Cool, but what’s this thing here?” Kyungsoo says as he points something in the paper. Krystal looks and sighs.

 

        “It says that we’re gonna ride a ferry.”

 

Kyungsoo’s color fades. He looks at Krystal who looks at him back worriedly.

 

        “You can’t be serious.”

 

        “I know you hate traveling in the water. Ferries aren’t your type, but yeah I’m serious.”

 

        “But why? We’ve got planes here in Korea that could take us to Japan instantly!”

        “No airline company is sponsoring us this year. Sehun’s parents who own this shipping company probably took pity and volunteered to sponsor the school’s tour this year. The school can’t just say no.”

 

Kyungsoo fell silent. All his excitement and plans for the tour are starting to fade and be replaced by fear and panic.

 

        “Are you still coming to the tour?”

 

 

Kyungsoo looks at her and was surprised to see her eyes full of hope and expectations. He thought of that one time when they both went to the rooftop of the school and swore to attend every year’s school tour. The memory of Krystal also crying awhile ago made him cringe. He thought of how Krystal might need this tour which could also be her break as well from everything.

 

        “S-Sure” He manages to say. Krystals eyes lit up as Kyungsoo mentally curses himself for saying that.

 

        “Oh great! Don’t worry. I won’t let anything happen to you. You could hold on to me if you feel dizzy or puking or—“

 

        “Okay, okay, I get it.”

 

        “Oh gosh Kyungsoo, You just don’t know how happy I am right now.”

 

Kyungsoo manages a smile. He folds the yellow paper again, and puts it in his pocket. His hands were cold and sweaty, and he doubts that the reason behind it is Krystal’s peck on his cheek.

 

        “That’s my way of saying thank you then, eh?” Krystal smirks.

 

        “Sorry, I didn’t get that. Can you do it again?”

 

        “Hell no. Anyway, give me your form as soon as you finish signing it up. And did I mention that we’ll be leaving next week Saturday?”

 

        “Nope, but I think I saw it in the paper awhile ago.”

 

        “Well, I think that’s about it. I gotta go now. See you tomorrow!”

 

Krystal waves him a goodbye and runs. Kyungsoo crouches down and leans his head on the wall.

 

        “You’ve got to deal with this Kyungsoo. You did this to yourself anyway.”