Chapter 002

In your Arms, Tonight

chapter two; 

                 the professional

bird_divider.gif

CAD

CAD (computer-aided design)software is used by architects, engineers, drafters, artists,

and others to create precision drawings or technical illustrations.

 

 

 

 

»  I rushed back inside our apartment and immediately showered. I got myself ready and went to work feeling a bit happy. I dashed inside our building in a hurry, not forgetting to greet our boss.

“Good morning, Ms. Hana.” I bowed.

“Good morning Ms. Soojin, got a minute?”

“Uh, yes. Of course,ma’am.” I replied.

Uh oh. Did I do something wrong? Why would the boss call me in so early in the morning?

 She lead us both to her office and offered me to sit down, “You see, I need you to talk about something,” I gulped nervously, preparing myself for the worse, “It’s been decided that you’ll be working under Mr. Kim in the design division starting today.”

I processed her words carefully in my head before exclaiming a loud – “What?”

“What’s with the gaping-fish look? Show some excitement!”

I closed my mouth after realizing that I had my jaw hanging wide open, “A-ah.. Sorry, Ms. Hana.. It’s just so sudden!”

“Well, I’m sure you’ll do fine. You’re A-OK in my book!” She said happily, doing an “ok” sign with her right hand.

 

Because Ms. Hana was really insistent in transferring me to another division today, I quickly packed all my stuff in my cubicle. I lifted the cardboard box containing all my personal belongings and procedded to the other side of the building.

I don’t believe it.

I’ve worked in general affairs for the whole 9 years I’ve been with this company. I’d given up on a shot at a move like this long ago..

I guess luck has finally come my way.

 

I grew nervous at the sight of the words before me:

“Sales Division: Design Team”

I inhaled a huge intake of air before entering the new division, “Whew, I’ll just have to give my best.” I mumbled.

I entered the new office with confidence, not expecting what uproar it would bring me.

“Soojin!? Is that you? What are you doing here?”

Sungjong was working at his desk. He looked up at me questioningly. His voice drew the attention of others which caused most of them to look at me.

I drew myself up and forced a smile, “Annyeonghaseyo, Moon Soojin-imnida. I’ve been transferred to the design team of the sales division as of today. I look forward to working with you all!”

There was a man facing me who was seated near the window. He rose to his feet and stared at me. I bowed my head down a little, quite intimidated by his look.

I guess he’s the sales division manager..? I heard he’s a really scary guy..

He approached me with a stern look on his face, “I’m Kim Myungsoo, manager of the sales division department.”

I bowed my head a little, “Moon Soojin, pleased to meet you. I’ve always admired the design team and I’m delighted to be transferred to it. I very much look forward to working with you.”

Mr. Kim, not looking at least a bit satisfied, asked me, “Moon Soojin, may I just ask, who was the architect responsible for making Mori Tower in the Roppongi Hills?”

Surprised by his question, I stuttered, “Err.. sorry. I-I don’t know..”

“Have you seen any performances that left a strong impression with you lately?”

I quickly racked into my brain, remembering any show that I’ve watched before – “Performances..? That’s not a field that I hold a lot of interest in..” – but unfortunately, I have none.

Mr. Kim tapped his chin impatiently, “Have you seen the art exhibit currently being run at the National Art Museum then?"

I sighed, “No, sir..”

I grew bewildered under the sudden onslaught of questions,

He raised his eyebrows and crossed his arms, “So someone interested in interior design doesn’t even know the name of a mainstream architect? With no interests in performances or art, either?”

I got surprised with how he is disapproving me with his choice of words, yet I kept silent since I have no defenses, since all of what he said was actually true.

“What are you selling points, Soojin? “

“Selling points?” I asked, totally bewildered.

He scoffed, “Yeah. Can you use CAD? Are you even qualified as an interior coordinator? Some certificate?”

I bowed my head in shame, “No.. sir.. I just took an interior design course in college.”

“I have no use for amateurs, I need professionals! If you mean to treat this as a side job to being a housewife, the door’s open for you.” Mr. Kim firmly said, with a pointed glance at the ring on my left ring finger.

Denying, I waved my hands frantically in front of me, “That’s not what I..”

What was all I could say.

I had nothing I could offer in my own defense. Mr. Kim is right. I haven’t put any effort. I could have studied some these past few years yet I didn’t do anything. I’m so pathetic. I wish I could crawl into a hole right now..

Sungjong heard everything Mr. Kim had said and decided to in, “Mr. Kim, you’re making me feel bad for the new girl with how much you’re questioning her. She’s been here as long as I have. Why don’t you let me look after her instead?”

“Whatever..” Mr. Kim mumbled, still looking unconvinced and unsatisfied, then turned towards his computer and got back to work.

I glued my eyes onto the floor and stayed silent.

“Come here, your seat’s this way.” He offered a loving smile and led me the way to my cubicle.

I brought my stuff over to my desk and started sorting out my belongings when Sungjong planted a sizeable stack of interior design magazines on my desk.

“Start by reading these and studying up on current interior design trends.”

I gave him a grateful smile, “Thank you.” Really.

I wasted no time flipping through a magazine, and I saw Roppongi Hills, featured article on the first page. I learned that the architect who had designed the Mori building was named William Pedersen.


 

bird_divider.gif

» author's ramblings:   idk guise.. is it too boring? ;-; please comment? where r u readers interesting chapter next i promise .-.

» layout credit