03. Intermezzo - Codename: Amber

Codename: Unknown

There's always that one day when the universe conspires against you. And as she looks at the man in front of her, JaeIn bitterly realizes that the sentence sumarrize the story of her life.

 

***

 

5 months earlier,

 

Glancing at her watch, Jaein prays for the elevator to come faster as she abuses the "up" button. This is all Yoora's fault, she grimaces. If that girl hadn't dragged the rest of Moonstone's members, her included, to celebrate their mission last night, this wouldn't happened. She would wake up on time instead of fifteen minutes late, she'd be able to catch her train instead of having to spend money on taxi's fare, and she would have arrived on her meeting on time!

"Miss? Are you trying to use the lift?"

JaeIn blinks a few times and nods at the janitor, whom in turn smiles apologetically. "It's broken. Just five minutes ago, it got stuck and we're currently waiting for the repair man. You could use the emergency stairs instead," the janitor kindly explains, unaware that he nearly give the blonde girl in front of him a heart attack. She quickly thanks him and dashes to stairs, mentally thanking Hyojin for dragging her to gym every week. At least she manages to climb the five stories stairs in less than ten minutes and only pant slightly. Steeling herself, she rushes into the meeting room and instantly bowing deep, crying out her apologies.

"It's okay, we haven't even started. You must be  JaeIn-ssi, right?"

As she looks up, she can feels her breath hitched because now, she's staring at one of the most good looking guy on earth, her long time fashion-crush/muse, Kwon Jiyong. "Ye, yes," she dazedly agrees, her mind is in shock because nobody told her that she would be working with the Kwon freaking Jiyong. If she had known, she would've dressed better!

"Well, nice to meet you, JaeIn-ssi. I'm Jiyong. Take a seat, please," Jiyong says while pointing to the chair next to him, and JaeIn nods, still unable to believe her luck.

As soon as she sits, Jiyong starts the meeting and JaeIn realizes that they were actually waiting for her. Way to go, Song JaeIn. Such a great first impressions, she scolds herself as her face reddened in discomfort.

"So you're Song JaeIn?" the girl on her other side asks, smiling widely. "I'm a fan of your designs, they were really cool! Oh, I'm Minah by the way. Nice to meet you!"

"Nice to meet you too, Minah-ssi," JaeIn smiles back. "Ah, my designs are still raw and need a lot of retouching. Your style, however, that is cool. I love your fashion blog!"

Minah giggles in response. "Not as fenomenal as your designs, though. I heard Jiyong-ssi picked you himself after he saw your design portfolio."

Before JaeIn can muster a coherent response, Minah already focuses back on Jiyong. Deciding to do the same, she listents intently as Jiyong explains that they're doing a photo shoot for Chrome Hearts' newest jewelry and accessories. For this, he wants something new and that's why he picked them to join his team: He wants fresh faces with fresh ideas. He continues on with their job desk, and JaeIn feels a familiar combination of thrill and anxiety when Jiyong tell her that she will handle the overall design concept for this photo shoot.

Once the discussion actually starts, JaeIn tries her best to participate actively by presenting every innovative ideas that her brain could muster. It's important to show that not only she is fit for the job, but also to make up for her lack of professionalism earlier on. The meeting goes on until way past lunch time, and only when the clock strike thrice does Jiyong, as the project leader, stretches his body and calls for a break. "I think that's enough for today. What do you say we meet again tomorrow, same time same place?"

Murmurs of agreement rippled through the room, as everyone also stretches and gathers their stuffs. After exchanging compulsory goodbyes and bows, one by one they all leave until there's no one left but Jiyong and JaeIn.

"I think the others planned to grab a lunch before going home. Are you coming, JaeIn-ssi?" Jiyong asks with a smile on his face, and even though she wants so badly to say yes and go with him, she shakes her head.

"I'm sorry, Jiyong-ssi, but I still have some thing to do," she politely says, and Jiyong nods in understanding.

"Okay, see you tomorrow then," he smiles.

Taking a deep sigh after he left, JaeIn looks at the pile of papers in front of her. Truth be told, she's tired and she's hungry. But she feels like she should make up for the hindrance that she caused earlier on, and she's more than determined to finishes the overall concept sketches for the photo shoot.

"Hwaiting, Song JaeIn!" she cheers herself up.

 

***

 

"Whoa, you're really good at this."

JaeIn nearly jump in surprise because Jiyong suddenly materialized behind her. Hyojin will most definitely scold her for not realizing his presence earlier on. But then again she was busy concentrating on her work.

"Ah, thank you for your compliment, Jiyong-ssi," she bashfully replies, still trying to calm her palpitating heart. Even though it's been more than one week since they started working together, she's still not used to being around Kwon Jiyong.

Smiling, Jiyong offers her a cup of coffee. "You're working too hard, you know. Aren't you always the first one to come and the last one to leave? Give yourself a break."

"Ah, it's okay. I'm still new to this, so I should work hard to compensate for what I'm lacking."

"Still, it's not good to overwork. On Friday, nonetheless," Jiyong says. "You know what, let's just call it a day and let me treat you for..." he glances at the clock, "Late lunch. How's that sound?"

Sensing that JaeIn is still hesitating, he quickly adds, "Take it as my gratitude for your hard work and a chance for me to know my diligent team member better. Please?" he asks with that killer smile of his, and JaeIn can't find it in herself to say no.

 

 

***

 

It turns out that Kwon Jiyong is actually very easy to talk to, and JaeIn enjoyed the lunch more than she expected to. She found out that he's not just a strict perfectionist, but is actually an open minded individual. An intelligent one, to be exact. So it's no surprise that she agreed to exchange phone number with him.

They spent the rest of the week exchanging text messages, and what started out as work-related chat evolved into small talk about life and hobbies. JaeIn was more than pleased to know that Jiyong doesn't look down on her dream to become a designer and own her own fashion line one day. Instead, he encouraged her and gave her some very useful supporting tips.

The next weeks passed in a blur of hard work and great times. Somehow, Jiyong managed to coaxed JaeIn into spending more time socialising and less time working like a crazy workaholic. What's even more surprising is how she actually enjoyed being around her team members. Despite knowing very well that this is only temporary and repeating Sena's warning to never get too close with anyone in her head, JaeIn can’t help but to form some sort of attachment to them, especially to Minah.

Suddenly, it's their last day as a team. They have finished the photo shoot, and to celebrate it Jiyong invited them to the launching party. The Chrome Hearts' main store in Hongdae is lavishly decorated, with snippets of their photo shoots showcased here and there. Merely few minutes after she walks inside, JaeIn decided that she would never be able to mingle with other attendants, what's with them being important figures from Korea's fashion and entertainment industry. She swear she even saw a few parliament members earlier on. And the way they dressed up make her broken white mini dress with a golden bow on the waist looks terribly plain. Thus, she stick to her original role as harmless spectator, watching safely from the sideline.

"Yah! Stop looking lost like that and just enjoy the party!" a cheerful voice pierces her ear, and she turns around to meet Minah. Despite her simple gold mini dress, Minah somehow managed to make her attire looks extremely stunning with her choice of accessories and the way she carries herself. Minah appears to be so sure of herself, something that JaeIn never could really mastered despite her training and experiences in her (other) field of work.

 

"So? It's alright not to think and act like you own the world. Your wariness keeps us on our toes, and your humble attitude keeps us grounded. We'd all die if we have one more Yoora or Hyunri."

 

Her lips curled up into a smile as she remembers Hyojin's comment on her worry. She made a mental note to catch up on her team mates later on as she thanks Minah and accepts the glass of champagne that she offers. "I'm still a bit overwhelmed, I guess," JaeIn excuses herself.

Minah giggles in happiness. "Aren't we all? Who would've thought that mere fashion enthusiasts like us will be able to step foot inside such grand event among these important people?" JaeIn nods and with a conspiratory smile Minah leans in to whispers, "You know, I heard that Jiyong-ssi invited us here tonight because he's scouting one of us to join him in working for Chrome Heart."

"Really?"

"Cross my heart. One of his staff told me, although he kept his mouth shut on the lucky woman's identity." Grinning at JaeIn's expression, Minah nods and adds, "That's right. It's a she. So let's toast and hope it's one of us!"

She politely complies and wishes Minah good luck. However, she can't help but to feel her heartbeat quicken at the prospect of joining Jiyong's team. It could be her, right? After all, Jiyong knows about her dream and he always said that he could really use someone like her on his team. So it's not exactly wishful thinking, right?

"Attention please."

Snapped from her train of thoughts, JaeIn quickly focuses her attention on Jiyong. Her heart once again leaps as she takes in how handsome he is in his black leather pants, white tees with geometrical patterns, gold blazer and sneakers, with tons of Chrome Hearts' accessories adorning his looks.

"If you guys look around, you would see pictures of our newest design. Those marvelous photo shoots are the fruit of hard works from my newest team. None of them have ever worked professionally in fashion industry before. But what they lack kn experiences, they made up with hard works and raw talent. A round of applause for them, please," he asks. "All of them deserves a lot of praises, and those beautiful photos won't happened if even one of them is missing. However, there's one person who works harder than other person and contributes a lot to the success of our photo shoot. And to her, I would like to offer a chance to officially join our Chrome Hearts' crew."

Is it me? It could be me, right? JaeIn thoughts, her heart banging against her ribcage as she considers the prospect. She does works harder than anyone, Jiyong knows very well that she's always the first one to come and the last one to leave. And that photo shoot was based on her concept design, so she contributed a lot, right?

Please, please let it be me....

"Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you our new stylisyt, Bang Minah!"

It's as if the time has stopped, or maybe that's just the way his words knocked out her breathe. Gripping her champagne glass tightly, she somehow manages to smile and congratulate Minah before proceeding to blankly stares as Minah climbs up the stage and hugs Jiyong, to which the room erupted in cheers and applause.

It could've been her. It should've been her.

"JaeIn-ssi?"

She whipped her head so fast her neck is protesting, but the ache in her chest dulled that pain. "Yes?" she asks, her lips barely curling up into a fake polite smile.

"I'm Kim Jaejoong, owner of Moldir," the beautiful man introduces himself. "Have you heard of us?"

She nods. Of course she has. Founded by the famous idol Kim Jaejoong, Moldir is the current number one brand for bags in Korea. Although still relatively new in the business, Moldir was quick to rise thanks to their unique style and Jaejoong's smart business plan.

"Well, this may sounds a bit out of the blue, but believe me, this is a well considered decision." Staring straight at JaeIn's eyes, Jaejoong asks, "Would you like to join us?"

"... Pardon?"

Jaejoong's lips quirk up and his expression soften at JaeIn's shocked and confused one. "We need a new designer, you see. Young blood with fresh ideas to keep our brand afloat. So I spoke to Jiyong, and he recommended you."

"Jiyong-ssi recommended me?" she croaks, her brain somehow refuses to let go of the image of beaming Jiyong as he welcome Minah on stage and she barely regiester what Jaejoong says.

"Yes, he did. He spoke so highly of you, you know. Told me you were just what I'm looking for, that you're more passionate and dedicated than anyone else. I admit I wasn't convinced at first," he chuckles. "After all, if he does think that highly of you, surely he would recruited you himself, wouldn't he?"

Yeah, he should, JaeIn bitterly thinks. But Jaejoong continues on, oblivious to her inner turmoil.

"But he told me that he plan to recruit Minah instead because he wanted to be selfish for once."

Ah. Now that makes sense. Minah is really easy on the eyes. They're close enough to went out a few times too, because she does remember seeing them exchanging secret smile and talking in hushed voices. Of course he would like to keep her close.

"He showed me your designs then, to convinced me. And, well, here I am, wishing you would say yes to my offer."

"Oh..." She should be glad, right? Jiyong praised her and even recommended her to someone like Kim Jaejoong. And now her dream job is just a nod away, so shouldn't she just say yes? Yet somehow she feels so lightheaded, and not out of glee.

"Of course, you could think about it first if you like..." Jaejoong kindly offers, apparently sensing JaeIn's hesitation.

She was about to say yes, she would like to think about it first, thank you very much. But right then, her eyes caught a glimpse of Jiyong happily introducing Minah to some people with his hands around her waist. Blinking away the tears that moist her eyes, she hastily put on a smile. "There's no need to. It's just that your offer caught me of guard." She let out a passable fake laugh. "Of course I would love to join Moldir. I'm honored, even, to be given such opportunity."

"That's great," Jaejoong chuckles. "I'll see you at the office on Monday then, JaeIn-ssi? Then we can talk about your contract, and hopefully you can start right away."

She nods, and excuses herself after some pleasantries. On her way to the door, she caught sight of Jiyong smiling happily and waving his hands at her. With effort, she quirks up her lips and half-smile at him before walking out the door.

 

***

 

One month has passed since she officially joined Moldir and worked under Jaejoong's direct supervision. Jiyong has tried to contact her and asked her to meet up several times, but she always declined, using her work as excuse. Her work load is indeed overwhelming, though. And when she's not designing or pitching her designs for Moldir, she buried herself on Moonstone's missions. Honestly, she never realized how she looked forward to her missions. Not only had she got to spend time with her best friends (they did spend some of their meeting time to catch up with each other, exchanging stories about their life. Well, except for Hyunri who tend to just listens and answer with a "Same old" while shrugging her shoulder when they asked her about her life), but also because it took all of her concentration and allowed her forget about the dull ache for Jiyong in her heart. It's exciting, she realized, the rush of adrenaline when they're on action and how one tiny slip could easily cost them dearly. She supposed she understand, now, why Hyunri vents out on missions and killings.

"JaeIn-ah."

JaeIn turns back to look at Hyunri, who just walked out of the bathroom with her hair still wet. They just finished a particularly dangerous mission, and decided to hang at Hyojin's to celebrate their success after changing to fancier clothes. "Yeah?" she asked, curious as to why Hyunri would suddenly talk to her. Not that they never chat, it's just that they never actually meet outside of missions and even when they're on one, Hyunri tend to be closer with Yoora or Hyojin.

"Do you still paint?"

Her question caught JaeIn off guard, and she blinks a few times before shaking her head. "Not really. I've been busy with works and haven't got the chance to restock my supplies. Why?"

"Nothing, just wondering," Hyunri replies before walking away, and JaeIn decides to brush it off. She's weird like that, sometimes.

JaeIn did not expect to receive a package of painting supplies the next day. There was no sender, but it came with a message written in scrawny writing that she knows so well.

 

"You're not half as good as me, so quit trying to vent out the way I do. Just stick on painting."

 

It's short and cold. Harsh even. But JaeIn can't help but to feel touched by Hyunri's gesture. And the sheer fact that she realized what JaeIn has been doing on missions is a prove that despite her indifference facade, Hyunri does care for her member.

So she spent the rest of day painting her heart out, until she passed out on her chouch out of exhaustion. But she feel this sense of relief that she hasn't feel in a long time, and with relief come acceptance. She could finally come to terms with her anger of not being choosen by Jiyong to work with him, not only because he made her felt like she wasn't good enough but also because she was actually attracted to him.

As she closes her eyes and let sleep overtake her, she made a mental note to give Hyunri a token of thanks the next time they meet.

 

***

 

"JaeIn-ssi, someone is looking for you," Naeun, a fellow employees inform her. Furrowing her eyebrows, she leaves her work and goes to the lobby only to find Kwon Jiyong waiting for her.

She instantly froze, her stomach churning at the sight of the man who had broke her heart (sort of) no less than five weeks ago. But she takes a deep breath, steels herself and approaches him. "You're looking for me, Jiyong-ssi?"

Jiyong, who was busy obersving Jaejoong's pictorial for Moldir's latest release on the wall, turns and his face immediately brighten at the sight of her. "JaeIn-ah! Are you free this afternoon?"

"Ummm why?"

"Ah well, I was on the neighborhood, you see. So I decided to pay you visit and catch up with you over lunch. I mean, it really has been too long since we met, so please say yes?"

And just like two months ago, JaeIn can't find it in herself to refuse Jiyong's bright eyes and killer smiles.

"So how are you doing?" Jiyong asks once they're seated on the small sushi restaurant that he picked. "You've been going under my radar lately. I must admit, it hurts to be abandoned like that," Jiyong says, feigning a heart attack and JaeIn can only laughs awkwardly.

"Nothing much, really. I have been busy with work, trying to get over the hurt of you choosing Minah over me," she half-jokingly says.

"Ah well, I have my own reasons for that," Jiyong sheepishly says.

"I know, Jaejoong told me about your...selfish reason."

"He did?" Jiyong asks, genuinely surprised, and when JaeIn nods, he tentaively asks again, "And what do you think about it?"

"Me?" JaeIn chuckles. "I understand, I suppose. It's only normal that you got all selfish when it comes to Minah."

"Hold on, what? Minah? What do you mean, Minah?"

"Well, it's obvious isn't it? You recruited Minah, so your selfish reason must have been that you want to keep her close, no?"

"Right?" she adds, blinking curiously at his crestfallen face.

"You couldn't be more wrong," Jiyong let out an awkward laugh. "Anyone could see that you're more capable than Minah by far. But I decided to recruit her over you not because, as you put it, I'd like to keep her close." He clears his throat, "It's because I'm against being in a relationship with my co-worker."

"....And I'd like to start one with you."

To say that JaeIn was dumbfounded is an understatement. Jiyong's sudden confession (can she even refers to it that way?) caught her off guard. She never expected Jiyong, the infamous ladies man Kwon Jiyong, to harbor interest on her.

"You can't be serious," JaeIn forced a laugh. "You're just saying that to make me feel better."

"I mean it, Song JaeIn," Jiyong says in a dead serious tone, and he continues with a sigh. "It's okay if you don't believe me, that's expected. But I like you, I really do. I hink you're not just brilliant and charming, but also adorable and sincere. And I have liked you since we had our first lunch back then."

"So would you go on a date with me? As in a proper date, with movies and romantic dinner and such?"

Now JaeIn can't help but to have her heart beats faster with every word of his confession (yup, it really is a confession). But fear suddenly clouds her mind. What if this only temporary, and he'll lose interest as soon as she shows her? She heard of his love endeavors, after all.

 

"Never got attached, Jayn. It's just a liability in our line of works," Hyojin had bitterly warned her after she suffered from a particularly bad break up with her longtime boyfriend – who turned out to be an undercover police officer.

 

Hyojin's warning really does not help her case, since she's already insecure about the sincerity of Jiyong's confession. She nearly decides to turn him down and escape as quickly as possible, but made split second decision upon seeing the look in Jiyong's eyes. "I suppose a date won't hurt," she smiles. "But I'll have to check on my schedule first."

"Sure," Jiyong flash her a boyish grin. "Would Friday evening be good enough for you?"

JaeIn taps her chin thoughtfully before fishing her phone out and making a show of checking her schedule (she really does so, unbeknownst to Jiyong. And she inwardly cheers when she sees that she's actually free Friday evening. No meetings for JaeJoon, and no mission. Maybe this is a good sign). "Friday seems okay," she nods. "But I have to remind you, I', not easily impressed, Jiyong-ssi."

"Don't I know it," Jiyong laughs, and soon JaeIn joins with her giggles.

Friday is just two days away, but it can't come soon enough for them.

 

***

 

JaeIn groans in annoyance for what seems to be the tenth time that night, muttering complaint under her breath about having to stay in the clear and bask in the glory of Middle East's sandy wind.

"Come on, we had worse," Sena says sympathetically from her place next to her. "What's a bit of sand compared to rains of fire?"

While that may be true, JaeIn still can't shake the bad mood that has loomed over her ever since she heard of this mission. Right after she arrives at Moldir after the lunch with Jiyong, her work phone chimes. Hyojin calls to let her know about their newest (and sudden) mission to guard Danny during his trip to Dubai. That, and killing the Prince that he'll meet. And that is why she had to fuss under the heavy cloaks of Arabian women's burqa while being assaulted by sand, instead of sitting in a restaurant and having a romantic date with Jiyong. Thankfully, he understood that something come up, and they both decided to reschedule their date.

"Still, it's not fair," JaeIn grumbles, indicating to the fact that while they suffered outside, Hyunri is currently seated in the fancy restaurant aside from the park, eating lunch with Danny Ahn. "We wouldn't be here if it's not for her."

She could hear Sena sighs, because it is true. Danny Ahn is more than capable to protect himself, and every other trained team could surely finish the assassination. Yet he specifically asked for them simply because of Hyunri, and JaeIn suspect the man actually take this mission as some sort of twisted romantic getaway with her. Well, judging from their current condition, she would say that he succeeded.

"Don't say that, she doesn't want this either."

"Riight, and that's why she's having lunch with him after spending the night in his room." JaeIn rolls her eyes, "I mean if she is having an affair with him, she could at least have the decency to tell us!"

"She's not," Sena softly says, but doesn't elaborate further and JaeIn continues on with her rant. Deep down, she knows that Sena's right. But Hyunri's practically the reason she had to cancel her date with Jiyong, and if it affects their relationship (which is in the verge of blooming) in any way, she would make her pay.

 

***

 

"Oh, good, you make it," Jiyong says with a relieved smile once JaeIn walks inside the restaurant and sit in front of him. "I was afraid you'd stood me up."

"I'm really sorry I was late," JaeIn hurriedly apoligise. "It's just that..."

"Something came up?" Jiyong asks, referring to not one, but the three dates that they have to canceled before because something (particularly, her mission) come up.

JaeIn blushed and shakes her head. "No, I got off work on time. But I apparently spent way too much time trying to find the perfect outfit to wear."

"Really? The talented designer Song JaeIn didn't know what to wear?" Jiyong amusedly asks, and JaeIn pouts immediately.

"I'm not Minah, okay. I design thing, not coordinate how to wear them in stylish manner."

"True that," he chuckles. "I'm really glad thar we could finally have our first date, though."

She wholeheartedly agree. After she got back from Dubai, their date got cancelled once again because she had another mission to take, and then they were busy for almost a month because of the upcoming season, and their latest attempt at date had to be cancelled once again because Jaejoong suddenly wants her to work over time. Luckily, they manage to squeeze in a lunch or dinner together every once in a while, so they do have some progress.

Jiyong says something that brought her back to the present, and she blinks a few times before saying, "I'm sorry, what?"

Jiyong laughs, and repeat his question, "So how are work in Moldir? Since the spring rush has just passed, it must be pretty calm, right?"

"Yep, some peace, finally. Well, Jaejoongie-oppa still frets over everything once in a while, but all in all, we're fine. How about you?"

"More or less, only this means that I will have a lot of photo-shoots lined up since I'm Crome Heart's ambassador."

"And Bean Pole's."

"And Bean Poles's," he sighs. "Damn us and our line of work."

"I thought this is your dream job?" JaeIn asks, recalling a certain talk the two have during one of their lunch.

"Does not mean I can't resent it for being too possessive over me," he replies, and she burst in mirth of laughter. He joins in not long after, and his eyes lit up at the sound of a familiar slow song.

"Dance with me?" Jiyong asks, and JaeIn accepts his hand with a smile.

They danced for a while, JaeIn trying her best to calm her erratic heartbeat from being too close with him. He's holding her hand with one hand, and placing the other one just around her waist, pressing their body close together. She takes a deep breathe, and inhales the scent of fougere. It's a unique choice, she mused. Others might frown at the thought of wearing perfume that contains the smell of lavender, deeming it's too girly. But Jiyong doesn't seem to had a problem with that, and JaeIn likes that he's daring to be different. That's what makes him the Kwon Jiyong that he is now, afterall.

"JaeIn-ah," Jiyong softly calls, breaking her reverence on him.

"Hmmm?"

"Would you be my girlfriend?" JaeIn blinks a few times and Jiyong smiles sheepishly. "I know this may sound abrupt, and I'm not supposed to do this on our first date. But I'm not inclined to wait until our second date, especially given our track record," they both laugh at this. "So...would you be my girlfriend?"

JaeIn ponders her answer seriously. She does like him, she must admit. And he does seem genuine. But that doesn't mean she could just forget his reputation, or her worries that he would left her right after she agreed to be his. Plus, there's always that little glitch which is her job.

Does he worth the risk?

Well, she'll never find out until she try, no?

Smiling, JaeIn nods and say, "I would love to."

 

***

 

She keeps her smile as she walks past the security gate after getting her passport checked. Once she passed the airport officers and is safe in the waiting room, she let out a deep breathe. Granted, this isn't the first time she went overseas for a mission. And it's on Macau, something that she knew for sure Yoora, Hyojin, or Hyunri would enjoy to the fullest.

Dammit, now she really misses her member. Honestly, she almost can't recall the last time she was sent alone on a mission. An assassination, nonetheless!

Okay, calm down Song JaeIn. Calm down. You're just here for a trip, so it won't do for you to looks stressed out. Act normal, like you're going to have fun. Act normal...

Her mantra is cut short when her phone ring and she almost yelp out of surprise. Hastily, she pick up the phone and her face soften instantly once she read the incoming message.

 

Have fun on your trip, JaeIn-ah! How unfair, you get to go on a trip while I'm stuck in the board meeting ><

 

She chuckles softly and just about to type her reply when an unfamiliar presence on her right startle her. She feels something being pressed against her lower back, and her blood runs cold instantly.

"Walk to the toilet, and don't make a scene," a low voice hissed.

! JaeIn panicked in her mind. Who is it? What does he want? Am I about to get killed? Dammit, what am I supposed to do now?!

Once they're inside the toilet, JaeIn feels her captor step back to lock the door. Instantly, she turns around while whipping her gun out.

But instead of facing an unknown man, she face a very familiar jet black hair and pale complexion.

"Hyun...ri?" she asks, confused. WHAT?!

"Sorry, Jayn, but I have to drag you here without attracting any attention," Hyunri smiles faintly. "Long time no see, huh? How are you doing?"

JaeIn frowns. Somehow, she feels like something's not right, but she can't place her finger on it. So she keep her gun pointed at her, and Hyunri sighs dejectedly. "It's really me, Song JaeIn. Honest swear. Ask me a question, if that could make you sure."

"What was the last thing you gave me?"

A ghost of smile lights up her solemn expression, "Painting supplies. I got it because you were too absorbed on missions, to the point of endangering yourself."

Nodding, JaeIn finally lowers her gun. But she still look at her warily and keep her distance. "Why are you here then, Ri?"

"Same as you, mission. Only I'm going to Japan to kill a certain G-Dragon." She pauses for a second before sighing, "But I'm actually here to ask you a favor."

"What favor?" JaeIn asks with eyebrows creased.

"Switch with me." As JaeIn opens to protests, Hyunri raises her hand in surrender to stop her. "Listen to me first. I know you're going to Macau to kill Marcus of Demons Run. And…I can't let that happen." She bites her lips, "I can't tell you the whole story, but I have a debt to settle with him. If anyone's going to kill him, it'll have to be."

"Still, I'm not..."

"Please, Jayn," Hyunri softly pleads, and the usage of her nickname startles her, because Hyunri never called her like that before. "I really need you to do this for me."

"...Fine," JaeIn finally agrees after some time. She always is a er for her teammates, and never before during the last two and a half years they worked together had she saw Hyunri looked so distraught and...frail. Gosh, frail. She never thought there would come a day where she would associate Hyunri with the word frail.

"Thank you," Hyunri says with relief. She takes out a package from her backpack and handed it to JaeIn. "This is your ticket, identity, and hotel reservation. You'll be using my name but I hacked the system and alter other stuffs so it'll fit you. The other necessities and explanation will be waiting for you on the hotel room."

JaeIn nods, and in return hands her own ticket over. "You still owe me an explanation, you know."

"I know, and I promise you that I'll explain everything after we're done," she promises with her hand already on the door knob, ready to leave. But after a bit of hesitation, she turns back and hugs the blonde girl. "Thanks, Jayn. You don't know how much this means to me."

As if her grateful tone is not enough to amaze her, Hyunri squeezes JaeIn's hand and says, "Take care."

Too shocked to move, JaeIn can only stays rooted to the ground and watch in silent as her teammates leave. She doesn't know why, but there's this unsettling feeling, like she might never see her again.

 

***

 

Back to that fateful day

 

It's as if time stand still as she stares at the man in front of her. How, how could this happen?!

She had made sure everything would be perfect. She had read and reread all the instructions once she reached Tokyo. She had pull all the strings needed to get the appropriate dress and for the masquerade event. She drilled all informations about the G-Dragon into her brain, had familiarized herself with him as much as possible within the short amount of time.

Yet she does not suspect a thing.

Her infiltration was really perfect. She blend seamlessly with the crowd. She spotted him earlier on and slowly made her way towards him, until she managed to dance with him and stealthily guided him to a more secluded place.

She had took out her silenced gun and cocked it at his stomach then, all the way keeping her eyes trained at his.

But then his breath hitched and he grips her arms tightly.

"JaeIn-ah?"

JaeIn feels like her heart stop at the sound of that familiar voice. Impossible...

"Ji...Jiyong oppa?"

They stare at each other's eyes, and the betrayed look in his eyes makes her take a step back. Her hand lose it's strength and along with the gun, fall to her side. But so does Jiyong's eyes.

"It's not supposed to be you," he shakily says. "We're not supposed to end like this!"

JaeIn looks at him confusedly, but colors were soon drained from her face once she realizes that they were surrounded by men, with their guns at the ready.     

It's a trap. And she's trap like a deer in the light of an oncoming truck.

Jiyong's eyes searches for her, and JaeIn watches as the Kwon Jiyong she knows disappear in front of her. Now the only one's left is G-Dragon, staring at her with cold eyes as he fixes his tuxedo and commands, "Take her back to our headquarter, and let no one see."

 

 

Name: Song JaeIn

Age: 22

Codename: Amber

 


Sorry that it took me so long to update, but college and assignments got the better of me :"" Moreover, i got exams coming and it's just hard to actually find time to sit down in front of my laptop and work my off to write.  Once again, I'm really sorry.

This chapter is more of an intermezzo, a flashback into JaeIn's past and how she was involved with G-Dragon or as she knows him, Kwon Jiyong. Also, it's sort of give us a glimpse of knowledge on how she got to meet Changmin back then at chapter 1. It should also serve as a bit of a teaser, with her mentioning the other members here and there. We'll meet them soon - either in the story or in another intermezzo.

As for the next chapter, we'll go back into present time, with Demons Run, Big Bang, JaeIn, and Yoora. There will be more team dynamic, and little by little the truth will unfold. So, stay tune, and do subscribe if you like this story. Comments and critics are much appreciated.:)

 

Lots of love,

slytherinprince