2

Forbidden Zone

After two hours at Yixing’s messy apartment, Kyungsoo found herself being forced to try on a pyramid of clothes much to her chagrin. It began with a mini black skirt, then a short white dress and at that moment, a pair of navy short that revealed her milky globes.

'Eww, Xing,' Kyungsoo said with pure disgust as she looked at herself in the mirror. She spun around to face Yixing. 'Can’t I just go in what I came with?'

The said girl shook her head. 'No, no, no. You will stand out like a sore thumb with your childish Sponge Bob shirt. Pleave try to save my face.'

'The shirt’s comfortable, okay?' Kyungsoo slid out of the shorts. 'I’ll only change my top. My skinny jeans are fine so don’t give me another excuse.'

Letting out an exasperated sigh, Yixing stood up from her bed and went back to her closet, rummaging through her pile of clothes.

-------

They left the apartment around seven after successfully picking out a top that they both agreed to. Yixing drove her Toyota in a parking lot nearby before they walked to the venue. Blasts of electronic beat and wild screaming greeted the girls as they entered the place, startling Kyungsoo a little. Unconsciously, she clung onto her taller friend. Yixing looked around, grinning and waving to the man who Kyungsoo recognised as Kris. He rose up a hand to signal his acknowledgement of therr arrival before retreating into the back of the stage.

'Is Kris a dancer?' Kyungsoo asked.

'No, he’s a rapper and recruiter. He’s got sharp eyes for those talented ones.'

The venue quickly filled up with people and wisps of cigarette began to emit in the air. Most of the people surrounding them were girls, who easily towered over Kyungsoo. Whilst Yixing didn’t face the same problem, she pushed their way to the front of the area to ensure that Kyungsoo would have an unobstructed view.

All the light suddenly went off, leaving the area in pitch black. A hip hop track slowly grew in volume and Kris emerged from the side of the stage, rapping to the song with glaring light focusing onto him. Another handsome man with feline eyes joined Kris, his deep voice a contrast to his rather feminine features. The audience whistled and screamed his name as he teasingly approached them.

Two hour later, the crowd’s excitement began to diminish. Just when Kyungsoo thought there weren’t going to be any screaming for the final act, the announcement of a group called ‘Typhoon’ had the audience going wild all over again. Especially the girls around them, who for the first time in the night, squealed like teenage girls instead of their usual screaming.

A group of six jumped onto the stage, their faces hidden behind the different coloured half-face masks.

'Kris said to look out for this group,' Yixing whispered into Kyungsoo’s ear. 'They’re the newbies.'

Kyungsoon’s jaw dropped unconsciously as she watched the group danced. They worked very well as a team, leaving almost no room for any mistakes. To her unprofessional eyes, their dancing seemed to be flawless.

She found her gaze constantly returning to the dancer with the black mask, who seemed to be the main dancer of the group, relishing the occasional darting of his tongue. y, she noted. The sight of his hands sliding down his nether region and his hips forward made Kyungsoo’s face heat up, a sense of discomfort formed in the pool of her stomach.  

When the group finished their act the crowd chanted for an encore. However, to their disappointment the conclusion to the event proceeded. The crowd began to leave reluctantly.

'They are very good,' Yixing commented, still standing in the same spot. 'Especially the one with the black mask.'

Kyungsoo merely nodded in reply. Yixing was an excellent music and dance teacher, and if the boy had got her praise then there was no doubt to his talent.

'Don’t think that I have missed how you were drooling when the black-masked dancer grab his crotch.'

Kyungsoo reddened. 'I was not drooling.'

'Aw, don’t be embarrassed. It’s perfectly normal to ogle at a fine piece of like that.'

They stayed in the area until Kris approached them, giving Yixing a kiss before she introduced him.

'Kyungsoo, this is Kris.' He hooked an arm around his girlfriend’s waist, flashing a tattoo of a scorpion on his shoulder.

Kyungsoo smiled and held out a hand. 'Hello.' With a quick glance, she mentally counted the numbers of ear piercing on both of his ears, fascinated by the different earrings.

'So this is the famous Kyungsoo that Yixing insists on wanting me to meet,' he said, shaking her hand. 'What did you think of the newbies?'

'If you meant that last group ‘Typhoon’ then hell yeah. I haven’t seen a group with such brilliant synchronisation for ages.'

'What about you, Kyungsoo?'

Before she could reply, Yixing said mischievously, 'I think she’s whipped by the main dancer.'

'Really?' Kris gave her an amused smile.

'She’s joking,' Kyungsoo denied. 'But I do think that he’s really good.'

'Do you wanna meet them? Let’s go to the back.'

As they were close to the room, Kris let go off Yixing and walked in front, leading them to his room. Yixing yelped as she got pinched by Kyungsoo.

'Don’t embarrass me in front of them or I’ll give you a bruise.'

Yixing pouted but gave no reply. Kris opened the door and called for the attention of the people in room.

'So this is Chanyeol.'  The man who collaborated with Kris for the opening act bounced up to them, giving a welcoming reply in his thundering voice. 'Hey there.'

He was cladded in snapback and hip-hop clothing.  Compared to Kris, he seemed quite tamed. Kyungsoo politely nodded in return while her friend stepped up and shook his hand. A boy with full cheeks bowed at them.

'That’s Minseok,' Kris said and then turned to another boy, whose eyes were heavy drawn in black kohl. 'And this is Baekhyun. They’re both in Typhoon. Where are the rest?'

'Jongdae’s busy texting someone. And the rest are probably goofing around like usual,' Baekhyun said before turning to the back of the room, hollering. 'Guys, come out.'

The remaining dancers appeared from behind the black curtain. Mortification dawned upon her when she recognised three of them.

'That’s Kai, Sehun, Luhan and Jongdae. Both Jongdae and Baekyun are the vocals,' Kris introduced. 'And everyone, this is Kyungsoo and Yixing. A warning to all of you, Yixing is my baby so don’t touch her.'

Making a face at her boyfriend’s lame remark, Yixing elbowed him in the stomach. Sehun maintained his stoic expression, while next to him, Jongin had a smirk on his face.

'What’s a surprise! I didn’t think I would ever see you here, Miss. Do,' Luhan exclaimed.

 I could say the same, Kyungsoo thought grimly.

'Wait, so you guys knew each other?' Chanyeol asked.

Luhan snorted, 'Of course we do. She’s our Bio teacher.'

Everyone gawked at Kyungsoo. Next to her, Yixing was laughing. Kyungsoo shot her a glare before mentally face-palmed at the situation.

'How old are you?' Minseok asked timidly. 'I thought you were a high school student.' With his mouth gaping, Chanyeol added. 'I thought so, too.'

By then, Yixing was leaning against against Kris for support as her laughed harder.

Kyungsoo answered in an indignant tone. 'I’m twenty-one. I just graduated from university last year.'

'Aw miss, don’t be offended. It’s a compliment for your baby face.'

Damn Luhan and her cheekiness, I’ll give the class extra homework tomorrow, Kyungsoo swore. Before they could any further, Kris suggested to go clubbing.

'But aren’t those three still underage?'

'Nope, everyone here is legal.'

------

Except for Kris, Chanyeol and Jongin, the rest had their identity cards checked, especially Luhan, who was double-checked. Kyungsoo and Yixing were astounded when they found out that Minseok was actually twenty-four. Talking about baby faces.

They sat down in a booth, Kris and Yixing took the corner with Kyungsoo was being squeezed awkwardly in between Yixing and Chanyeol. She shifted toward Yixing when she felt Chanyeol’s arm brushed against hers. Baekhyun sat next to Chanyeol, and she noticed that one of his arms subtly slid around the taller guy’s waist. Between Baekhyun and the young trio were Minseok and Jongdae, who tried to engage Kyungsoo in their conversation.

The deafeningly loud music and intense smell of smoke was making her uncomfortable. It had been merely fifteen minutes of her first time in a club and she already felt like exiting. However, she refrained, not wanting to ruin the fun of everyone.

She was puzzled when a waiter came to take their orders. Everyone had already made their decision and they were waiting for her. She bit her bottom lips, embarrassed by the fact that she didn’t know of what to order. Suddenly, Kai spoke to the waiter.

'Get her a J2O.' Seeing her anxious face, he explained, 'It’s just fruit juice. There is no alcohol in it.'

Surprised by his consideration, she stared at him briefly before thanking him. The waiter quickly returned with the drinks. After a few sips and some talking, the groups stood up and went to the dance floor, leaving behind Kyungsoo and Jongin with the former insisted on staying to guard their belonging. As for Jongin – simply because he was feeling tired.

Guilt gnawed at her conscience as she watched Jongin took swigs of his Heineken. In retrospect, she should have not agreed going to the club because really, what kind of a teacher sits and watches her students gulping down alcohol without saying anything? Though she doubted that they would listen to her even if she had tried to stop them.

His eyes suddenly met hers and she turned away, attention on her drink.

'Something on my face, Miss?' He asked teasingly.

Her cheeks were hot with embarrassment. 'How often do you go to clubs like this?'

He shrugged. "Maybe once or twice a week, depending on my mood."

She narrowed her eyes at him, clearly disapproved. 'Is it why you always come to my class and sleep? Because you waste your time in places like this instead of sleeping at home?'

'Don’t get bothered by my nap, I do that in other classes too.' He took another swig as he replied. 'And by the way, what I do out of class is none of your concern.'

Ignoring his latter comment, she said, 'You’ve already repeated a year. It wouldn’t be a good idea if you have to repeat another one.'

'But I won’t. My grades are average- not failing.'

'You can do better. You just need to put in some more effort.'

He sighed, beginning to feel annoyed. 'Look, I want to be a dancer and clearly, the subjects at schools aren’t going to be relevant to my career.'

'Then why did you pick those subjects?'

'Trust me, if I had a choice, I wouldn’t.'

Maybe the whole night had exhausted her; Kyungsoo felt quite weary for some reason and called the conversation a quit. Glancing at her watch, panic swiftly replaced the sense of fatigue as she realised that it was close to twelve. Her mother was going to kill her if she came home late.

She glanced around, frantically searching for Yixing amidst the sea of people. Just then, Jongdae returned from the dance floor for a break.

'Do you know where is Yixing?'

He shook his head. She huffed impatiently and stood up to look for her friend, but then sat down again, realising that she could get lost. Her gaze flickered between the watch and the crowd, lips pursing as she considered between the options of taking a cab and looking for Yixing.

'I’m going home now. Can you tell Yixing when she gets back?'

'How are you getting home? Didn’t Yixing drive you here?' Jongdae asked.

'I’m taking a cab.'

'You shouldn’t. This area is notorious for the dangerous taxi drivers,' he said. 'Just wait for Yixing.'

'But I really need to go home now. Are there any other types of transport that I can take instead?'

He shook his head. 'I don’t know.'

Once again, she fell into her seat, distress growing inside her by the minutes. Her neck craned constantly to look for her friend. The thought of receiving a lecture from her mother made her worried even more. Ms. Do could be quite scary when she wants to be.

'I’ll take you home. Let’s go.'

Kyungsoo turned to Jongin, who had already finished his bottle and was standing up with his leather jacket and keys in his hand. 'Are you out of your mind? You just had a bottle of beer and you want to drive me home?'

'A bottle isn’t even enough to make me tipsy. Plus, I did this many times before and I’m still standing here. So.'

She looked at him, eyes widening in incredulity.

'He’s not lying. His alcohol tolerance is really high so that bottle isn’t going to affect him much at all,' Jongdae assured her. 'If you really want to get home, then let him take you.'

Battling between her morals and her mother’s lecture, she gave in to Jongin’s proposal. 'Alright. Then tell Yixing when she comes back.'

'I will.'

Kyungsoo silently followed Jongin to the carpark. She looked at his bike and contemplated on rejecting the proposal because the fact that it wasn’t a car just intensified the danger factor in her head. While she had always wanted to be on one, this wasn’t the right or safe time.

He slid onto the bike, putting on his helmet and gloves then handed her a leather jacket and helmet. He raised an eyebrow at her when her eyes flickered up at his face and down at the items before reluctantly receiving them. She awkwardly climbed onto the seat behind him, hands holding onto the hard plastic behind for support.

The engine snarled as he turned the key. She let out a yelp as the bike took off. Her small hands fisted his jacket out of instinct and releasing them as soon as she realised it. He chuckled softly as she did so.

The hand accident repeated for a few times, causing Kyungsoo to flush. About the fifth time during his sudden speeding up, before she could release her fist, Jongin took her hands with one of his hand and placed them around his waist.

'It’s safer this way,' he said when she tried to pull her hands away.

They stopped about two blocks away from her house before twelve o’clock. Getting off the bike, she handed back his belonging.

'Thanks, Jongin.'

'No worries, Miss. See you in class tomorrow.'

------

That night, Kyungsoo went to bed with a tingling and elevated sensation that remained from the bike ride. The image of his sensual expression flashed back in her mind. Holding her hands against her lips, she remembered his body warmth. The realisation of her actions mortified her. Immediately, she brought her hands away from , shaking her head repeatedly, trying to push away the memory.

She would forget everything by tomorrow after a good sleep. At least, she hoped so.