The Flower

Don't Lie to Me

Kim Soo Ro was in his office when he received a phone call. Hesitating before he picked it up, he sighed and answered the phone.

“Hello?”

“Hello team leader Kim. Jenny and her workers have exceeded my expectations. I need you to distract the team for a while so that I set them back a few steps.”

“How much time do you need?”

“Half an hour. Figure something out… I’ll be watching…”

Calls like this have been so frequent that Kim Soo Ro no longer looks around to look for any suspicious activity. He knows that this person is obviously smarter and is at least a few steps ahead of him.

“Oh, and um… good job on handing these cases over to them. I really appreciate it.”

“You’re welcome.”

The phone call ended when someone knocked on the door.

“Come in.”

The door opened slowly and one of data analysts head appeared from behind it, “Um… team leader Kim. I have something to tell you.”

“Well don’t just stand there. What is it?”

The data analyst pushed up his glasses with his gloved hand, “I just wanted to say that we have gathered enough evidence to put our suspect in jail.”

“Okay. I’ll be right out. Prepare the conference room.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Noona, I was really happy when you said that you were giving up your lunch time for some time with me but I didn’t know you were just using me for your case…” Jungkook pouted.

You laughed and turned to Ji Won, “Ji Won- ah, can you help me out?”

Ji Won crossed her arms, “I still can’t believe that you’re a detective… I have to keep telling myself that your Jenny unni and not Jae Mi.”

“Sorry guys, but we really need to know if Ok Soo Hee had a boyfriend or someone who might have given her a necklace.”

“I didn’t even know she had a necklace,” Yeon Mi confessed.

“So all three of you can say that she never wore a red necklace?” Seung Heon asked.

All three nodded in unison. “She always hung out with the three female students who jumped. She always seemed happy with acting so I don’t understand why she would jump.”

“No one understood why she jumped,” Yeon Mi added, “no one understood why any of them jumped.”

“Do you guys know anything about a maestro?”

“A maestro?” Jungkook repeated.

“There was a fleeting rumour that they were in some cult but that was because they were so secretive about their acting club.”

“That’s very good, Yeon Mi-ah!” you complimented with a pat to the back.

“Thanks unni, I really want to be a detective like you. You’re so cool and if the men that I work with are half as good looking as Seung Heon oppa...”

“Aish!” you playfully flicked her forehead.

“Hey, what’s going on here?” a familiar voice filled the room.

“Mr Georgalis!” you shouted out as you hopped out of your chair and into his arm.

“Hello Jenny,” Mr Georgalis smiled as he returned the hug, “I would ask you why you were here but I already know.”

“You must be psychic then,” you joked.

Mr Georgalis broke the hug with a question, “So do you have anything to ask me?”

Jungkook watched as you and Mr Georgalis conversed in English and let out a dreamy sigh, “She is even more beautiful when she speaks English…”

Seung Heon narrowed his eyes at Jungkook and sent death glares to the back of the teen’s head.

Ji Won scoffed, “Please, she is way out of your league.”

“And legal age range!” Yeon Mi added.

Jungkook scoffed, “Not in three years…”

~~~~~~~

Seung Heon joined you in the car and saw you reading looking at scribbles in your notepad. He chuckled to himself as he started the engine.

“What?”

Seung Heon leaned over and reached for your seatbelt, “For a digital person, you’re still pretty analog.”

You acknowledged Seung Heon’s statement with a nod, “I do it because I like to look at my handwriting.”

You flipped through a few pages, “Mr Georgalis said that the word, ‘maestro’, was thrown around a few times during his English classes. He doesn’t know who said it exactly but apparently the girls themselves haven’t even met this maestro guy.”

“So he must have sent the necklace to Ok Soo Hee’s house…”

“Ok Soo Hee left her house that evening and didn’t come home but she had recently applied make up on her face and her hair was done up nicely.”

“How much do you want to bet that she stayed at maestro’s place?” Seung Heon smiled confidently as he started driving.

You let out a small laugh, “I’ll call Jae Kyung unni to get things ready for us, back at headquarters.”

~~~~~~~~~

Jae Kyung had managed to follow the events that happened the previous night through CCTV footages. You all watched as Ok Soo Hee casually checking her phone before skipping into the apartment building.

“That does not like someone who was planning to commit suicide…” Jae Kyung pointed out.

Kwang Soo sighed, “Yeah but now her parents’ lawyers are going to say that we didn’t try to save a life of someone who wanted to live.”

“It’s really strange, I’ve watched this countless of times and I got Jong Hyun to find the owner of the apartment. It belongs to someone living in Australia and after further research, it looks like Ok Soo Hee just knew the passcode to get in,” Jae Kyung exhaled, “We’re kind of back to square one.”

Kwang Soo straightened up his stance and crossed his arms, “Hey, what did the girl shout out when she fell down?”

“The flower will bloom again,” Seung Heon answered.

Kwang Soo raised his eyebrows, “The flower will bloom again? What does that mean? Did the other girls say that?”

With your eyes fixated on the computer screen, you mumbled, “Yeah… and why did she say that looking directly into my eyes?”