Moonlight

Moonlight

           Cool. That's how I would describe the night. Cool. And that's hopefully what would describe how I'm looking right now because on the inside I'm anything but cool.  The sun had just set and a light wind had blown in as if it was finally saying night was here and settled. I'm out by the Han River, and just finished watching the sunset and the moon rise. The cool wind blows on my face, sending some river mist to blow in my direction and settle on my face.

            I reminisce about how beautiful the sunset was and how she would love to have seen it. She adores sunsets, and sunrises. She often drags me with her to various places, hills, park, big huge windows, and rooftops, just to see the sunset. At first I didn't get the point of it. The sunset. It was gorgeous, yes. But we saw it everyday and I was getting annoyed.  She could sense my annoyance and one day she stopped our daily routine of seeing the sunset. At first I didn't notice because I was so busy. But then I realized how much I missed her presence. When we watched the sunset it would usually be one of our only ways to spend time together after our difficult training and school work. After practice one day I went over to her house. I tried to be romantic and mysterious but she ended up just getting mad at me. I dragged her to the dorms' rooftop. 

            She stopped me before we entered.  " What are we doing here Hansol?" She asked. By her expression you could tell she was excited yet doubtful of what I was doing. 

             " Yah. Are you doubting me?" She didn't speak.   I looked at her and smiled. "Don't worry, you're in for a treat." 

            Then I winked. That action seemed to put her more at ease and she smiled.  God, seeing her smile was absolute heaven. It would light up her entire face. And when she was smiling at you, it made you feel like the only person in the world. Truely cherished and loved.  I opened the door to the rooftop and she gasped.  Taking her hand I let her to the chairs and small table I had set up, pulling out a chair for her to sit at she gracefully sat down. I don't know how she does things so gracefully sometimes, she's usually really clumsy. Except when she dancing or maybe when she's just being herself. I'm not so sure anymore actually, now that I think about she's just got this air of confidence in her that I can describe and maybe that's why I like her so much. The thought of her makes me smile.  I sit down next to her and see that she's looking at the sunset. She turns to me and I smile. 

          "Why are you smiling?" She asks.  "It nothing." I reply. But I think it just may be something because were together again watching the sunset and I know that makes her happy.  We don't speak anymore. We let the cool air Come in between us as we watch the clouds turn into various shades of pinks, purples, oranges, and yellow. The sun slowly sets and she sighs. Sadly, as she knows the day has come to an end. She's happy though because then the moon will come out.

          She turns to me and finally says something. 

              "Thank you," 

         I smile, knowing that she's happy makes me happy. Now we can watch the sunset again and all that will be between us is pure bliss. 

               "And your forgiven." 

          How did she...? 

        How did she know that?! 

           Okay. Okay. Okay. The reason for that was, oh god, it was the guilt. It was eating me up inside! I felt bad, okay? I felt guilty that I made her feel as if it was her fault for spending our time on something that seemed so useless. I knew she felt as if it was her fault I was mad or annoyed with her and for a short time I was. I wanted to do something more "productive" during our time together. So I guess my "manly needs" and "lust" got the best of me. But for her I'd do anything to make her happy because when she's happy, I'm happy. That's the whole reason I set up this whole meeting. So we could settle this conflict. Now that the conflicts settled, watching the sunset again is so much more nicer than it was the last time. Especially since it's with her. 

          "Thank you." I say. The moon begins to show it's face, I turn to look at her smiling at the moon, it's light shining off her face. She's beautiful.  I hold her hand. She stiffens and her expression changes. I can tell she's shocked. She smiles again, and I can't help but do the same. 

          I smile at the memory. Running my fingers through ny hair as I look up at the moon and think about her. I decided to meet her again today. But not at the usual spot on the rooftop. I wanted to meet her at the Han River. The forecast said it would be a clear night so I thought "Why not?" , and decided to ask her on a date. I told her we could go on a walk and hang out, it wasn't much, yet she said okay. She said it so cheerfully too. Which made me not want to disappoint her. Hopefully I wouldn't today. 

           I looked at my watch to check the time.  Where is she? I wondered. I hope I'm not being stood up. Then just to my luck I heard a voice call out "Hansol!" I turn around and spot her hurting towards me almost tripping. "Oops!" She exclaims then greets me with a huge hug practically jumping into my arms. But I'm not complaining though, hugs are awesome especially from her she tries and wraps her arms around my waist and clasps her hand behind my back and gives me a squeeze. "I'm so sorry I'm late!" She looks flushed her cheeks are red and her brown eyes are bright and full of something I can't decipher. "It's alright," I reply "are you hungry?" I ask.

       "Starving!" She shouts. I laugh at her excitement for food.  We begin to walk to the nearest resturaunt. She explains about how she had to stay at school for so long because of soccer practice and how she had to take her little sister to gymnastics.  "I mean of course I'm glad that she's doing because st first she wasn't gonna do it but I feel as if training with the national team might take down her self confidence because come on it's THE national junior team for women's gymnastics. You know what I mean right?" She says as she takes a bite of her noodles.  "Of course." I say after consuming my part of the noodles we're sharing. "You feel that instead of this making her feel better at her skills it just might actually tear her down."  "Exactly! Thank you!"  She takes another bite of the noodles and then looks around the room observing the people and taking in the aura. I do the same and find that the restaurant is almost empty, but the feel here is so soothing and cool. Music plays in the back ground and the sweet voice singing is almost as sweet as the desserts.  "Want the last bite?" I turn my head back to her and find her with her chopsticks in the air holding the last noodles. I grin and open my mouth. "Ahh." I say. And she feeds me the noodles which now taste alot more better because of her.

      After, I payed for our dinner with much whining coming from my date. After exiting the restaurant we didn't know what to do anymore so we decided to walk around the city for a bit. It was getting late and colder but we didn't care. It was a really nice night. The cars were going at there usual pace but the fast paced walkers were gone and only a few people were going at there own pace. She walked beside me and sighed. It was something she had been doing a lot lately. Is something bothering her?

          "No, nothing's bothering me." 

     Crap, she wasn't suppose to hear that.  I chuckle nervously and try to explain my self and change the subject, but she beats me to it. 

        "Really nothing's bothering me." She explains.  "It's just," she stops abruptly by the corner of the road and runs her fingers through her long dark hair and smiles. "I just love Seoul at night!"  I look at her in amusement. She was looking all bothered just because of a city? But then again I could feel the same way especially with New York City, my glorious hometown.  The corners of my mouth began to turn upwards. "And why's that?" I ask in amusment turning my body to her as we walk across the street. Due to her lack of height compared to me, she looks up and says "Because it Soul-City baby!" She exclaims, throwing her arms out for emphasis almost hitting a poor bystander. "Oh sorry!" She apologizes but the guy grunts. She laughs turning to me and continuing her explanation of why she loves Seoul city, she goes on about the aura of it the feel and style of the people. How they have something special in each one of them that contributes to the soul of the city. She laughs again because of her ridiculous pun. I laugh too but it's because her laugh is so infectious. 

         "You see Hansol, the reason I truely love Seoul is because there's all these super duper little things that contribute to make this one big, HUGE, city so damn fabulous."  I chuckle at the way she describes and uses her arms when she's talking. Her vocabulary would put any writer to shame and she's so amazingly smart in school. All honors classes and she just transfered to my school. One of the top schools in Korea, said to be the best and only for the best. Damn, I think, if there was one word to describe her and her academics, it would be perfect. She grabs my arms and pulls me down to her height and looks me straight in the eye. We're so close I can see every outline of her face and smell her spice scented breathe. For a second it makes me want to kiss her, right then and there in the middle of Seoul city. But I can't because I know she would most likely hate me and never forgive me for it.  "But one thing that's so damn fabulous about this city is the lights!" She continues with wide eyes. 

"The lights?" I asked confused.

"Yes the lights!" She shrieks. "The light are the stars of the city and even though we cant see stars in the city, it's most likely the reason why we have so many lights to make up for the stars we can see. I believe that the lights of this city highlights it's most important and unimportant features. Well that's my theory but whenever I finally look up from the sidewalk and take time to stop my journey to wherever I'm going I stand at the side the street like this." 

She pulls me in between the bystanders and places me at the side of the road where all the cars are whooshing past.  "Look around" she tells me. "And observe, look, admire, tonight Hansol, Seoul city shall be our city tonight. She outlandishly waves an arm and I obseve the city. I have to admit, The city is beautiful tonight. 

We walk around some more, and I take her out to the Han river and we walk along the edge. This night is finally cool and there's not alot of light here besides the light coming from the lampposts. The moon is fully out showing most of it's face. She loops her arm into mine and we keep walking along the edge. We both smile at each other's company. I'm not sure about her but I'm legitimately on cloud nine. Having her around me made me have this indescribable feeling in my stomach. Oh god, I hope it's not from the noodles.  A comfortable silence settles between us until she decides to speak.

"Did you know that the moonlight is fake?" 

"What?" 

"Okay well not completely. You see when the sun sets the moon comes up. And really, when the sun sets it moves to the other side of the earth and the sun of course never dies, so the sun's light reflects of the moon's surface since the moon does not create it's own light, yet the sun does. So, all in all, the sun's light reflects off of the moon's surface creating moonlight, but it's also know as moonshine too. Pretty cool right?" Finishing her lengthy description she turns to me and gives me a small smile waiting for my reply.  I smile back and reply honestly, "I never knew that." Trying to consume what she had just said was hard because I was being so distracted by her actions and expressions. She was just so cute and gorgeous under the moonlight. Like the light of Seoul city highlighted its features, the moonlight highlights all of her features. 

"Well it's true." She says firmly, with a determine look on her face. "I believe that the moon dies everynight just to let the sun live."  I nod in agreement; yet not seeing where she's going with this.  "You know the saying 'Behind every good man is a good woman'?"  I nod in agreement again, turning to her to get a better look at her trying to find some sort of sign that will point me in a direction to what she's saying.  "Well I believe that the sun is the woman and that makes the moon, or the man, a good man because of the way the sun creates the moonlight. And without the sun the moon wouldnt be a good man he would just merely be a regular man. Do you get what I'm saying?"

"Sort of..." I trail off uncertaintly. 

She groans. "Ugh okay, try and get this into your mind Hansol and make sense of this."  She stops us at the side of the river leaning across the railing, looking over the river.  "Without a woman, or the sun there would not be a good man, or the moon's light. Got it?"  It takes me a while but then I get it. 

"So it's kind of like me and you." I realize.

"What?!" She says incredulously. 

Now it's my turn to groan.  "Okay sweetheart, get this, you're like the sun, and throughout these few weeks you've supported me and helped me throughout these various trials I've encountered in my life. And without you I feel as if I would be nothing, because you wouldn't have been there to push me to do my best. So you are like the sun and you help me bring out my best, my radiance, you could say, my moonlight. Because of you, I wouldnt have any "moonlight". So because of that, thank you."  I stare at her for a long time and admire her expression on her face mixed with confusion, realization, and embarrassment. A light red shade covers her cheeks and she realizes I've just complimented her.  She turns away from me, still embarrassed and red. "Thank you." She says genuinely. "That's one of the nicest compliments anyone has every said to me.  Comfortable silence falls over us and she loops her arms through mine again as we stare at the river, the city lights reflecting off of the water. Minutes pass and we enjoyed the time we have together.  "Well," she starts off. "You know what I said about the city light and how they make up for the loss of stars?" 

I nod, grinning at her, waiting to see what she's going to say this time.  "Well," she begins again turning around and looking at me. "There's also another thing that makes up for the loss of stars." 

"Oh?" I say unexpectedly. "And what's that?" 

"You." 

"Bwoh?!" I shout surprisingly.  She laughs. "Yes, you. You're the star that makes up for all the real stars I can't see.  You're a real star. A singer, a performer, and one day you're going to be big and the whole world will call you to a star. But to me you'll be a special star. You'll be the one that brightens up my night. You're the star that makes my life better each day because," she stops abruptly, turning away with a shy smile before continuing. "Because you light up my world." 

I feel my cheeks heat up and my stomach churning with this indescribable feeling that's both good and bad. What she said was so unbelievably cheesey.  

"Well you're my moon" I say to her, twisting her own words. "You seem to shine whenever I'm with you and because of that you light up my world. You light up whatever darkness in my life with your moonlight. You're happiness is the sun and your face is the moon and however silly it seems right now, because of your face and your charismatic spirit you make life more enjoyable and fun during harsh times. You light up my world." I take her hand and give it a squeeze. I press off the railing and pull her along, telling her it's late and that we should get going. I drop her off at her house. As we stand on the porch we don't do anything but exchange small smiles. The wind blows through her hair, giving off a floral scent. It attacks my nose and suddenly she's everywhere. She looks at me and it's making me nervous. My palms feels sweaty, I begin to burn up, and that feeling in my stomach that I've been having all night comes up again. 

"I had a good time tonight Hansol, thank you."

"It's no problem." I say reassuringly. "As long as you had fun." 

"I did, goodnight Hansol." She begins to walk inside but I grab her hands and stop her.  "Wait." I say but it comes out as a whisper. She gives me a confused look and suddenly we're moving closer. In one quick movement I peck her cheek, not going any further so I don't scare her. 

"Goodnight."

And she walks inside never turning her back to me, her face a shade of pink. I wink at her and her smile grows bigger. 

As I walk back to the dormitories, I think of how perfect this night has been and how I've been able to spend it with her. After those things she's said to me makes me want to try harder at what I do.  God, and she was so gorgeous tonight too. I don't think I'll ever forget that look on her face when I kissed her under the moonlight. If the moon had a face I swear it would be her's because tonight she was radiant, just like the moonlight.

 

 

Author's note:

Oh my god. That was so unbelievably cheesy and I swear to god that this whole story isn't even that good.Especially that last line like Holy smokes, sooo bad. I'm so sorry about that I had a writer's block last minute and i really wanted to finish the chapter.

ANYWAYSSS,

i really hope you guys liked this and really thanks for reading it, feel free to put a comment to say just about anything, you know, tips and such, Thank you for reading! ^.^

And if you want to find out more about this extraordinary, moon-lit OC, keep reading and following! ^.^