Chapter 2

Tell Me Now

 

It was only four days later that Baekhyun couldn’t stand staying at his apartment, practically doing nothing except for sleeping, showering and calling the delivery service of the chinese restaurant nearby for takeouts. Watching his television set and jailed in his room definitely all day apparently weren’t pleasant things for Baekhyun. Came to think of it, being inside without getting fresh air for a long time wasn’t a good thing, so Baekhyun decided to just go to the library for a while to relieve his stress and at least being outside. He was sure a fifteen minute walk won’t hurt anyways. Besides, Baekhyun kind of wanted to see Chanyeol. Was he still there? It was the longest time for Baekhyun not seeing the latter.

Baekhyun stopped midway seeing the lanky man in black in his usual spot standing not too far in front of him. His hands were in his jacket pocket. At least Chanyeol didn’t forget to wear his jacket today. His beautiful face looked so serious and sad, his brows curled and his lips thinned into a line. The black jacket and black skinny jeans Chanyeol wore were contrasting the sidewalk blanketed with fallen orange Autumn foliages from the trees. Baekhyun sighed, didn’t know whether to feel relieved or sad that Chanyeol was still standing there.

Seeing Chanyeol again made Baekhyun remember the accident that made him have to use the crutches. His intention to come to the library was long forgotten. Come to think of it, he remembered he didn’t even do anything for Chanyeol except saying his gratitude. He frowned at the thought, thinking of what should he do for Chanyeol to at least show that he felt very happy that Chanyeol was there to help him when nobody else did. His eyes swept his surroundings and landed on a vending machine not too far from the florist. A hot tea in a cold autumn day was a nice combination, isn’t it? Baekhyun walked to the vending machine while fishing his pocket taking some cashes out of it. He plunged his cash to the machine and hoped that it won’t swallow his money without giving him his tea, typical sidewalk vending machine. Thankfully it didn’t and he smiled at it. He bought two cups of jasmine tea, one for himself and one for Chanyeol. He sighed when he realized that it wasn’t an easy task to bring two cups of hot tea while balancing himself with the crutches. Now he was risking himself to get two cups of hot tea spilling over his sweater. Nevertheless, he smiled contently when he saw the smoke was billowing from the little hole in the cup lid in his hands and felt his hands warming up just by holding it.

Baekhyun stepped over to Chanyeol. The latter didn’t even notice him, too absorbed to his own thoughts. Baekhyun stopped behind him and patted Chanyeol’s shoulder. The taller was obviously startled and clumsily spun around with his eyes comically wide. Baekhyun couldn’t help not to giggle at it. He was still as beautiful as the last time he saw him, Baekhyun thought.

“Ah, Baekhyun-ah!” It didn’t take long for Chanyeol to recognize Baekhyun even though he just met the latter once.

Baekhyun was grateful that Chanyeol still remembered him so that he won’t be a random stranger giving Chanyeol a cup of tea in an autumn day. “You remember me?” He smiled brightly.

“Of course. I have a good memory.” Chanyeol smiled a bit. His smile wasn’t reaching his eyes as usual. “How’s your ankle, Baekhyun?”

“It’s getting better, at least it isn’t killing me anymore.” He shrugged to balance himself with his crutches, then reaching out his good hand in front of Chanyeol’s lips. “Here. It’s for you.”

“For me? What is it?” Chanyeol was almost cross-eyed, seeing a cup of unidentified thing in front of him warming his face with its smoke.

Baekhyun chuckled to it. “It’s hot tea. Jasmine tea. Isn’t today cold? I bought it for you.” He shook the cup slowly, careful not to spill the content. “It’s for helping me and taking me to the doctor four days ago.”

“Baekhyun, you don’t need to do this. I did that because I wanted to help.” Chanyeol sighed. He took the tea and circled his hands on it though. The warmth was slowly seeping through his cold fingers.

“It’s okay . It’s really nothing compared to what you’ve done to help me.” Baekhyun smiled and started sipping his tea. His face suddenly contorted. His brows furrowed and his eyes shut, his lips frowned. He swallowed the tea quickly, didn’t want it to linger to his tongue for too long. At the same time, Chanyeol brought the tea to his lips and touched his lips to the cup rim. “Ehm, Chanyeol. Don’t—“

Before Baekhyun could finish his words, Chanyeol had sipped his tea. His face immediately contorted into the one like Baekhyun was. His expression looked torn between spitting it out and swallowing it, but since spitting it out in front of Baekhyun wouldn’t be so nice, so he just swallowed it quickly like the latter did.

“Um, Chanyeol.” Baekhyun his nape. His face reddened. “I think.. I think it’s out of its expiration date.”

“Yeah..” Chanyeol was still feeling the overly salty taste all over his tongue and his face still scrunched. “I think so too.”

“It’s not so nice. The tea. I’m sorry?” Baekhyun already looked to his surroundings looking for a trashbin to throw out his tea.

“Nah, it’s okay.” Baekhyun looked back at Chanyeol, their eyes locked for awhile before their scrunched faces broke into wide grins, finding the situation a little bit funny.

Baekhyun was mesmerized by Chanyeol’s smile. It was reaching his eyes. Finally. Even though it was just a short ten seconds but he was so happy because of it. Chanyeol’s teeth were pearly white and his right eye was twitching a bit, a little bit creepy but at the same time was so beautiful, how could a man have such a precious smile like that? And it made Baekhyun fly to the ninth cloud that the smile was caused by him. He found himself couldn’t break his gaze to the taller, completely mesmerized. It was only broken when Chanyeol started bringing the tea near to his face.

“At least it warms my hands and face. My face’s freezing.” Chanyeol closed his eyes, feeling the smoke lingering to the tip of his nose and giving him warmth.

Baekhyun grinned even wider. “Such a positive man we got here.” He chuckled and did the same, feeling the warm smoke on his cheeks and nose. “Guess I have to buy two other cups for us.”

“No Baekhyun it’s ok—“

Chanyeol’s words was cut off by Baekhyun. “No. I insist. I have to, I want to do something for you to pay your kindness to me.” He folded his arms in front of his chest.

The taller scratched his nape “If you wanted tea, I know this place three blocks from here. They have good tea and delicious cakes. I’ve been being a regular there but lately my favorite food isn’t served because there’s something happened with the chef serving it.” He frowned. “If you want, we can come there. They say the chef will be back to work in a week but it’s okay, I can buy some other things there. I think it might be nice too.”

Baekhyun was surprised by Chanyeol’s offer. Isn’t it the teashop he was working at that Chanyeol referred to? If it was, Baekhyun couldn’t just come to the teashop with his crutches while he was taking his furlough. Junmyeon hyung would be lecturing him happily because the poor Baekhyun should’ve just stayed home instead of going around in the cold with his injured ankle.

“What’s the name of the teashop?” Baekhyun asked, feigning innocence.

“It’s EXO. The interior is cute with some planet and galaxy miniatures hung in the ceiling. Heard once that EXO means exoplanet. The owner wants to make the atmosphere in the teashop like in some other planets out of our galaxy. It’s cool really. But I guess this one waitress named Tao is really an alien from outer galaxy because his gaze is murderous but at the same time I feel like pinching him because of his cute demeanor.” Chanyeol started with his long explanation. “Weird much, huh? But their orange pannacota and green tea is the best in town, I guess.” Chanyeol curled and uncurled his tip of fingers around the tea cup. “I feel happy after eating it, but it’s really unfortunate that there’s something happening with the chef and they can’t serve it for about a week.” He frowned.

Baekhyun took down a note in his mind about Chanyeol’s review to EXO and made sure he would remember his words about Tao because he would tell the younger that someone said he was like an alien, but he surely would leave out the cute thing. An idea popped in Baekhyun’s head. “Uhm Chanyeol.. I can make orange pannacota and green tea. I actually like to make one on my weekends. It’s my comfort food. Maybe it won’t be as delicious as the one in EXO, but perhaps you can give it a try?” Baekhyun stared hopefully to Chanyeol. “We can go to my apartment and I can make one for you.” He bit his lips nervously. Chanyeol might just reject him because they barely knew each other and no one could assure that Baekhyun wouldn’t do bad things to Chanyeol, even though Baekhyun sure he wouldn’t do it. “Only if you want. You know, I just want to thank you.”

Chanyeol shrugged. “Sure. It’s not like you can do bad things to me with your injured ankle. But let me help you to make it okay? I just wanna make sure you don’t poison my orange pannacota.” He smiled.

Baekhyun couldn’t help to not smile back. “Sure thing, Chanyeol.”

 

--

 

Chanyeol rummaged through Baekhyun’s kitchen drawer looking for what he thought were powdered gelatin, sugar and heavy cream. There were many dessert ingredients in it and he was blind with anything associated with cooking, not to mention making dessert. He was randomly taking out things and Baekhyun just sighed quietly when Chanyeol couldn’t even find the sugar. Baekhyun insisted to Chanyeol that he could take the ingredients out by himself but Chanyeol just didn’t let him because the drawer was hung above the kitchen counter and Baekhyun had to tiptoe to take it out. He pouted, really, it was not that Baekhyun didn’t have legs or what.

Chanyeol dropped the ingredients on to the kitchen counter in front of Baekhyun with a smug smile. “See, I can do it.”

“But you took ten minutes to take it out while I can do it in a minute, Chanyeol.” He folded his arms in front of his chest, then shook his head. “Look at that mess you make.” Chanyeol just smiled sheepishly to Baekhyun and the latter just glared at him.

“Sorry, Baekhyun but can we just make it now? I’m kind od hungry.” “He patted his stomach, staring at Baekhyun with eyes full of hope.

The older just let it pass and gathered the ingredients and tools in front of him, starting to cut the powdered gelatin open. He then instructed Chanyeol to pour water into the bowl and sprinkle the powdered gelatin into it, meanwhile Baekhyun was heating the cream, sugar, orange peel and vanilla in a medium saucepan, stirring ocassionally.

It didn’t take long for them to make the mixture, but it took about two hours to wait it cooling down and edible. They propped on Baekhyun’s red wine living room couch with Baekhyun facing Chanyeol.

“So, tell me about yourself, Chanyeol.” Baekhyun said softly, rested his chin on his palm.

Chanyeol cleared his throat. “I’m sure my life isn’t that interesting but all I can say is I’m 19 and I’m a college student majoring engineering. I live alone in my apartment downtown near the city library, because my parents were in Japan busy with their business and teaching my elder sister to inherit it. My friends call my “Happy Virus” but they’ve stopped calling me that since—“ Chanyeol stopped immediately, his eyes darting at everything in Baekhyun’s apartment except to the owner. His hands fiddled.

“It’s okay Chanyeol you don’t have to tell me if you can’t. I’m fine with it.” Baekhyun rested his hand on the latter’s shoulder to pacify him. He could feel the tensed shoulder under his hand relaxed a bit and he continued. “My turn.” He smiled when Chanyeol looked back at him. “We’re at the same age. Isn’t it great? Mine is May.”

“Guess I have to call you hyung, because mine is November.” Chanyeol’s eyes widened. “I thought you were younger than me because.... because you were tiny.” He chuckled when Baekhyun smacked his forearm.

“No Chanyeol, my height is average. You were the one who is too tall. I guess you drink a galon of milk when you were a baby.” He glared. “Okay lemme continue before I want to hurl you out of my apartment. I also live alone as you can see. I initially lived him with my bestfriend Lu Han but he went back to his hometown in Beijing after graduating from his college few months ago. I kind of miss him every second but I’m happy that he was happy there in China.” Baekhyun sighed, pouted a little. Talking about Lu Han always made him sad because the latter was like his other half. They’ve known each other since Baekhyun was in middle school and they’ve been like brothers since then.

“Are you sure you two are just friends? Chanyeol asked with a teasing smile flashed on his handsome face. But the smile turned into a pout when Baekhyun smacked him once again.

“Of course! He has a boyfriend. His name is Sehun and I’m the one introducing him to Lu Han. And that rich- kid is now in China, transferring school in his last year of high school just to be with Lu Han, so I’m practically have no friend here.” Baekhyun held the urge to curse to his two bestfriends who dare to leave him alone. Chanyeol just staring at Baekhyun, amused at the sight of the older with red face and brows curled in annoyance.

“Okay..” Chanyeol drew his word longer, not sure what to say. “So that’s about Lu Han and Sehun. I’m sure you will make new friends here, I can be your friend if you want. Didn’t you say that it is great that we’re at the same age?” He smiled to calm Baekhyun down. “Besides, Lu Han and Sehun are happy in China and you can visit them sometime or just threat them to visit you here or else you will cut them out of your list of best friend. See, it’s easy right?”

Baekhyun smiled at that, his eyes were twinkling as if Chanyeol was a genius throwing the greatest idea in the world. “Yes yes you’re right. I’m sure I’ll do that later when I miss them so much. So back to myself, I’m working now while saving for my college. I want to go to a college in China so that I can be with Lu Han and Sehun again but my parents just can afford that much so I have to save money for myself. By working I’ll have some experience and money. Killing two birds with one stone.”

They were talking about themselves just like that over cups of very hot green tea because Baekhyun like it hot, very hot. He felt that it was great to have friends other than Taozi and Yixing even though he still kept it to himself that he was working in EXO. He just wanted to make it as a surprise when Chanyeol went to EXO next time he was back working. Baekhyun also still didn’t know why Chanyeol always stood there in his spot in front of the florist and he thought that someday Chanyeol would tell him when the right time came.

The orange pannacota was cooling down and almost edible in a few minutes. Both of them got very excited. Baekhyun was very happy that Chanyeol could open up to him and befriend him, even though they’ve just known each other for some days. Baekhyun also found the taller man as a nice man with a fun personality. He felt contented that Chanyeol could forget his sadness for a while when he was with him over small talks and jokes.

It was when Chanyeol’s phone rang and his expression panicked, Baekhyun was left there with cooled down orange pannacottas, because the taller couldn’t even eat his favorite dessert. Chanyeol left Baekhyun’s apartment in a hurry and murmuring apologies, before Baekhyun could even ask him why he had to leave.

Baekhyun was left there staring blankly at two plates of orange pannacottas, before throwing it out to his trashbin.

 

 

 


 

omg the story is not going anywhere T-------------T what i mean is Baekhyun felt disappointed because Chanyeol left him.

sorry for the grammatical error and typos it's unbetaed.

HIKS SORRY HIKS