05

Karmic Boomerang

 

change [noun]
the process or result of something or someone becoming different
I find it hard to cope with change.

 


 

"Bye bye Hyukjae, I will miss you!" Minah shouted to the Prince who was already on the horse.
 
"I will miss you too! Visit me often and I will too!"Hyukjae shouted back.
 
He was now behind the Donghae on the same horse he was riding just now. He did not understands just what was happening right now, he is confused.
 
Not long ago, his mother and Donghae had just suddenly came to him and told him that they will be leaving to the palace. Everything after that was a blur to him and now he just somehow ended up on a horse with Donghae. Jin ah was with Changmin.
 
"Are you ok? You look pale." Donghae had turned around and asked him.
 
"I'm ok..." He answered, unable to say anymore words.
 
"Oh, we haven't introduced ourselves yet. Hi, I'm Donghae." The emperor stretched out his well hand for a handshake.
 
The Prince stared at him for a while before realising that he should have returned the gesture. He quickly shoved his hand out and replied, "I'm Hyukjae..."
 
Hyukjae... Ok then let's forget about Eunhyuk. Donghae thought to himself.
 
"Well, we will be leaving soon. You can hold on to me if you want to." Donghae spoke as he turned to Changmin and signalled for him to start moving.
 
Once the horse had started moving, Hyukjae felt unstable. It was not like how it was just now when he was alone on the horse where he could grab onto the rein. He tried his best to balance himself on the horse but when he could no longer take it, his hand grabbed onto Donghae's waist unconsciously.
 
Then, he could feel one hand directing his arms to wrap around Donghae's waist, one hand holding onto the other on his stomach.
 
Hyukjae felt weird, the position they were in right now was awkward. It was not like they knew each other really well but they had only met that day and had only knew each others' names not long ago. Also, the fact they are both guys made Hyukjae felt even weirder.
 
After sometime, Hyukjae had gotten over the weird feeling he had, though it did not mean that he was fine with it. He had simply gotten more used to it. Hyukjae had then started to pay attention to the surroundings. He felt like he had grown so much taller and he could see the streets he always roamed from a totally different point of view.
 
The way back was really long and at some point of time, Hyukjae had fell asleep. When his head had landed on Donghae's back and most of his weight on Donghae too, the emperor knew that he had fell asleep.
 
He quickly stopped the horse and let Hyukjae lean on him from the front instead as they continued their journey.
 
During the whole trip, Jin ah had her eyes on the two of them.
 
 
"Bring us back to the palace, but I have my conditions. Hyukjae would never be involved in the world of politics and he must be kept save."
 
"Of course."
 
"But remember, I still don't trust you."
 
 
When the four of the had reached the palace, Donghae had ordered the maids to immediately help prepare two rooms for Hyukjae and Jin ah but had been stopped by Jin ah who insisted on them sharing a room. However, things did not go the way she had wanted as there is a possibility that some people might spread comments that are not very nice. They ended up with rooms beside each other.
 
Also, Donghae had made it really clear to the maids, guards and some other officials that they have to keep the existence of the two a secret.
 
 
Donghae woke Hyukjae up after having everything settled.
 
"Hyukjae, erm... Is it ok if I call you Hyukjae?" Donghae awkwardly asked.
 
"Of course, then I'll call you Donghae too?" Hyukjae replied as he rubbed away the fog in his eyes.
 
"You will be staying here for now, I will bring you to your room then show you around tomorrow. If you have anything you are unsure of, just come and find me ok? If I am not around the area then just tell one of the maids." Donghae told him.
 
Hyukjae only nodded lazily at the question as sleep was still in his system. He did not realise the fact that he now had maids.
 
The rest of the walk was again in awkward silence. Donghae had felt really uncomfortable as he did not know what to say and the stare of Jin ah on his back is not to be easily neglected. As for Hyukjae, he was glad for the silence though, he knew that even if there was someone shouting at him right now, he would not be able to hear it anyway.
 
As they were about to reach the two rooms located not far away for the centre of the palace, where Donghae's quarters were, two figures appeared, blocking their way.
 
Jiyeon had got to know of them from Jaejoong the minute they arrived.
 
"Long time no see, Nana. Oh, and this must be Eunhyuk." Jiyeon said.
 
"Mother. I hope you may excuse us as we have something on." Donghae bowed before speaking in a really polite tone to his mother.
 
"Oh really, I do wonder what do you have to attend to with my son after disappearing for fifteen years." Jiyeon said, voice laced with threat.
 
"Well then, you must have came all the way for a reason, maybe I can have a talk with you first." Jin ah said before walking in the other direction so as to bring Jiyeon away from his son.
 
All this while, Hyukjae was still in his dream land, he occasionally heard some random bits of their conversation, 'Eunhyuk' 'mother' 'fifteen'.
 
After he vaguely saw his mother walking away, Donghae pushed  him slightly to get him to walk again. He noticed that they were now walking slightly faster as compared to before.
 
 
"Go on, this is your room." Donghae told him as he pushed Hyukjae slightly towards the door.
 
Hyukjae could only stare as he walked into his supposed room. The size, the furnitures, they were all just so different from whatever he had in his house. Last time, his room was just enough for his table, his cardboard and his thick blanket which he laid on the floor when he slept. This room had got a little path that had the cardboards, statues, placed on the sides which leads up to a little platform with a large bed.
 
A bed! He had never slept on one before! At most, he had only seen it at the carpenter store down the street.
 
After seeing all this, Hyukjae was now wide awake.
 
"Hyukjae, you should go take a bath now then we can have dinner later, ok?" Donghae asked while pointing towards the right of the room.
 
Hyukjae turns around before noticing that that was the direction of the bathroom, his private bathroom.
 
"You can take your time, I will be waiting at my own quarters." Donghae said before leaving, though Hyukjae did not really manage to take in any of his words.
 
As Hyukjae walked into the bathroom, his eyes widened in shock. There were many other people, or rather females, there standing by the walls. Hyukjae just stood there for a while, hoping that they will leave but they just stayed in their positions.
 
"Erm... I am going to take a bath here..." Hyukjae said in a small voice, somehow hoping that they will pick up the hint and leave.
 
"Are you Hyukjae-ssi?"one of them asked which Hyukjae answered with a nod.
 
Before he could even realise what was happening, Hyukjae was surrounded by them as they started to take off his clothes. It took a few seconds for Hyukjae to realise what was happening before he snapped out of his trance and struggled against them as they tried to take off his already undone robe.
 
"Who are you! What are you doing!" Hyukjae exclaimed as he pressed his robe down closely to himself.
 
"We are your maids and we will be helping you with your bath." One of them said in a way as though what they were doing was normal.
 
"What maids! I don't have any maids! I can bathe on my own!" Hyukjae voice broke as his robe was now removed and he was left with his thin inner wear. A look of confusion was on his face as his vision clouded.
 
Just then, all of them maids stopped whatever they were doing, quickly bowed as they apologised before leaving.
 
As all of them had left, Hyukjae's legs weakened as he fell on his knees. He did not understand just what was happening. All he had done was to help someone who was knocked down and treat his wounds. Then suddenly, his life started changing.
 
He moved into the palace, where everything was so unfamiliar to him. All fifteen years of his life he had never left the town which he grew up at. He had always been living in that cozy, comparably smaller house. He had always had Minah around him, playing with him, talking with him.
 
Compared to his house last time, this place was definitely better, he had beds, his own bathroom and luxurious furnitures. However, Hyukjae could not help but feel afraid of what being in this place would bring him.
 
His life had always been normal, been peaceful, been happy. However, it just suddenly felt like all this will be changing soon. Even though it had not even been a day, he missed his life before all this had happened.
 
He stayed there, tears unknowingly escaped his eyes.
 
 
It has been half an hour yet Hyukjae has yet to appear. Donghae decided that maybe he should head over to Hyukjae's quarters.
 
As he arrived, he saw all the maids at the door and he went forward to ask them where Hyukjae was. He raised an eyebrow at the answer they gave, something about Hyukjae still bathing and that he almost cried.
 
He knocked a little on the door before heading in but found no Hyukjae in the room. He went in further and knocked on the bathroom door slightly, "Hyukjae, are you in there?"
 
"Yes, I'm almost done. Give me a while more." He heard a voice which he recognised as Hyukjae's said.
 
After a while he heard a faint voice calling his name and looked around before figuring that it might be Hyukjae.
 
"Erm... What am I going to be wearing?" Hyukjae asked in a timid voice.
 
"Didn't the maids tell you anything? Wait a moment I'll go get your belongings." Donghae replied as he went over to the small bundle wrapped in another black silk which Hyukjae had brought along with him.
 
"Hyukjae, open you door."
 
The door opened slightly before a hand appeared and blindly the air, trying to find the bag of belongings. Donghae chuckled at Hyukjae's actions before pushing the bundle onto his hands.
 
When Hyukjae finally got out, his head hung low as he softly apologised to Donghae to which the latter had no idea what for.
 
The two soon started dinner at Hyukjae's room which was filled with awkwardness as both had no idea what to say and were just staring at their own plates. At times, the two would happen to pick up the same piece of vegetable or meat at the same time which they would just quickly retract their chopsticks and go for another dish.
 
When the two had almost finished their meal, Hyukjae softly told Donghae that he always had really long baths since young, that was why he took so long just now.
 
After that, awkwardness started to set in again but Donghae did not want to let the conversation stop and asked Hyukjae, "Are you used to this place? Is there any questions you want to ask? I know you must be feeling confused so if you have anything you want to ask me just ask. You can just talk to me comfortably."
 
"Wooh, slowly. One question at a time. Ok so, I'm not used to this place yet, it's only my first day here but I miss my old house already. I... Why am I here? I'm so confused over the fact that one day I just woke up and I'm in a palace, having big beds to sleep on, nice and warm rooms and maids that wanted to help me... Bathe..." Hyukjae trailed off at the last part.
 
"I'm sorry but all I can say now is that this is for your own good. I know it is a big change but after all this is over, you can go back if you want to. Just make yourself comfortable here and... If you don't want to maids to help, you tell them." Donghae said before he closed in and whispered, "To be honest, I don't like them helping too."
 
Hyukjae let a small smile appear on his face before his eyes turned bright and he asked Donghae, "What are we doing tomorrow? Can I ask Minah over?"
 
Donghae scrunched his nose a little before nodding to Hyukjae as an answer. His mind drifted off to just who is this Minah to Hyukjae.
 

 

A/N: I wrote this quite fast this time and I was sick today so I stayed at home and tadaaa! Thank you for supporting this fic and I hope you enjoyed this chapter!
I was actually thinking of putting confusion as the name of this chapter but I couldn't think of a suitable sentence so I used change instead.