Chapter 17: Confused

Rainy Day Romance

Kai's POV

That morning I woke up face to face with Charlotte, I guess we had turned in our sleep.

I felt like I was dreaming because waking up next to her was definitely something I had only dreamt about, and now it was reality. 

I hear the door open and pretend to be sleep, I didn't feel like hearing Woonha this morning.

However my acting must have not been that believable because he punched me in the arm. I open my eyes and he signals for me to follow him in the living room. 

"Are you hard-headed or something? What did I just say yesterday?" 

"She asked to sleep in there, I didn't invite her or anything" 

"Okay, so why didn't you sleep on the couch, or come sleep in my bed?" 

"Because I have a right to sleep in my own bed, we didn't do anything so I don't see why we're discussing this" 

"Okay you're right, I'm done lecturing you about Charlotte, you do whatever you please, and I'll be here to pick up the pieces when this all comes shattering down" he takes his coffee and heads back to his room. 

Seconds later Charlotte walks out of mine, she makes her way towards me in the kitchen as she rubs the sleep out of her eyes. 

"Had a goodnight sleep?"

"Yeah, I finally calmed down about Jinsang and got some sleep" she answers as she sits on the stool across from me. 

"You want some coffee, Woonha made some"

"I don't drink coffee, but I'll take some orange juice if you got any, and some breakfast while you're offering" she grins at me. 

"I can get you some orange juice, but the only breakfast I can make is cereal" I inform her

"Cereal sounds good to me" 

"Alright what kind do you want?" I hold up the two boxes we had.

"That cinnamon toast crunch seems promising" 

I had her the box and the milk, then grab us some bowls and spoons. 

I watched as she played with her cereal a bit before she took bites of it, she must have been thinking about Jinsang. 

"I'm sure Jinsang is okay" I tell her. 

She looks up and smiles at me. 

"I'm going to drive myself crazy thinking about it, I need to get my mind off of it until the chief lets me see him" she says.

"You want to go somewhere, I don't have plans for today" at least I didn't think I did

"Sure, where should we go?"

"We'll figure it out once we finish eating" I say as I take a bite. 

Once I'm done eating, I shower and put some clothes on, then I drive Charlotte home so she could do the same. 

"I figured out what we can do today" she says as she comes down in a windbreaker, tights, and running shoes, "let's go for a nice walk, breathe in some fresh air" 

"Sounds very soul cleansing"

"Exactly, and I mean who doesn't love cleansing their soul?" she says and laughs a little, that was the first time I'd seen her laugh this morning. 

"Well I must be able to tell the future" I look down to see I had on a windbreaker, jeans and running shoes as well

"Not exactly, your outfit is what gave me the idea, I just went and copied you" she tells me. 

"So you saw my outfit and decided to take a walk? What are you trying to say I'm dressed like I can't afford a car?" I joke and she laughs even more. 

"Hey you said it not me, you know what they say about if the shoe fits" she adds. 

We walk out the door and down the sidewalk, we weren't really going anywhere, we were just walking. 

As we were walking I would look over at Charlotte, she looks up at me and smiles then looks straight ahead, it happened quite often.

On the walk we stumble upon a nice garden at this park I'd never seen before, there was also a water fountain. 

"Wow, look how pretty" Charlotte comments as she walks around to look at all the flowers. 

"There's a fountain, we should make a wish"

"Okay, are you going to provide us with the coins because I'm not throwing any of my money in" she says and I can't help but let out a laugh. 

"Here cheapskate" I hand her a nickel, "I heard there was a legend about this fountain" 

"Oh yeah what is it?"

"That the wishes of people who are too cheap to throw in money don't come true" 

She laughs, "You're making that up"

"No, I heard it somewhere" 

"Where did you hear it?"

"From this very handsome young man" 

She laughs some more and we get ready to throw our coins in. 

"Alright I made my wish, hurry up slowpoke" she throws her coin in. 

"I'm trying to think of the perfect wish" 

"You're really putting that much thought into it?"

"Okay I got it, you want to hear it?" I say as I toss the coin in

"No, then it won't come true" 

"Fine, but it was a really nice wish, you sure you don't want to hear it?" 

"Alright, don't beg me, I'll hear your little wish" 

"I wished for you Jinsang to quickly recover so you don't have to worry anymore"

"You really wished for that?" 

"Of course, I don't like seeing you sad" 

She looks up at me for a minute, "You're a really good person Kai, I've never met anyone like you" she tells me. 

"Oh stop you're going to make me blush" a small smile forms on my face as we're about to leave the garden. 

"Wait, before we go let's take a picture" she looks around for someone to take our picture. She stops this couple on their way out and asks them to do it. 

"How should we pose?" she asks me, then starts getting into these different poses. 

As great as all Charlotte's suggestions were, we just hold up a V and smile.

"That's not very romantic, put your arm around her" the man instructs.

I do what he says because he stared at me until I did it.

"Give your boyfriend a kiss on the cheek, that'll look cute" the woman says.

"Oh we're not boyfriend and girlfriend" I assure the the couple.

"Oh, don't be shy, I'm not going to take the picture unless you do it" he was a very stingy man.

"Should we just find someone else to take it?" I whisper to Charlotte, I look around but it was still pretty early in the morning people weren't just strolling around.

"No it's fine, we'll just do what he says"

I look towards the camera and seconds later I feel Charlotte kiss me on the cheek, and my entire face is hotter than the Sahara desert.

"So cute, you guys are a cute couple" the man says as he hands Charlotte back her phone.

"Mister, we told you we're not a couple" she corrects him.

"Oh I get it you're shy, have a nice day" he says and the two of them leave. 

"That old man was stubborn wasn't he?" I tell Charlotte. 

"Yes he was, but hey we got our picture and he was right it is cute. Take that kiss on the cheek as a thank you" she sends the picture to my phone. 

"I will" at least I would try to. 

We eventually walk near a place to rest and get something to eat. 

Charlotte excuses herself to the bathroom as we wait for our food to arrive. 

Charlotte's POV

While I was washing my hands after I used the restroom, I look into the mirror and see my cheeks had turned red from the morning air. 

My red cheeks remind me of when Kai's whole face turned red when I kissed him on the cheek, I giggle to myself. 

"He still has feelings for me" I sigh and say into my reflection. 

I fix my hair and straighten my windbreaker, then I pause and feel my lips. 

I would be lying if I said my heart didn't speed up a little when I kissed him on the cheek. 

"You're married Charlotte, you need to get a hold of yourself" I give my reflection some attitude and head back out. 

When I get to our table, I see Kai was gone, I look around the restaurant for him. 

I see him come back in the entrance and he sits down. 

"Where did you go?"

"I got you a surprise, close your eyes" 

I close my eyes, and then I hear him say open them. I open them to see a little turtle stuffed animal sitting on the table. 

"He's so cute" I say as I pick him up. 

"I remembered when we went to the aquarium how you loved the turtles so much" 

"You remembered that?"

"Yeah, why is that creepy or something?"

I smile, "No, thank you Kai" 

"No problem, it was the last one, this guy was selling little stuffed animals across the street" he points to him.

Shortly after our food arrives and we eat. 

As we're eating I find myself constantly looking up at Kai. 

When he does things like buy me small turtles because he remembered how much I like them at the aquarium or makes a wish for Jinsang to get better so I won't be sad anymore, I was confused about what feelings I had towards him

I felt like if I wasn't marrying Jinsang that day Kai told me he loved me, I would have told him I loved him back.