Chapter zero

Ever Lasting Teacher

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am sending you this letter because I want to apply for the job of teaching your employees English. My name is Terry Lewis and I am 21 years old. I am from the Netherlands and am currently studying at Kyung Hee University in Seoul as an international exchange student. I will go back to my home university by the end of this semester and am looking for a temporary job to earn some money on the side and to have some more interaction with locals. I currently live in one of KHU's international houses near the campus in Hoegi area.

The reason I am applying to become an English teacher at your company is because I have been following your artists for years now and have come to admire them very much. You can consider me an ELF, a proud fan of Super Junior. It has always been my dream to contribute to the group's improvement in English, since I am an international fan myself that doesn't speak any Korean but still wants to communicate with her idols in a proper way.

Please, don't throw away my e-mail just yet. I'm not just a fan that is trying to talk herself into a meet and greet with her idol. I'm also not terminally ill and asking you to fulfill my dying wish. I'm not even one of those fans who never had the opportunity to see her idols live. I've been to both Super Shows in Europe and both times I was standing front row. I consider myself one of those lucky ELFs, who got to be very close to her idol once or twice. I simply noticed that even though Super Junior is famous all around the world, there are only  few members that speak decent English. I think it is very considerate of them to always learn a few sentences of the language of the country they perform in, but being fluent in English would be so much more convenient than all those minor sentences. There are so many fans that are trying to teach themselves Korean to be able to understand their idols. I think it's time for Super Junior or any of the other groups in your company to return the favour.

I am not a professional English teacher. English is not even my mother language. But this is exactly why I think I would be the perfect choice to teach your employees this language. You see, I once had to start at the beginning as well. There was a time and day where I couldn't even speak one word of English at all. But through various ways of education I learned not only to speak English fluently, but to also feel more comfortable speaking in English than in my own mother tongue. I want to share my secret with the members of Super Junior and teach them how to learn English without boring them with textbooks or exams. Maybe you are doubting my expertise, but please, take a look at this e-mail and judge yourself if my English is fluent enough to be taught to others.

I could make this e-mail very long, explaining my method of teaching to you, but I think it would be better to do this in person. Please consider my offer. I am sure that I could be a great asset to your team that is trying so hard to make your idol groups very successful in the western music market.

While reviewing this e-mail, please take into consideration that I will only be in Korea for one semester. You will never have to worry about being stuck with me for a long time if this turns out to be a failure. On the other hand, if this turns out to be an amazing success, I am always willing to think of possibilities to extend my stay.

With kind regards,

Terry Lewis
(+82) (0)10 3145 8710
[email protected]

 

[Author's note: All cell phone numbers and e-mail addresses in this story are purely random! Please don't try to call these numbers or contact the e-mails because you might end up talking to a complete stranger with no connection to this story at all!]