23

Sea Souls: Water God
Please log in to read the full chapter

             Kai and Taura laid side by side on his bed, staring up at the dark ceiling in silence. She came to see him and make sure he was okay after finding out from Mijin how the meeting had gone. He didn’t say much to her, only conveying the good news that the king decided to sign the peace treaty. From the lack of detail, Taura knew that the bad news outweighed the good.

            “How are we supposed to do this?” Kai whispered, slightly turning his head to face Taura who did the same.

            “I don’t know.”  Taura propped her head on her hand, looking down at Kai. He didn’t look like a prince. He looked like a little boy afraid of the world outside his bedroom.

            “I used to think my dad had the greatest job in the world. He could travel, the people loved him, he got fancy clothes, boats…” his voice trailed off, and the smile on his face faded with it. “I didn’t know how hard it actually was to please everyone.”

            He shut his eyes, wanting to forget the stress that plagued his mind. Taura brushed his hair from his forehead gently, “You can’t please everyone, though.”

            She laid her head beside him and came closer so she could hug his waist. In return, Kai hugged her around her shoulders and pulled her so she faced his warm chest. “As long as I can please you.”

            Taura’s eyes widened as her body stiffened. Kai could feel the change in her posture and chuckled as he pulled away, “I’m kidding, princess,” he stared at Taura’s face making sure she got the joke and as her expression softened he pinched her nose, “I love you though, just not like that.”

            “I love you too.” Taura mumbled against his chest as she hugged him close to her, afraid to let go.

            *~*~*~*

            Heading back to her room, Taura left Kai quietly after putting him to bed. As she shut the door, she heard another one down the hall open. Pressing herself to the door, she turned to see it was Seungyeon coming from Sehun’s bedroom with a tray of untouched food. Something stirred inside of the mermaid, something that made Taura feel uncomfortable and almost hostile. Straightening out her shoulders, Taura walked down the hall with her chin up trying to ignore the other girl’s presence.

            “Oh, your highness! You’re up late.” Seungyeon remarked as she stopped leaving Taura to stop as well. Taura was a bit taller than than Seungyeon which pleased the mermaid more than it probably should have.

            “I had to check on Kai is all. And you? You’re up late as well.”

            “I just wanted to give Sehun his dinner since he didn’t come to eat but I saw he was fast asleep and didn’t want to wake him.”

            Taura bit her lip with a nod, “I see.”

            “Well, I should be getting to bed. You too, Taura.” Seungyeon curtsied while Taura bowed, “Good night.”

            The two girls parted without another word.

            Slipping in under the sheets, Taura did not feel tired at all. The warmth in the room irritated her and the sheets did nothing but add to the suffocating heat. Throwing them off her body, she looked towards the door way contemplating.

            He’s asleep. It’d be rude to wake him up.

            *~*~*~*~*

            Taura raised a hesitant fist to the door, as she shook nervously under the thin blanket wrapped around her shoulders. She looked to her left. Then to the right, making sure no one was around. Taking a step closer to the closed door, Taura gently let her frail knuckles hit the hard wood as she whispered the boy’s name. It was quiet. Taking in a breath, Taura knocked again this time with her ear pressed to the door.

            She could hear the person in the room shuffle t

Please log in to read the full chapter