I Love You (1/2)

I Love You

“Hyukjae,” whined Donghae.

 

“What?”

 

“Hyukjae,” Donghae persisted.

 

Hyukjae sighed and put down his pencil. “What is it, Donghae?”

 

His best friend looked up at him from his position sprawled out on the table. “I’m bored,” pouted Donghae. He looked at Hyukjae with hopeful brown eyes. “Can we-”

 

“No.”

 

“But you didn’t even hear the question yet,” protested Donghae, kicking Hyukjae under the table.

 

“I don’t need to,” said Hyukjae smugly, kicking Donghae back. “The answer is no. No, I can’t leave yet. No, I’m not done. No, I don’t want ice cream even if it is strawberry. No, I’m not really tired. No, I did not take your favorite boxers when I slept over yesterday.” Hyukjae paused and glance down at his uniform pants. “Actually, that last one might be a yes.”

 

“I knew it!” exclaimed Donghae, pointing at Hyukjae dramatically. “But it’s okay since I’m wearing your boxers too! You know the one with the fish design.”

 

“Okay, stop bothering me,” said Hyukjae, throwing a notebook at Donghae. “The student body president needs to finish his paperwork now.”

 

“I don’t know why you need to be the president,” commented Donghae, plucking the offending notebook off his head. “Isn’t being rank one in academics good enough for you? This is taking up all your after school time!”

 

“What about you?” Hyukjae shot back. “Mr. Star Athlete of Every Month and Sport. Don’t tell me all those sports you’re in don’t take up just as much, if not more, time than my student council duties. Hey, don’t you have hapkido practice today?”

 

Donghae shook his head as he fished around Hyukjae’s book bag for a pencil. Emerging victorious, he smiled winningly at him. “Our captain decided to cancel practice today. Aren’t you glad? I get to come here and spend quality time with you.”

 

Hyukjae groaned. “No, you’re bothering me and distracting me from my work. Just shut up and be a good boy for one hour, okay?”

 

Ignoring the wounded puppy eyes he got, Hyukjae turned back to his stack of paperwork.

 

Later, after he walked Donghae home and entered the adjacent house himself, Hyukjae would wonder why the other boy had actually listened to him for once and kept quiet until all his work was finished.

 

After deciding to study for his English class and taking out the corresponding notebook, he discovered why.

 

On every single page, Donghae had written ‘I love you’ with a generous splashing of hearts and an occasional cheeseburger.

 

Hyukjae shook his head at his friend’s silliness. Now he would need a new notebook.

 

-

 

Hyukjae raced through the hallways of the school, mentally cursing Jungsu. Hyukjae still didn’t know how the former student body president had persuaded him to be his successor, because even though he hated to admit it, Donghae was right; this extracurricular was taking up a lot of his time.

 

He skidded into the gym, out of breath. He jogged up the bleachers and managed to find a place with a good view. Taking a seat, he dropped his bag at his feet and scanned the gym for a familiar brunette.

 

Donghae was currently in a match with another boy from the other team. Even from a distance, Hyukjae could tell that the normally happy expression had settled into a neutral mask. Hyukjae shivered slightly; he always got a strange feeling when he saw this side of Donghae.

 

Donghae’s intense eyes, concentrated on his opponent’s, saw the first punch coming and smoothly blocked it, his other hand returning the favor.

 

The two circled around each other warily- tense, but light on the balls of their feet. Hyukjae admired the grace and power in the martial artists’ form. He thought briefly that martial artists should, perhaps, take up ballroom dancing.

 

Quicker than Hyukjae when presented with food, Donghae surged forward, snapping out a low roundhouse kick to the knee, succeeded by a higher one to the stomach. His opponent stumbled back a few steps. Donghae rapidly followed up with a succession of jabs.

 

“Fighting Donghae!” Hyukjae screamed jumping to his feet, his body reacting before his mind.

 

Donghae, sensing his advantage, finished with a beautifully executed back kick that sent his opponent sprawling on his back.

 

“And the match goes to Lee Donghae!”

 

Donghae grinned, pulling off his indifferent mask along with his protective helmet. He reached out a hand to pull his opponent up and they both bowed deeply to each other.

 

Hyukjae sat back down, a feeling of pride welling up in his chest. Donghae never failed to amaze him with his skills.

 

“Hyukjae!”

 

Hyukjae turned and saw the aforementioned guy running, still barefoot, up the bleachers. Donghae just about jumped on him, hugging him enthusiastically.

 

“You came!” Donghae beamed, unicorns and rainbows practically coming out of his ears.

 

“I said I would,” replied Hyukjae, shoving Donghae off his lap. “You’re covered with sweat and you stink,” he informed him.

 

Donghae’s smile did not waver and he shifted to sit next to Hyukjae. “It’s something that happens when you exercise,” he said, equally informative. “And your feet smell worse than anything, so you shouldn’t criticize.”

 

Hyukjae snorted, longing to give a comeback, but he couldn’t deny the unfortunate truth. “You looked great out there,” he says instead.

 

“I know. I heard you screaming.” Donghae looked down at the gym, thankfully missing Hyukjae’s burning face. “If you think I looked great, look at our captain.”

 

Hyukjae’s gaze followed Donghae’s finger until it reached a boy with black hair covering one eye. The match could not exactly be called a match as said captain neatly flipped his opponent onto the mat within the first ten seconds.

 

“He’s good,” said Hyukjae appreciatively. Then noticing the slight baby face and smooth skin, he added, “And he’s really cute.”

 

Donghae elbowed Hyukjae’s ribs and shot a glare at him. “Don’t bother. He’s dating that genius in your math class.” The words were laced with something Hyukjae didn’t quite understand.

 

“That snarky gaming nerd? Your captain must be a saint to be able to put up with that.”

 

“Donghae!” Donghae and Hyukjae looked down as the subject of their conversation yelled. The captain gestured towards the mat. “Strategy meeting!”

 

“Coming!” Donghae smiled at Hyukjae. “Got to go. Wait for me?”

 

“Don’t I always?” muttered Hyukjae.

 

Donghae jogged down the bleacher steps. At the bottom, he abruptly turned around, cupping his hands around his mouth.

 

“I love you!” he shouted.

 

Hyukjae rolled his eyes and waved his friend’s words off. He watched Donghae make a heart with his fingers before running off to join his team. If he had one won for every time Donghae jokingly said those three words to him, Hyukjae would be able to buy the entire Korean Peninsula and then some.

 

-

 

“Hyukjae!” shouted Donghae, waving frantically. “Hurry up! You’re wasting time!”

 

Hyukjae reluctantly picked up his pace until he finally reached his overexcited friend. “Donghae,” huffed Hyukjae, trying to regain his breath. “Slow down. We have all day.”

 

“You don’t understand!” cried Donghae, tugging insistently at Hyukjae’s arm. “It’s Moose World!”

 

Hyukjae stared up at the giant moose head that greeted them at the entrance. “Honestly Donghae, I don’t see why you like…” What was the moose’s name? Melvin? Super Moose? “…that thing so much.”

 

Donghae made a face at Hyukjae. “I don’t see why I had to be nice and ask you to come with me. I could have used that extra ticket to…Hyukjae!” Donghae suddenly squealed. He pointed to a person in a Super Moose costume. Donghae ran over to the moose who waved cheerily. “Let’s take a picture!”

 

Hyukjae sighed and half-heartedly joined Donghae. He did his best to smile when the camera flashed.

 

“Gee, don’t you look like a ball of rainbows,” teased Donghae, looking at the photo.

 

Hyukjae groaned. “Sorry. You can throw that away if you want.”

 

The other boy looked Hyukjae, almost comically shocked. “Why would I do that? I treasure all the photos I have of us.” Hyukjae felt warmed by this statement. “Even the one back in grade school where you were dressed up as Snow White and kissing me…”

 

The warmth was replaced by a less pleasant one. “Donghae!” cried a red-faced Hyukjae, smacking his friend’s arm. “We promised not to mention that ever again!”

 

Donghae shrugged, smirking. “I can’t help it. It was our first kiss. An especially special memory.”

 

Hyukjae buried his face in his hands.

 

“Let’s ride that roller coaster!” announced Donghae abruptly. As happy as Hyukjae was with the subject change, those drops look awfully high…

 

Donghae noticed his pale complexion. “Are you still scared of roller coasters?” Donghae tapped his chin thoughtfully, and then grinned. He extended his arm. “Don’t worry; I’ll hold your hand!”

 

“Why would I want to do that?” protested Hyukjae, completely contradicting his words as he reached out and grabbed the proffered hand.

 

Donghae smiled sweetly and gave his hand a reassuring squeeze. “I love you. My love will protect you from all evil things in the world, including roller coasters, seafood, and people stealing your food. Except me of course,” he added as an afterthought.

 

Hyukjae rolled his eyes. Shisus, the things he did for Donghae. He followed as Donghae tugged him towards the roller coaster. And he would never admit it out loud, but the feel of Donghae’s hand in his did actually ease his fear.

 

Until the roller coaster started.

 

-

 

Hyukjae stared guiltily at Donghae. “Does it still hurt?” he asked softly.

 

Donghae laughed and hit Hyukjae playfully. “Don’t be such a worrywart. It didn’t hurt that last nine times you asked and it doesn’t hurt now. Besides, it’s been hours. Although I really didn’t expect you to try to mangle my hand like that. And your screams…”

 

“The drops were really high,” Hyukjae argued weakly, attempting to salvage his pride. “Look! A Ferris wheel!” said Hyukjae in hopes of distracting Donghae. Donghae, bless his soul, wasn’t the sharpest cheese in the fridge so he should fall for it.

 

“Are you trying to distract me?” asked Donghae suspiciously.

 

Hyukjae blinked. Huh? “N-no,” Hyukjae denied. “I just really want to ride it.”

 

Donghae’s face split into a huge grin. “Let’s go then! One last ride before the park closes.” He offered his hand to Hyukjae, mirroring the gesture many hours before.

 

“Are you sure?” joked Hyukjae. “I might permanently damage it this time.”

 

Donghae smiled and presented his other hand. “I have two hands.”

 

They somehow got the entire wheel to themselves and were in no time, moving closer to the night sky. Not bothering with the seats, the two eagerly stood, peering out the glass wall opposite of the door.

 

“It’s such a beautiful view,” whispered Donghae. “You can see the entire park from here and we’re not even at the top yet!”

 

Hyukjae agreed; it was indeed stunning. And with the glow from the moon and Ferris wheel lighting up his familiar features, Hyukjae had to admit that Donghae looked kind of beautiful too.

 

Hyukjae felt Donghae slip an arm around his waist, holding him so gently that they barely touched. This was followed by the familiar pressure of Donghae’s head on his shoulder.

 

“Look, Hyukjae, a shooting star,” murmured Donghae, breath ghosting over Hyukjae’s ear. “Make a wish…”

 

Hyukjae wondered what more he could want. He possessed brains and, if he did say so himself, good looks. He was blessed with a family that loved him. He had a close-knit group of friends that was like his second family. He had a best friend that, no doubt, would be there for him for the rest of his life. Hyukjae closed his eyes and made a wish.

 

“What did you wish for?” asked Donghae curiously.

 

Hyukjae briefly toyed with the idea of keeping mum, but decided not to ruin the peace with Donghae’s badgering. “I wished for a bottle of strawberry milk,” he replied honestly.

 

Donghae pulled back from their intimate position to stare incredulously at Hyukjae. “Out of all the important things to wish for, you wished for strawberry milk?” he inquired, voice laced with disbelief.

 

Hyukjae crossed his arms. “Fine. If strawberry milk isn’t important, than what did you wish for?” he challenged. Donghae opened his mouth, a look of indecision washing over his features before closing it again.

 

“I knew it,” crowed Hyukjae. “You probably wished for the teacher to be absent next week so you can sleep during class.” Then, Hyukjae noticed Donghae’s unusual silence. “Donghae?”

 

Donghae looked at Hyukjae, and Hyukjae felt slightly nervous. His friend was hardly ever so serious.

 

“Hyukjae,” said Donghae quietly, hesitation gone. “I wished that you would love me like I love you.”

 

Hyukjae’s eyebrows furrowed with confusion. “You know I love you.”

 

Donghae shook his head. “No, you don’t.” He stepped towards Hyukjae until Hyukjae was looking slightly downward into Donghae’s eyes. “Hyukjae, I love you.”

 

The Ferris wheel reached the peak of its journey, showing a breath-taking view.

 

Hyukjae stared at the person he thought of as his best friend and nothing more. It had been said that Donghae had beautiful eyes that reflected exactly what he was feeling, and right now, Hyukjae could see love, a love that has been there for a long time. Hyukjae wondered why he, the observant one, didn’t see this earlier in Donghae, the transparent one. “You’re not joking,” said Hyukjae softly.

 

Hyukjae immediately regretted his words as a hurt look took over Donghae’s face. “You thought I was joking all this time?” asked Donghae.

 

“Yes,” admitted Hyukjae.

 

“I love you,” Donghae repeated, eyes searching Hyukjae for something he wouldn’t find. “Hyukjae, do you maybe, possibly-”

 

“I don’t.”

 

The Ferris wheel car completed its voyage, landing back at ground level with a slight thud.