Is 60 seconds all you really need?

Five Short Stories

"Please just listen to me! I promise, just talk to me right now, if you do I won't EVER bother you again," Sunggyu pestered for the tenth time in one sitting, his eyes bulged out at you, surprisingly. Usually, his eyes were... well, honestly non-existent. "Please! I know I'm annoying, but I promise I won't talk to you if you just give me a chance."

"Why should I give you a chance? You broke my heart in primary school! I vowed to never talk to you, ever again..." you trailed off, a bit over-dramatically and faced the windows as if you were the lead of a high-rated drama.

"...W-what? We didn't even meet in primary school... we didn't GO to the same school until now..?" Sunggyu's eyes became slight lines, even tinier  than usual, as his confusion set in and he shook his head, disregarding your statement.

"Oh, that wasn't you?" you laughed it off, but he looked at you in all seriousness and then pouted his lips. "Seriously? You're going to pull this on me? Sunggyu, we're talking right now. Isn't that enough for you?"

"NO! This isn't a decent conversation! Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! Please! Just hold a decent conversation with me and I'll leave you alone!" he begged and began to kneel down in front of you, nearly kissing your toes. You shuffled your feet before he could accomplish such an odd task. "Okay, that was a little weird of me, but come on!"

"Sunggyu, I can't. I have to go anyway--"

"60 seconds! Please... it's all I need!" he shouted as you began to briskly leave the classroom. "Please..." he pleaded. The discontent in his voice carried all throughout the room and pulled on your heart, just a little.

"60 seconds, is that all you really need? Can you even accomplish a task in 60 seconds?" you inquired bluntly and he nodded his head in excitement.

"Yes, I promise it won't take much longer!" he smiled, and you nodded my head.

"Fine, but 60 seconds, promise?"

"Promise" his smile widened and his eyes became smaller. He ran to the back of the room to grab his guitar, and you took your phone out to set up a timer. "Aw, do you really have to time me?"

"You said 60 seconds, and you promised... so yes, I do" you responded, chuckling as he smiled in agreement. He began to strum the brass strings of his guitar and goosebumps arose from your skin. You were confused, you thought he wanted to converse... but he was playing a guitar and--

"I kept walking when I stopped and looked around – then I met eyes with you
I quickly turned my head and stared at my feet – then I slowly looked up."

Your heart stopped as his voice continued to travel to your ears, engraving itself into the nooks and crannies of your memories.

"60 seconds is enough for this story
You have entered my heart
I don’t doubt that you have taken me in this not-so-short time
That’s the kind of person you are, a story that’s enough for me
I don’t need a reason
You made my heart flutter and you made me find you – that first time."

He continued singing and the surrealness of it all suddenly snapped back into reality as the strumming of the guitar came to an end and he hit his very last note.

"So... what do you think?" his smile brightened at the sight of your smile... your smile..?

All along, you had been unknowingly smiling.

You were angry for a second because Sunggyu had found a way to creep into your heart without you even realizing. He was the one guy you were trying to avoid for the longest time, but he finally crept in.

But you were still smiling all the while, even after his guitar had stopped strumming, even after his singing came to an end, even after the anger you felt just earlier.

"Hello?" he waved his hand in front of your face, laughing at your astonishment. "You're still alive, that's great" as you blinked and backed away from him. He rubbed the back of his head, readjusting his scarf and setting his guitar aside. He stood up from his seat and towered over your petite frame. "Are you alright..?" You were still in shock, but you managed to get something out of you.

 

 

"That took more than 60 seconds."