I Wonder If This Could Be Love

I Wonder If This Could Be Love

JESSICA’S POV

 

There's something that has been inside of my mind ever since the middle of this year's first semester. Something I've never felt before.

I must admit, it is an intriguing feeling. Odd. Overwhelming. New. Barely explored.

And what is causing me to have these sensations, you ask?

Well...

 

 

It's... her.

 

 

 

I never saw it coming, you know? I just… I can't get her outta my mind ever since. She's cute. She has a charming smile. She's enchanting. She's, like, everything I could ask for.

 

But if there’s one thing that I am certain of is:

 

Hyoyeon is going to be the end of me.

 

 

Ok, I must be exaggerating, but I can't help it. She really is something.

 

 

-//-

 

I mostly remember every interaction we’ve ever had. The times when she’d come over to my place and we’d do some college assignments during the afternoon. We’d talk about random stuff, and she’d let out a few comments that made me crack up, either it was a really bad joke or just something that had a double meaning. Speaking of double meaning, that happened a lot. I guess it was on purpose, even though sometimes I don’t think it was. Sometimes, the words that came out of just sounded so… not-straight. Some were about random situations of life, but others were meant directly to me.

“You’re an angel, Jessica.”, she’d say when I’d make her a favor or something. “I would slip away with you to another town if I could”. Not to mention the “Days ago I listened to a romantic song that I found really beautiful. It was that new Bruno Mars ballad song.”   Oh. I wish that she would finish that sentence with “That song reminded me of you”, but of course that would happen only in another life. That made me wonder though: would a straight girl say that to her friend, out of nowhere, just like that?  

And I bet she doesn’t have a clue, but that way of speaking seriously does weird things to my heart. I do hope one day she notices it. That would be a beginning.

 

I also remember that time when Hyoyeon and I were playing guitar and Sooyoung was there too. She knew about this little ‘crush’ I had on Hyoyeon, so later, I found out Soo had sneakily taken a picture of me and Hyoyeon playing the instruments, and her face on the picture was so cute. It looked like she was staring at me, innocently, yet interested, while I seemed oblivious to it. I immediately, and obviously, asked her to send me that picture.

 

In another random note here, at some point of this year, Sooyoung noticed that some parts of my dark hair were lighter than its black feature. She said I was turning into a redhead! Well, it was true; I do have reddish strands of hair within my raven-colored hair. But the fun part is that my crush also noticed it, and started believing that I often dyed my hair red! She started constantly making comments about it, and they mostly made me blush. There were times when she touched my face, analyzing my hair, the parts that had lighter tones. Impressive. One single touch and I’m shivering inside. Sooyoung and I would exchange a look for a brief moment and she would laugh out of nowhere, but I knew the reason: she was finding the scene cute just like I was.

 

 

So, lately, I’ve been finding myself thinking about her a lot. Even more than I would ever expect. Before I go to sleep. When I wake up, that is normally before I meet her and my friends at college. I don’t know if that’s even healthy anymore, but I don’t care anyway.

 

I came to notice that her favorite colors are the warm ones. She’s always wearing red, but mostly orange – she actually said that’s her fave. In another hand, mine is blue. I just really like it. I’ve heard once that blue and orange are complementary colors – or something like that, says the theory of colors. That’s nice, isn’t it? Maybe a sign? Again, I wish.

 

 

-//-

 

It’s summer. I hate it in this town, the weather was beyond hot – almost unbearable to handle. As usual, I woke up at 6 A.M. to prepare myself for the upcoming classes. I left home and went walking to my destination – it wasn’t far from my house. I had my earphones on, and guess what song came up when I put my songs on shuffle? That Bruno Mars song. Yes, that one. It became, somewhat, ‘special’ for me, just because she commented about it to me. I know it sounds silly, but what can I do? And the lyrics were quite emotional too. I’d make sure to learn how to play it on my guitar later.

 

It’d be just another boring Thursday morning, if it wasn’t for her presence. It was like a motivation. It felt good to me.

 

We had a boring class. Calculus. Meh. Good thing I was good at math. To distract myself, I would eventually sneak-peek at her direction. What I would find was her pretty face turned to the teacher’s direction, listening to his explanation about something that didn’t matter at that time. So attentive. Then she’d look down to write some notes. Her light brown hair came into full view. Smooth, elegant and attractive. If there was a competition of “Best Female Hair of the Course”, I would bet she would win it. Ok, I’m daydreaming again. I turned my head to the other side, and saw Sooyoung observing me. She was laughing at me. , she saw it! “Yes, I saw it, bee.”, her expression was telling me. I didn’t really mind though, so I laughed along.

 

-//-

 

 

After class, me and my friends (including Hyoyeon) would usually go to the nearest bakery, one block away from the university, so we could eat something. We always stopped there to chat for undetermined time. This time, however, my friends had to go home early, so they left me alone with her.

Luck?

Fate?

Coincidence?

Whatever it was, I secretly liked it. We walked side by side, talking about college stuff, when we stopped by the bakery and we realized it was closed already for it was lunch time.

“Oh no, I wanted to buy that cake so bad today!”, she said, disappointed.

“It’s a shame! I wanted it too.”, I said, sharing the disappointment.

“Hey, I have an idea! My place is kinda far, but yours is like 2 blocks from here. I’ll have lunch at your place today!” She spoke, playful as she grabbed my arm softly to drag me with her, in the direction of my house. I widened my eyes at the sudden action, words missing from my mouth as a lot of thoughts and feelings ran over me.

“Wait, what?” I finally managed to speak, surprised. She was about to let go of my arm, but I held it in place with my hand. We were standing on the sidewalk. The street looked ghostly empty with no one in sight.

“C’mon, you said yourself it was no problem earlier today.” Did I really…? I don’t even remember… “Let’s gooo.”, she continued dragging me, happily jumping.

“Wait. There’s something I need to tell you.” I stopped us again, but this time I turned her around completely to look at me.

No, I wasn’t just looking at her. I was staring into her eyes.

Is it now? The moment where I die? I don’t exactly know how. Am I gonna go to heaven? Isn’t this heaven already?

And why did I even say that last sentence? I don’t really have anything planned for now. Do I?

“What is it, Sica?”, she had a worried look and sounded serious.

I took her hand. I was putting everything at risk. She didn’t move.

“I-I just wonder… if…”, at that moment, either something weird happened to time-space as I know it (did the Earth change its moving speed?) or we both were dangerously closer to each other’s faces. I felt myself overexposed as her gaze felt like exploring my whole emotional interior.

“… this could be love?” She finished my sentence. I repeat: she – finished – my – sentence.

No time was wasted. At the very next second, we found ourselves with no gap between our bodies, as we embraced each other while sharing our first lips contact ever.

 

I felt her smiling against my skin and I swore I’ve never been happier.

 

 

----------------------------

 

Sorry if there are any mistakes, I just wrote it really quickly. :)