002: The Operation

On The Streets

"Yoonjo, wait up!" Yooyoung held onto her knees as she saw Yoonjo walking in front of her on the school corridor.

Yoonjo turned around to face her best friend and chuckled softly, tilting her head to the side.

"I'm going to check my locker, Yooyoung. Have you checked yours?"

"My locker's absolutely safe. It has its own security made by the one and only amazing me." Yooyoung cracked into a wide grin with her own compliments to herself.

"Such as what? A CCTV? A bodyguard? A personal assistant? A security alarm?" Yoonjo scratched her head and blinked her eyes, feeling confused than ever.

"Nah, I have my own ways!" Yooyoung's grin got more wider at the thought and pushed Yoonjo gently to her locker.

"Come on, we'll be late for our Home Economics class!"

"Okay, okay, just be patient," Yoonjo tried to open the combination of her locker and voilà, it worked! 

She ped her backpack and stuffed some books inside her locker, zipping her backpack as she closed the door, taking Yooyoung's hand before dragging her.

"Woah, woah, woah, Ginger, you're too fast!"

"You said that we might be late for our Home Economics class."

"Oh, right. I'm so forgetful." Yooyoung mentally slapped her own forehead and Yoonjo let out a quiet giggle.

"Aw, Yooyoung, you're not that forgetful."

"But I still am."

"Alright, alright, let's not start a catfight here," Yoonjo concluded and continued dragging Yooyoung to the second block of Busan Arts High.

When they were just nearing their classroom, Yooyoung broke the silence by muttering, "Um, Yoonjo?" 

Yoonjo released Yooyoung's hand and stood in front of the classroom and bobbed her head from left to right.

"What's the matter, Yooyoung? Is something wrong between you and Nara?"

Yooyoung heaved a deep sigh and held Yoonjo's hands. "No, Yoonjo, it's just.. Are you still going to work at your aunt's boutique? I miss hanging out with you, girlfriend."

"I'm sorry, Yooyoung. But I have to earn extra money for myself and.. ooh, I have a suggestion!"

"What is it?" Yooyoung's eyes glistened at the thought as she flashed a very bright smile.

"You could help me at the boutique! Just tell your mom and I'll take care of the rest."

Yooyoung tackled Yoonjo into a bear hug and leaned on her shoulder, whispering, "Thank you, Yoonjo!"

"No problem, girlie." Yoonjo ruffled Yooyoung's hair and released the hug, twirling the door knob of their class door.

"Let's get in class, our professor will be arriving soon."

"Good afternoon, aunty." Yoonjo bowed her head as she walked inside the boutique, bobbling her head from left to right.

"Ah, good afternoon. You're quite early today, what's the matter?" Yoonjo's aunt turned her gaze at Yoonjo and cocked a brow as she finished arranging the clothes on the racks.

"There was a staff meeting at school so, we were dismissed early." Yoonjo flashed a bright grin and suddenly remembered about Yooyoung.

"Oh, aunty, I brought a friend of mine here. She would like to help you in the boutique."

"Are you serious? That's cool, the boutique's pretty crowded lately so I could use a little help from you girls. Where is she?"

"I thought that she was here.." Yoonjo looked at her left and she was literally flabbergasted — Lee Yooyoung was not there!

Yoonjo crossed her arms and shook her head at Yooyoung's disapperance. "Argh, where is–"

"I'm here!" Yooyoung entered the boutique with a ten-inch wide grin. Yoonjo and her aunt looked at Yooyoung and they were surprised.

The girl brought three cookies and cream smoothies and they were wondering what were they for.

"Uh, Yooyoung, what are those for?" Yoonjo pointed at the smoothies and Yooyoung smacked her own forehead.

"Um.. I bought smoothies at the nearby smoothie shop for you and your aunt."

"Ah, that's sweet of you! Thank you very much!" Yoonjo's aunt beamed and took one of the smoothies, sipping on the straw happily.

"No problem." Yooyoung smiled sheepishly and rubbed the back of her neck. "Anyway, I'm Lee Yooyoung, Yoonjo's best friend. It's a pleasure to meet you!"

"Oh, I'm Mrs. Im, Yoonjo's aunt. I guess you already know it," the middle-aged woman let out a dry chuckle before continuing,

"Ah, the pleasure's all mine. Well, welcome to Floral Boutique, Yooyoung! You can ask Yoonjo questions regarding everything in the boutique. I could say she already memorized the whole boutique and the handbook I gave her."

Yoonjo and Yooyoung each let out a quiet giggle as Yoonjo took one of the smoothies, sipping on the straw while looking at her aunt.

"So, Mrs. Im, when will our shift start?" Yooyoung tilted her head to the side curiously.

"You'll start at 1p.m. until 5:30p.m. You could go home with Yoonjo as she always takes a taxi after work."

"I got it! Thanks a lot for the opportunity, Mrs. Im." Yooyoung nudged Yoonjo's arm with hers.

Yoonjo was surprised as she nearly dropped her smoothie to the floor. "Yah, I nearly dropped my smoothie, Yooyoung!"

"Haha, I'm sorry!" Yooyoung stuck her tongue out and blinked her eyes. "What's your job here at the boutique?"

"I'd take over the cash register as usual." Yoonjo snapped her fingers at her idea. "You could help me by being my assistant cashier!"

Yooyoung scratched her head in confusion and puffed her cheeks out. "Do you mean.. by packaging the clothes into plastic bags and stuff?"

"Yup! I'm sure your first day will go well, trust me!"

"Wow, that was a lot of fun, Yoonjo!" Yooyoung stole a glance at her digital watch. It was 4:32p.m. and they still had less than an hour.

"Haha, I know right. The customers are decreasing when it's already in the evenings." Yoonjo stole some continuous glances at the streets through the glass windows of the boutique.

Her heart was beating fast and she could had swore that her hands were trembling. She was aware that guy would do the same thing to her like yesterday!

"Yoonjo! Shin Yoonjo! Sunshine! Ginger!"

"What is it?!" Yoonjo immediately snapped out of her thoughts and Yooyoung flashed a bright grin, pointing at some customers.

"Uh oh.." Yoonjo's cheeks flushed red in embarrassment and bowed her head, whispering, "I'm sorry."

She continued her work, with Yooyoung as her cashier assistant. After the boutique was back to its deserted mode, Yoonjo looked at the streets again and rolled her eyes playfully.

It was that guy again and he was waving at her, giving another playful wink. He flashed a bright smile and left the streets, which left Yoonjo in a daze again.

Unfortunately, Yooyoung saw the incident and she turned her gaze at Yoonjo with a smirk. 

"Yoonjo's got a secret admirer!" 

"Yah, just shut up!" Yoonjo pouted and smacked Yooyoung's arm lightly, puffing her cheeks out.

"Aw, someone's mad~" Yooyoung teased playfully. "Can you please tell me the details?"

"We'll.. talk about it later, Yooyoung." Yoonjo's cheeks flushed bright red at Yooyoung's teasing. 

She felt that she needed to hide somewhere and she felt embarrassed than ever — was that guy her stalker or secret admirer?

For the rest of the evening, that question still remained in her mind, leaving her more confused than yesterday.

"Here's your salary, Yoonjo and Yooyoung. Thanks for helping me! Yooyoung, you did a great job on your first day and Yoonjo, you were still the same. Keep up the amazing work, girls!"

Mrs. Im fist pumped into the air and the three shared a good-hearted laugh as the two received their salary.

"We should go home now, Yooyoung.. Why do I think it's going to rain?"

"Nope, we're not going home yet!" Yooyoung protested, making an 'X' sign with her fingers.

"What are we going to do? I want to rest!"

Yooyoung waved the brown envelope (which contained her salary) and beamed happily, giving the girl a wink.

"We're going to use my salary to go have coffee at The Lab!"

"The Lab? Ah, it has the best coffee, which tastes good with cakes for miles around!" Yoonjo felt relieved and heaved a sigh in satisfaction.

"That's right! Come on, we have to get there before the seats are full!"

Yooyoung grabbed Yoonjo by the hand and they skipped towards The Lab as they entered the café, sitting at two seats next to a window.

A good-looking waitress approached the two with a ten-inch smile, greeting them, "Hello there, welcome to The Lab! What can I get you for today, girls?"

"I'll get Espresso and a slice of blueberry cheesecake," Yoonjo ordered and turned her gaze at Yooyoung. "How about you, Yooyoung?"

"I would like a cup of Americano and an Oreo Cheese cake." Yooyoung drummed her fingers on the tanle.
 
The waitress jotted down their orders on her notepad, making an okay sign with her fingers before leaving the table with her black high heels. 
 
"Okay, they'll be ready in a few minutes!" Yoonjo and Yooyoung nodded their heads as their eyes followed the waitress before exchanging looks.
 
"So, Yoonjo, what's up with that guy – I mean, your secret admirer?" Yooyoung teased again and grinned softly.
 
"Um, it happened yesterday when he did the same to me. When I was about to go to the taxi stand, I accidentally bumped into him and we had a small conversation. Also, he called me a cutie.."
 
With that, Yoonjo's cheeks flushed red again and she covered her face with her hands in embarrassment.
 
Yooyoung just giggled quietly and tilted her head to the side, whispering, "Um, Yoonjo?"
 
Yoonjo looked at Yooyoung with a small hole she made with her hands and blinked her eyes. "Hm?"
 
"I think we would have to do an operation.. to see the guy's real agenda. Are you ready?"
 
"I'm always ready!" Yoonjo released her hands from her face and thought in her mind, Oh, Yooyoung, you do understand my situation.
 
Author's Sticky Note:
I'm very sorry for not updating yesterday, I don't know what happened to the server when I was writing this chapter. But I hope this chapter's longer and more interesting than the first one – thanks for the support, everyone!