It Seems Right Now

12 weeks with EXO :)

POV: Baekhyun
Genre: fluff
Warning: nope. Just cute hehe



Kris was coming towards him, holding his handphone with a gigantic smile.

Somehow, Baekhyun already knew what happened.

"So who is it this time?" He sighed into his cup of tea, watching as the swirling smoke drifted and fanned across his face.

Kris pulled himself up beside Baekhyun on the high seat, in the cafe they were in. "He's gorgeous!! I swear." He leaned over to hand Baekhyun his phone, and all at once Baekhyun was enveloped in Kris's warm familiar musky scent. "Look!"

Baekhyun peered into the phone and tried to look interested. Oh, it was a guy this time, a full-body shot of a tall lean man with curly chocolate locks and huge angelic eyes. "Chanyeol, his name is Chanyeol," Kris muttered dreamily, his eyes never leaving the phone as if he was undressing the boy with his eyes.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes and switched off the phone screen, making Kris grunt. "I didn't know you swung both ways, Kris Wu."

"What's wrong with that?" He huffed and ordered himself a cup a coffee.

"Nothing..." Baekhyun was so used to his best friend's weirdness, he was almost immune. While most people knew better than to mix with the world's coldest-looking man, Baekhyun opted out of the norm and became his best friend. Kris wasn't as cold as he looked, it was just a front he put up in front of others, to 'look cool'. 

But he knew otherwise. The countless crazy nights they spent in Kris's living room watching TV reruns and movie marathons and playing wrestling and soccer with Kris's X-box. Kris's wasn't a cold guy, he was the most silliest, happiest, fun guy he had ever known.

And then there was his crush. Towards his best friend.

Baekhyun knew that wasn't right, but it wasn't his fault that he was gay and that Kris was just too handsome for him to handle sometimes. Sometimes. The exception being when Kris was playing chubby bunny or when Kris was crying like a over some sappy romance movie.

"...And guess what? He said he liked me too and we kissed! Oh good lord..." Kris continued. Baekhyun realised he wasn't paying attention at all, and felt a pang of guilt. Here was his best friend all happy about his latest boyfriend, but he was ignoring him?

There wasn't any way to avoid that ache in his chest, though.

***

Baekhyun groaned loudly, as loud as he could, hoping that Kris would understand the hidden meaning behind it.

Why must I come on this stupid double date? And please, Oh Sehun and I are not even close to dating. He's just some stupid kid that we knew. God.

Sehun yawned and stretched his mile-long arms purposefully across the table. Baekhyun smirked when he realised that Sehun was trying to send signals to Kris too. He knew that the younger boy just wanted to go home and play his computer games like any 18-year old.

And he himself just wanted to leave and head home to relieve that all-familiar ache in his chest.

Kris, however, was completely oblivious to his friends. "Chanyeol, do you like the pasta here?" He cooed, and the said boy bobbed his head happily like a starved puppy, mouth full of pasta.

Baekhyun felt so grossed out, and seeing Sehun's reaction, he knew that he was about to puke any moment. So he grabbed Sehun's hand. "Hey we'll leave you two lovebirds alone...we've got important matters to settle." Before waiting for Kris's reaction, he yanked Sehun out of the shop.

Outside, Sehun shot him the most widest, most grateful smile Baekhyun had ever since on him. "THANK YOU SO MUCH YOU'RE MY SAVIOR!" He leaned over to hug Baekhyun happily before he pranced off to his computer games, waving behind his back.

What a kid, Baekhyun thought, shaking his head.

"You're not even going to eat your dinner?" Baekhyun yelled after him. He heard Sehun reply with something but he was too far to catch what he said.

***

Kris poked him with a frown. "You left that evening. What a meanie."

Baekhyun rolled his eyes and huffed his fringe. "Please, Sehun and I were completely grossed out, I don't want either of us throwing up all over the two of you."

Kris's frown didn't leave his face. "I think..."

"Think what?" Baekhyun turned to look at his friend with concern.

"Maybe he isn't the one." Kris looked down on his hands, with a sigh. Baekhyun blinked. "Why?"

"He... I felt like a father looking after a 5-year-old kid." 

Baekhyun snorted at this, clutching his stomach and heaving with laughter. Kris huffed and poked him again. "Meanie."

"I'm not! I didn't puke all over your handsome suit-"

"Shut up."

***

Not even two weeks later, Kris was back with that stupid grin. "Heeeeey."

Baekhyun suppressed a groan. "Now who is it? Not some puppy disguised as a human again, I hope."

"No no no!! He's really manly. Look!"

Baekhyun sighed and tried to look interested as he stared at the new picture of Kris's phone. And then he almost fell off his seat in shock.

"What the- you sure he's not part of a mafia clan or something?"

Kris clicked his tongue and hit him lightly with the phone. "Please!! Doesn't mean just because his eyes look a little scary, he's a bad guy, okay!! Plus, I find it quite y." He grinned that lovesick grin again, and Baekhyun sighed. 

The ache was back.

***

Why. Why. Oh why oh why oh why.

This time Kris didn't even bother calling Sehun. He wanted his new boyfriend Zitao to meet Baekhyun, but suddenly he had family issue to settle. That left Baekhyun staring really awkwardly at Zitao and trying not to imagine him being a serial killer or part of a mafia clan or terrorist organisation.

Zitao smiled at him, and Baekhyun felt his insides twist up nervously. 

"A pity Kris couldn't come," he remarked while chewing his steak. "I was really looking forward to seeing him you know. He is so handsome and his hands are so warm and loving and... And... He was the first person that ever gave me a chance... I... I am so grateful to him and I... I think he is the one for me and... He is such a god with a handsome face that..."

Baekhyun really wanted to bang his head on the table, so that was what he did.

Teary-eyed Tao looked up from his monologue, confused. "W-what?"

***

There was only one thing Baekhyun said to Kris when met him the next day. 

"Nooooooo."

"Why? I mean I know he isn't your type but..."

"Please!! He's not your type either, trust me." 

Kris blinked, irritated. "What do you know about my type, anyway."

Baekhyun felt a familiar clench of his heart. 

"Look, I'm not your best friend for 5 years if I were to say I didn't know your type, right?"

Kris sighed and shuffled his feet, and a slightly awkward silence enveloped the two for a while. Then Baekhyun cleared his throat. "I've gotta run, have class, see you."

And he walked off, away from Kris, as that painful feeling swelled in his chest again.

***

Baekhyun honestly wasn't surprised when Kris rang him up a few days later, saying that "we broke up, because I can't stand his over-clinginess that reminds me of a crazed fangirl."

The ache in his chest dissolved. But he knew it would be long before it returned. 

If only...

***

"Kris, oh god, what are you doing here?"

Baekhyun barely got that sentence out of his mouth before Kris pushed him aside roughly and stomped into his apartment like a raging lunatic. "Argh!"

"Geez what's up? Got turned down again?"

Kris swung around to meet his eyes with an angry flustered gaze. 

"This is so sickening!! I already broke up with Zitao for more than a week and he is STILL calling me and pestering me and flooding my SMS and email inbox with love songs URGH I hate this I'm going crazy!!"

Clearly traumatised, Kris flung his phone aside, and Baekhyun leapt to catch it before it clattered onto the dining table and possibly cracking the glass. 

"Tell me, Baek. What should I do..." Kris slumped onto the floor and threw his arms around his face in exasperation. 

"My love life is a mess, I can't find anyone that truly loves me, they are all either infatuated with my face or my body or are stupid morons with gaping mouths and play Little Pony in their rooms everyday!!!!!"

That's not true... There's me.

The room was suddenly silent as Kris looked up at Baekhyun, expression unreadable.

, did I just say that out loud?

Baekhyun felt his palms start to sweat. He cleared his throat awkwardly and wiped his hands on his shirt with a single movement, looking everywhere but at Kris.

"Look Kris, um, don't lose hope okay? I mean, you're good looking and handsome and funny and... What's there not to love, I mean..."

Suddenly Kris stood and walked decidedly in Baekhyun's direction, causing the smaller boy to yelp and stumble backwards until his back hit the front door.

With Kris's face hovering so close to his, Baekhyun sincerely felt like passing out.

"What are you implying?" He whispered, lips dangerously close to Baekhyun's ear.

Baekhyun gasped and suppressed the shiver that coursed through his body. "W-what do you mean, I-implying?"

Kris's eyes emitted a sad glow. "What's not to love about me?"

"I..." Baekhyun felt his heartbeat thundering in his chest as he struggled to from coherent words. "There's... Apparently I..."

Kris unexpectedly straightened, and pulled away from Baekhyun, his face once again unreadable. "Friends. What are they for." Kris pushed Baekhyun away from the door, swung it open and left the house abruptly.

Baekhyun gasped and clutched his chest, panting heavily. What the heck just happened?

Kris walked away. Because he was too chicken to say anything. Kris walked out on him. He was that close to confessing. Argh dammit.

Baekhyun grabbed his house keys and rushed out of the house.

***

He didn't have to go far. 

Baekhyun found Kris sitting by the fountain in front of the suite apartments that Baekhyun stayed at, plucking grass and looking downcast.

"Kris..." He stood in front of the other, and waited for a painful thirty seconds before the taller man finally looked up at him, with undeniably swollen eyes.

"Don't get me wrong. I'm your friend." Baekhyun placed his hands on Kris's broad shoulders, ignoring the tiny spark he felt at the simple contact. 

Then he decided it was now or never.

"But I want to be more."

Kris's eyes never left his. For the long one minute that they looked at each other, their silent exchange filled with unspoken emotions, a conversation that only friends with as deep as the bond between Kris and Baekhyun could hold. 

I have always loved you, you have always been the only one in my eyes. But we are best friends. Then again, who said one couldn't progress from a best friend zone? 

I want you to be mine, but I don't know how to express it. Then again, words aren't the only means of expression.

Baekhyun didn't know how he did it. But he did. 

He plucked up his courage and ended the sizzling silence with a chaste kiss to Kris's lips, fleeting, soft, and innocent.

Maybe we are meant for each other. It just didn't seem right before. Then again, there is a time and place for everything. Nothing else matters now. Because it seems right now.

When Baekhyun pulled away, the look they exchanged said it all.