Stay

Stay

Kyuhyun had never been so upset before in his life.

Super Junior-M had just performed their new single, and were just about to give their closing remarks. Everyone introduced themselves, and their words were met with cheers and applause, but then it was Zhou Mi's turn.

The air of the venue had instantly changed; there were the usual cheers, but Kyuhyun swore he heard some angry shouts of, "Only thirteen!". Frowning, he looked over to see if Zhou Mi was ignoring it or not; the usually cheerful man was still all smiles, and Kyuhyun smiled too, glad that the yelling didn't seem to be upsetting Zhou Mi.

That's when it had happened; as Zhou Mi stood there smiling, glowing due to the applause he recieved, someone threw a waterbottle at him. It struck him in the eye, and he immediately took a step back, his hand flying up to clutch where he had been hit. Kyuhyun's reaction was instaneneous; he ran over to Zhou Mi and strode offstage with him, muttering the only soothing words he knew in Chinese.

Once they were back in their dressing room, away from all the workers, Kyuhyun removed his arm from around the taller man's waist and grabbed his own frozen waterbottle out of the freezer, giving it to his friend to put against his eye. The two stood quietly in eachother's presence for about two minutes, the only sound audible being Zhou Mi's harsh breathing.

"Are you okay?" Kyuhyun asked finally, leaning against the wall behind him. "That looked like it hurt."

"Yeah, it did," Zhou Mi replied quietly. "But I'm fine. Thanks."

More silence ensued as Kyuhyun struggled with his anger; Zhou Mi was in pain, and it was because of some stupid fans. He had never hated fans before. But Zhou Mi was his friend, and nobody has the right to do something like that.

"This only thirteen thing...," Kyuhyun began again, his voice rough, "It's stupid. Incredibly stupid. I joined late, and nobody made a big deal out of it. You and Henry don't deserve this."

"Thanks," Zhou Mi said again, his voice a little stronger. "But sometimes it makes me wonder."

Kyuhyun's fist unclenched by his side. "What do you mean?"

"Maybe the fans are right. Maybe I should stop trying."

"Don't say that. You have to stay. Think of all the fans that do love you," Kyuhyun reasoned, not at all liking the defeated look in his fellow member's eyes.

"I know. But is that really reason enough?" Zhou Mi replied, his voice hushed once again. "Sometimes I feel like none of them do. I don't feel like anyone wants me sometimes."

"I want you," Kyuhyun breathed, his eyes avoiding Zhou Mi's gaze as he spoke. "I like you, and I need you. So, I want you to stay."

Kyuhyun didn't want to look Zhou Mi in the eye after his embarassing words, but he could feel the elder man's gaze on him, and it was making his skin flush.

"Then I'll stay for you, Kui Xian," Zhou Mi responded, sitting down on the desk behind him. "That's reason enough for me."

Kyuhyun nodded in acknowledgement, too shocked by his own words to say anything more on the matter, but his heart was beating just a little too fast for his tastes.