The Monkey Mascot I

The Monkey Mascot

Ferris Wheel aren’t breathe taking, aren’t they? When you’re in one, the feeling of movement… of flight where you feel like you could almost touch the sky… or at least you almost fall out of one. Like me…

 

Sooyeon work as a ‘Ferris Wheel ticket collector’ at the age eighteen as a part time. She used to love Ferris Wheel but some accident happened and it slowly became her greatest fear.

She was collecting tickets, a child ran in when the Ferris wheel is moving. It’s dangerous, so she chased after him so they got on a cable by accident. That cable’s door wasn’t closed completely yet and the impact was too great that she slipped and almost fell out of it.

Since that day, Sooyeon never had been on one again. The phobia was too great, but… the desire never went away. So she started working as a mascot. A monkey mascot. It’s kinda cute at first but being inside one is terrible. It’s hot like hell… She’s always sweating after work. Waiting for the day when she’s be brave enough to ride the wheel again.

 

“Come ride the merry- go- round… or try the lucky dip!”

 

This was the line that she used to attract ‘customers’. It’s a Sunday which explains the amount of people at the Lotte World. It’s fully packed with people. Sooyeon was working that day and she accidentally overhead a boy saying…

 “Goodbye.. world filled with sadness..”

He walk right pass Sooyeon and she looked at him confusedly.

“Eh?”

 

Did he say what I think he did? Huh, sounds like he’s going to.. Oh no. He’s heading to the Ferris Wheel! Oh god, he’s serious! I can’t let him!

 

“STOP!!!”

Sooyeon did not waste any much time as she began charging after the boy. Everyone stopped whatever they were doing and stare at her weirdly. The said boy turned back and gave her a questioning look but was too late as Sooyeon was practically jumping on him.

“Huh???”

“What th-”

Was the last thing she heard before they went on…. A Ferris Wheel. Sooyeon was too focus on that guy in front of him to realize that.

“Wha- What’s happening?!”

He asked,  totally scared. Of course. Who won’t be scared if an unknown monkey mascot suddenly jumps on you?

“DUDE, IF YOU’RE GONNA OFF YOURSELF, DO IT WHERE I’M NOT WORKING!”

 

Without hesitation or acknowledgement about her surroundings, she started shouting at him.

“If you die, you haunt this place and people stop coming, how’m I supposed to- Wait.”

Sooyeon was about to lecture longer but she stopped when she saw a bird flying pass the window. Her eyes shot right wide when she realize the situation she was at.

She’s on a Ferris Wheel. A freaking wheel!

 “Eh?”

The guy was still confused at her action but was more curious at what she was staring at.

“AHHH!! LET ME OUT!”



“Sorry about that…”

After that ‘scary ride’, they went to a nearby bench to have some talks.

“No, no, it was my fault for jumping to conclusions…”

“Oh come on! I shouldn’t have been thinking such things aloud! Not that I haven’t thought about it though, since my girlfriend left me.”

 

Sooyeon’s mouth formed an ‘o’ as she observed that guy’s every move. She quickly looked away when she realize she has been staring long.

“That Ferris wheel is where we met. I’m afraid of heights, to be honest, but for her, I’d ride the wheel a hundred times. She loved Ferris Wheels- loved it more than me at any rate.”

He sighed and kicked a pebble stone. Sooyeon looked at him, and felt bad.

 

“Oh come on! You shouldn’t force yourself! Sides, it’s her loss, not yours, for dumping such a nice guy like you!”

Sooyeon gave him some encouragement. But that line was from the bottom of her heart and she said it truthfully.

“Heh! You sure know how to pep a guy up! Gah, if you were my girlfriend, none of this’d ever have happened! Thanks for the talk.”

He said looking at his watch and grasp when he realize the time.

“Oh crap! I’m gonna be late for work! Sorry about this! Name’s Luhan! Mind if I stop by later?”

He asked. Before he even got an answer, he’s already gone.

 

No. Not in the least!



#BONK!#

 

“Yeouch! O-kay, maybe I’m not cut out to be an ice skater… but this suit’s not helping!”

 

#BONK!#

As a mascot, Sooyeon was forced to learn how to skate for advertisement use. Not to say that Sooyeon hates ice skating. But since it’s her choice to choose to become a mascot. She can’t do anything about it.

 

Somebody. Help me!

 

“An ice skating monkey? Amazing!”

Someone said. Sooyeon look up from the floor and saw him, the guy she met just yesterday… Luhan.

“Toldja I’d be back! I was asking for you, and the staff said you were here, so…”

 

He… Did he come to see me?

 

“Oh, Hi- GAHH!”

She wanted to greet him but she fell again.

 

#BONK!#

 

“Ouch!”

“Having fun?” Luhan laughed.

 

His laugh…

 

Despite the pain she’s feeling at her bottom, she felt happy and somehow glad to see him laugh. His laugh is like melody in her ears.



 “I never know being a mascot was so hard!”

“Of course it’s hard. Have you ev-?”

“Wow, you can see the Ferris wheel from here…”

“Uh, yeah. It’s huge!”

After the training, still in her monkey mascot, they went for a walk.

 

Say something! Omg, Sooyeon, this is awkward!

 

“Say, you still thinking about your ex?”

 

Omg. Why did I ask that sensitive question? Stupid.

 

“I guess. I mean, it’s only been a short while… but I gotta move on, stop living in the past, you know? Sides, I have a new pal to talk to, you know?”

“Really? News to me.”

“It’s a monkey! HA! HA!”

He said laughing. Sooyeon looked up and stare at Luhan through the monkey’s eye hole.

 

Me?

 

“Okay. I gotta go. See you! Bye!”

“Bye!”

Sooyeon waved and watches as his back fade.

 

This feeling… I’m not sure… but I can guess what it is.



It’s been days and Sooyeon had gotten very close to Luhan. He would come every time when he’s free. It’s like they became best friend. Well, at least it was for some people. The feeling is slowly growing more…

“Man! You should’ve seen her! Face red as a strawberry! Chew me out for not being loud enough!”

“What did you do?”

Luhan asked curiously.

 

“I told her ‘Boss, my suit can’t open its mouth to shout! Gimme a break!’”

Today is just any normal day they spent together with him looking as cute as ever and her, in a mascot.

“HAHA! You told her off good!”

 

He laughed. His laugh never failed to flutters Sooyeon’s heart.

“Oh man, I got to go to work.”

He said looking at his watch, slightly pouting.

“Oh, that’s too bad… Are you free tomorrow?”

 

She asked out of the blue when Luhan was packing his things up.

“Sure, why?”

“Well, I haven’t even told you my name. I mean, we have so much to really talk about!”

Sooyeon said as pink shade of red formed on her cheeks. Thank god for the mascot. Or else she would be as red as a tomato.

“Well, I can’t argue with that!”

He flashed her, a smile before leaving.

 

God! He’s meeting me in person tomorrow! I can’t wait!

 

Sooyeon personally dress herself nicely that day. Can you guess what day is that day? It’s her first meeting with Luhan and she’s more than excited and happy.

Walking down the bridge to the Ferris wheel, the place where they planned to meet up. Smiling like an idiot was the thing she did when she was about to reach.

 

Will he think I’m ugly? Oh no. I am ugly. Aishh! Stop thinking the negative side!

 

She reached the Ferris wheel already, and was looking around the place for him. Sooyeon couldn’t help but to think of Luhan’s expression when he knew that his monkey friend is a girl.

And there. Luhan stood still with a girl hugging him, crying in his embrace.

 

Who’s that? Hi- his ex?

 

Tears are already forming in the corner of her eyes but she quickly wipe it away.

That’s the moment when her heart was scattered into pieces. She never knew. Sooyeon ran out of there and went back to the staff room, acting normal when she saw her manager still there.

“Overtime again?”

“I guess. You go home first… I’ll lock up.”

“Okay. The master keys are in my locker.”

“Okay.”

Sooyeon reply solemnly. She look to see no one around and lean her back against the lockers.

“So… they’re back together. Th-that’s good. He sounded like he deserved a little happiness.”

“I only wishe- I’ve could’ve told him my name. I wish...”

Sooyeon cried. Tears were continually flowing out.

 

Stop crying, idiot. Stop crying. Stop crying.