KAI - Part 1

The Birth Of Exo

Kai

Jongin opened his crusty eyes when the sun hit his face. What he saw wasn’t his small bedroom with one creaking, a half boarded up window and a small basket of neatly folded clothes. What he saw were trees. Endless amount of trees. Chirp chirp. He could hear the birds chirping merrily in the sunlight. Jongin was lying on a patch of grass and his shirt was damp, almost wet since he was basically sleeping on morning dews.

Jongin lifted his heavy head slowly and looked around, rubbing his eyes to clear them up to see better. From he saw, he knew he wasn’t that far from the village because he could hear the noisy chatters of people busy running through their duty at the morning market place. He could also hear the cows moo-ing.Jongin rested his palms on his knees and stood up with a grunt. He stretched his arms upwards and yawned with his mouth wide open. Once he was done, he dusted of the grass and dirt on his jeans and hands before making his way back to the village.

Although he woke up at a totally different place from his bedroom, he wasn’t shocked. It happened almost every single night, except when he had nightmares. Why? He himself doesn’t know why. He walked slowly, enjoying the morning peace.

Jongin had always wondered why he would wake up somewhere else. He tried experimenting to check whether maybe he himself had sleep walked and had wandered off on his own at night. But that theory was proved wrong.

Jongin had tested that theory out. He tied both of his legs to the foot of his bed and made sure to all wrapped up in a blanket until he was hardly able to move. When he woke up the next morning, he was near an abandoned well which had obviously been left on its own a long time ago since moss were all over it. Fortunately, the places he had been were always near to his home, which he was glad about it. Although, he could remember almost all the places in town, like a map was stuck in his head. That means he doesn’t have to walk that far.

“I better get home or Omma would be paranoid all over again if I’m not in my bed,” He murmured to himself as he walks along grass field and passed through the market. He tried to walk as fast as he could because he’s afraid that the villagers might saw him but never mind that, his mother was all Jongin could think of right now. He’s worried that his mother would find out that he’s not in his room. Jongin remembered the day when his mother went into his room only to find out that her son was missing.

She searched all over the town, went to get help from everyone, even called the police. The only thought that was in her mind was that she’s afraid that someone might kidnap her son. At last, one of the villagers found him sleeping in a horse ranch, sleeping soundly on the hays. At first, they thought that he was running away from home, but when Jongin told the truth, no one believed him and called him a lunatic. His mother was mad at first, but relieved that her son was okay. Jongin wanted to ask her why he was like that, but then he knew even his own mother will never believe such a thing. But that was when he was still a child, but even though he’s already sixteen, he didn’t want to make his mother upset.

Jongin continued walking fast until he reached his house. It’s way at the far end of the town and sometimes people would even miss the junction to his house and would always have a hard time finding it. His family is poor since his father died and no one left to support those two. We could say that almost all villagers knew and respected his father and sometimes they would help Jongin's family. His mother, well, as we know it, loved Jongin very much since he was the only child and the only son to the family. Being poor didn’t bug him much because he was used to being like that. He never whines or complained. Just go with the flow he’d say.

His house was a small cottage surrounded with gigantic trees and it was such a very quiet place, you could only hear the birds chirping and the sound of small furry animals running around in the bushes. At night, he could hear owl’s making a sound or crows flying. To him, the place wasn’t all scary and eerie but peaceful instead and he liked that.

He carefully opened the front door, hoping it wouldn’t creak and prayed to lord that his parents was still asleep. He walked in and closed the door slowly. He tiptoed slowly and peeked into the kitchen to see if his mother was there. Clear.

“You’re up early,” Mrs Kim voice was heard. Jongin was surprised and jumped a bit. He turned around and his mom was in front of his parent’s room, holding a laundry basket with her nightgown still. He looked at the clock and it was already 9 AM. No wonder his mother was already up.

“Oh, omma! Err- I was hungry so I went to the kitchen,” Jongin nervously said while rubbing his tummy as if to indicate that he was hungry. But it’s true though, as soon as he said that, his tummy grumbled. Loudly as if someone was burping. He smiled sheepishly. Well at least I didn’t lie about that, he thought to himself.

“Obviously, it’s not like you were going to the morning market to get some food wouldn’t you?” His mom said smiling as she went passed him. Technically, he did go to the market because apparently he woke up in a grass field. He would much likely reply that if his mother would believe that he was not running away from home again. Instead he replied, “Oh right, of course. Omma, can we have pancakes again this morning?” The 16 years old Jongin smiled lovingly at his mother. “Anything for you, honey” His mother smiled to her son’s adorableness and went into the kitchen.

After his mom was out of his sight, Jongin quickly ran up the stairs and went back to his room to see that the rope he used the night before to tie his legs was still untied and the blanket were still rolled up like someone was still lying in it. This proves to Jongin that he had not sleep walked because if he did, the ropes would be untied and the blankets would already been strewn across the bed. It didn’t work as well this time. He didn’t know what to do. Although he’s used to waking up at different places than where he had fallen asleep, he was getting tired of it. However, deep down in his heart, he knew something was ought to occur in his life. Something that would make a complete 180 degrees change on his life but he’s not sure whether it would be for the best of him or the other way around.

Jongin being the witty kid that he always has been had another idea. What if maybe just maybe, if he thinks hard enough about a place and visualize it, would he suddenly transfer there? Imagine if he were to picture himself standing on the top of a carousel, would he out of the blue appeared and be riding on top of it?  Though it may sounds crazy but waking up in different places every day was pretty hardcore that it made him consider testing this theory out. Coincidently, he really wanted to go to a toy shop. Then, he closed his eyes, imagining himself in front of the toy shop. He started to chant in his mind.

Toy shop

Toy shop

Toy shop

                He opened his eyes and let out a breath that he didn’t realize he was holding once he saw that he was still in his room, lying on his bed. Definitely not in front of a toy shop. “Darn it! How do I make this thing work?!” He sat up and grabbed his pillow to muffle his scream. Giving up, he stood up, grabbed his towel and headed straight to the bathroom. Jongin was leaning against the sink with his hands as support while talking to himself in the mirror. “Maybe this is just all in my mind.” He lifted his arm and sniffed himself. Realizing that he smelt like cow dung, he made a face. “ Ughhh, I really should take a shower, I reek” .

 

Next morning

Jongin’s POV

                I’m still closing my eyes, too lazy to open and get up. I’m probably somewhere else again. Ugh, I’m too tired to walk back home~~~. I opened my eyes slowly and I saw that I was still in my bed. I looked around to see my towel hanging on the rack, clothes fold neatly in the basket on the other end of the bed. I was relieved that I’m still at home but why do I feel like something’s off?

                Suddenly my vision blurred and I felt like my stomach was squeezing out everything back up my throat. It all went ridiculously fast and before I could recover, I knew I was no longer in my room. I looked to see my new foreign surrounding only to realize that I had been transferred somewhere else. I hugged my knee tightly to my chest and closed my eyes. I was rocking back and forth praying that when I opened my eyes, I would see my worn out bed and all my belongings in my room. I hoped and hoped that this was just a nightmare. I was scared because this was the first I didn’t woke up somewhere else but instead transported somewhere on my own accord. I didn’t know what to do.

                After I had slowed down my breathing to calmed down and as my vision turned clear once again, I saw trees. Endless amount of trees. Suddenly, all of my senses heightened, I smelled grass, and green and I smelled wood. I could smell the soil and the morning dew hanging from the edges of the grass. It was the smell of Mother Nature. The bottom of my pants felt damp. I knew I was in the middle of the forest and the morning was still early. Eventhough I’ve been playing in forests near my village ever since I was born and it has become a part of me, I have no clue. I knew I’ve never been here before and I’m pretty sure, this was nowhere close to where I live. Holy Kimchi. Suddenly, I could hear footsteps walking toward me from behind.

“Hey kid,” A quiet but deep voice called out from behind me. I whirled around and crouched in a defensive stance just to see a man standing closely behind me. The man was tall and was sharply dressed. *He must not be from around here. But why would a man who seems to have wealth like him be doing in a forest like this?* I thought. I quickly stood up and walked a few steps back, away from the man. Eventhough he looked calm and he didn’t seem to be the type who would act aggressively, I still had to be cautious. Looks can be deceiving and omma always said to beware of strangers. The man was in his mid-thirties and was wearing a dark brown-black leather trench coat with his hair swept to the back neatly. He looked intimidating but he also seem warm at the same time. He seemed fatherly and strangely he reminded me of how it feels whenever appa is around. 

“Wh-who are you, ajusshi?” I staggered a bit and my voice was trembling. I was still shocked to see such a well-dress man as him in a forest as well as being is this foreign place. I was expecting him to ignore my question or answer me with some ridiculous answer but instead he started laughing. I was confused. I was really creeped out and I was already thinking of taking off when he stopped and smiled gently down at me.

“My dear boy, don’t be afraid we shall soon meet one day,”

It wasn’t a creepy evil smile but instead a sympathetic one and it managed to calm me down but I was still confused. What does he mean by that? Why would he say that we would meet again one day? I stared at him suspiciously with my brows raised.

“Who are you? Have we met befo-?” He cut me off before I could finish my sentence.

“Jongin, my young one, don’t be afraid, I’m here to help you,” He smiled that smile again. But my face was in contorted in horror as he called out my name. How did he know my name? I recalled whatever I said before and I was sure that I haven’t said anything about names and all. This man is really starting to scare me. I stepped back. I automatically returned back to my defensive mode. My hands curled into fist, ready to punch him if he decided to come closer. Who knows, maybe he wanted to kidnap me. Maybe he’s just some well-dressed psychopath.

“Ahjussi! Why would you help me?” I asked him in panic. “I don’t even know you, okay so, how do you know my name? What do you want from me?” The man didn’t say anything in return but only stepped closer to me. Only leaving a gap of hardly one foot between us and he was standing right in front of me. But how? He was standing one meter or more away from me but how could he suddenly get in front of me?  I could swear that he didn’t ran but how could he move so fast and in a blink of an eye too? It was as if he had teleported …here. “H-how did you…?” My jaw dropped and my body trembled in fear.

“Shh,shh, there’s no need to be afraid,” He smiled again and put one hand on my shoulder. Surprisingly, his hand felt so warm and my body started to calm down. I didn’t feel the need to be scared of him anymore but why? I don’t know.  He took a breath before opening his mouth to speak.

“Jongin-ah, I’m just like you, and you’re just like me. We’re the same. You don’t know how happy I am to finally see you in person. Don’t be afraid and remember that you are special. One of a kind.” He patted my shoulder, shooting a bright smile and his beaming white teeth at me. His fangs are so long... I thought. He looked at his wrist watch and suddenly gives me a sad smile, “Jongin, it’s probably best if you get home now. Trust me, we would meet soon.” He patted my hair before scrunching up his forehead. He looked like he was in pain. Before he turned his back on me, he said “Oh, and Jongin, make sure to look after your mother,” Then in a blink of an eye, he disappeared, leaving me standing alone in a middle of the forest that I don’t even know.

I stood there still in confusion. Then my thought suddenly went to omma and my home. I was thinking on how to get back home before omma finds out that I’m not in my room. But before I could take one step forward, I had that nauseating feeling again and in a swift, I was back at home. I was in my room again, lying on my bed. I sat up, confused and looked around. I looked out the window and realized that it was still early morning.  I swung my feet off the bed and thought back to the incident before. Back to the mysterious man and the unknown forest.

“Was that a dream? Or was it real? I must be going crazy. Aish, michigesseo!” I grunted on my own and pulled on my hair in frustration.

“Jongin-ah! Jongin-ah!” I heard a loud scream coming from downstairs. I froze at my spot. The only person was in my mind was...

Omma.

 

 

p/s : Here you go! First part of Exo's Kai keke, part 2 will posted soon! :) if you like it dont forget to subscribe and comment! I really wanna know what you think about this :) Thank you guys! *throw hearts to you all* and don't forget, do it for the love of exo! XD