Comfort

Rainy Day

          After nearly half an hour of tossing and turning on her futon, she was filled with frustration that she couldn't get him out of her mind and also with a little worry. In the end, she pulled on her jacket and scarf and grabbed her pair of sneakers. She climbed out the window and onto the tree. With one last look at her house, she lowered herself down and went to find Taehyung. She checked the street she left him on first and when she saw him not there, she went to ask the coffee shop if they had seen him and his mom. The owner said that they came in a few minutes ago for some coffee, but the young man left before their drinks were served.

 

If you see him, can you give him his coffee?” The owner asked while holding out a to go cup. “I feel bad taking his money when I haven't given him his share.” She nodded and took the hot coffee from him and left the store. She looked down both ends of the side walk with hopelessness. She had no clue where to find him nor, did she have his number. As if a light bulb was in her head, it lit up when she remembered him mentioning about the park not far from where she was.

 

I used to go there when I was younger. She repeated in his voice and walked in the direction of the park. She took her time and cautiously walked to the park since the snow was starting to build up on the streets. A few minutes passed her by and soon she arrived at the park to see no one. She was just about to give up and go home due to the cold, but her eyes caught someone on a swing. She approached the swings silently with only the sound of the snow scrunching under her footsteps. She managed to make out the person to be Taehyung. She stopped right in front of him and he slowly lifted his head up. His eyes were hollow and pink as well as his cheeks and nose. His hair and clothes were damp from the snow as well. He looked down at their shoes without uttering a word. She unwrapped her scarf from her neck and carefully placed it around his, thinking it was the best thing for her to do. How he looked now was too fragile for her to touch. She took one end of the scarf and proceeded to delicately wrap the fabric around his neck. It was her first time seeing someone like this other than herself so she didn't know what to say to him. She was afraid that she might make him feel worse than he already feels. Having nothing else to say or do, she placed the cup of coffee on the ground in front of him and turned to walk away. The scent of her coming from her scarf made him get up and run after her. And with that, his action was made with feeling instead of thinking. He pulled her back and hugged her from behind tightly. The coldness from his face lightly grazes her ear and she gasped in shock. She tried to turn, but he doesn't let her. The close contact made her tense up and held her breath.

 

Please. Don't go.” He said with a pained muffled voice. “Can we stay like this for awhile?” She relaxed in his arms and so does he. He took advantage of her warmth and held her even more closer. They stayed silent and listened to each others breathing. His left hand left her waist and slid down to her left arm. He opens her cold fingers and placed a diamond ring into it. “This was my mom's wedding ring.” He spoke up and his hot breath hits her neck. She opened her hand to see the silver band and glistening diamond in her palm.

 

Why is he telling me this? She thought.

 

I don't know why I kept it all these years.” He returned his hand to where it was. “Can you keep it for me?” He rested his head on her shoulder. The thought of Sanghee popped into her mind which made her want to move away, but he kept her still.

 

Why... Do you want me to keep it?” She finally asked with the slight turn of her head.

 

Mommy... where are you going? Please answer me!” Taehyung begged as he grabbed a hold of one of the suitcases her mom was pulling along. He stopped her just before she could leave the house. He looked for his dad for help, but he was sitting in the living room staring at the wall. “Mom! Please!” He pleaded and she finally looked at him after trying desperately to ignore him since she packed her luggage.

 

Mommy...”She whispered painfully and lets go of the luggage handle. She crouched down and ran her fingers through his hair. “Mommy is moving. I can't live here anymore.” She explained with tears in her eyes and seeing her holding back her tears, Taehyung starts bawling.

 

I don't understand!” He shouted, “Why are you going? I'm sorry, mommy. Please don't leave me!”

 

I will come back for you, Taehyung. Mommy will find a good house for you and I to live in.” Tears started to roll down her cheeks.

 

But what about dad? Is he not going to live with us either?”

 

We will live with Uncle Eric. He will bring you to the States when we settle there.” She smiled, “We can be a family there.”

 

I don't like Uncle Eric!” He grabbed her coat collar. “Please stay mommy! I will be good. I will do whatever you say and I will be the first in school!”

 

LISTEN TO ME!” She snapped and slapped him across the face. He fell backwards with more tears flowing. She stared at him with pain, but doesn't give in. She pulled him onto his feet and held him by the shoulders. “I will come back, Taehyung.” She promised, “Be good.” She collected her things. Taehyung hopelessly sat there and watched his mom leave with his Uncle Eric. The tall Caucasian man smiled and waved at the boy despite knowing it wasn't a good time to greet him. Uncle Eric helped the boy's mom with her things and they got into the taxi that has been waiting for her patiently.

 

She's moving back to Korea. She said she's going to move to Gangnam with her husband and... son.” He buried his face into her shoulder after mentioning husband. “She finally comes back after abandoning me.” He scoffed and tears started to form in his eyes. “I... don't know what I should do... I can't hate her and I can't love her.” He choked. “I feel angry that she's back after not calling once to check up on me. I'm angry because she missed out on half of my life. And my heart hurts knowing she left me for someone else. It hurts seeing how she raised her other son without raising me. But, you know what's funny? She wants me to live with them there. To catch up on the years she missed.” He lets go of her and sniffled. He wiped away his tears and lets out one last sigh. Yejin wanted to turn around, but she didn't know how to face him and she was unsure if it was even her place to talk.

 

          Instead, she held out her hand to give back the ring. He took it in his hands and held it up. He wanted to throw it so that it can be hidden within the snow, but he couldn't bring himself to commit the act. He glanced over at her neck to see her wearing a necklace with a ring hooped through the chain. He took her necklace and unhooks it halfway and slipped the ring through. She turned in surprise after feeling the ring fall right next to her pendant.

 

Ah, the coffee is warm.” Taehyung said with his back facing her. He took a long sip of the coffee that warmed his insides. “Thanks, Yejin.” He walked away without even looking at her. She tried to call out, but her voice was caught in . He disappeared from under the street light and into the darker side of the park. She held the ring in her hand and twisted it back and forth between her thumb and forefinger.

 

What am I going to do with this? She asked herself. Was it... really a good idea for me to come out?

 

          Ending everything with one last sigh, she returns home.