Wonderland

Wonderland

"Jiyong.. Jiyong, relax, it's nothing but a dream. Jiyong, Jiyong!"

And there I am again. Floating. No, more like flying. I am fully aware of my body being shut down completely, and that my eyes are closed, this world of mine now appearing instead of the darkness that surround me normally as my lids fall closed. I am aware of the voice coaching me back to reality, but at the same time I am too curious about this new world to return, so as the voice becomes stronger, I run further. I run between trees made out of peppermint stakes - is it perhaps Christmas here soon? - I run through bushes that grow small lemon drops, and I cannot resist taking two or three with me as I move further into the land of abnormal objects and animals. Look, there's even a bird with the body of a bee! Best stay away from it in case it can sting...

With the last drop in my mouth, I finally slow down as the voice is now at a great distance, so now I can finally take in some more of this obscure world my mind has decided to create, only to feel a tiny sting of familiarity. I have been here before, haven't I? Oh well, no time to think of that, for now I am entering what looks like a path, and my legs carry me along this path to see the places it decides to show me.

I happen to stumble upon a table, a long table with fine sets of cups and pots placed upon silk that covers the plank, but there is no one here. Just a lonesome hat sitting on the chair on the other side. I jump up on it, for what reason? Why for fun of course! I grab the hat and put it on my head before I sit down in the chair, taking a sip from the filled cup of tea in front of me. Yuck, what a terrible choice of taste! My former plans are immediately thrown away as I move from the empty table, walking now next to a lake with the hat still placed nicely upon my head.

There are still no signs of humanity here, my not included, as I step around a corner of trees and follow the lake I have discovered, only to be led to a big wall. Made out of stone, naturally, and I place my hand upon it as if it will fall at my touch, but still it stands, and I will have to find another way around it. 

It isn't until now that I question where I might be. What is this place I have imagined in my sleep? Why do I feel the need to make it up in the first place? Do I fear the dark? And why is all of this so familiar? And where have my clothes gone to? I am very sure that I wore nothing like this when I came here, and I would never come up with the idea of wearing a dress in the first place! It is the chilly air that draws my attention to my clothes, but it is then the sound of a loud bang that drives it back to my main course - to find some other way inside of the wall.

It is then I put my hands in the pockets of the blue dress, only to find a bottle that has a tiny note saying drink me on. I don't hesitate, drinking it immediately. What is this - am I shrinking? Shall I disappear from this wonderful and mystic world? No, I have stopped, and I am now available to see a way through the wall. Why it's nothing but a small crack in it just a few meters ahead of me, and I don't waste time before I move towards it.

That is until I am pulled back out of this land and into reality when the same voice from before calls out to me, and my eyes open, all of the wonders I had seen gone and replaced by the boring white wall of the office I am placed in.

"Finally, you're awake, Jiyong. I was really scared there for a second!"

My gaze turns to whoever is speaking, finding it to be my friend Seunghyun, now with a worried look on his face. He frowns at me before tilting his head.

"You were babbling about all sorts of things I couldn't understand. More like nonsense, made no sense at all! Are you really okay?"

"I'm fine," I finally reply to my worried friend before I pull a smile.

"So your sanity is fine too?"

"What did I say about mentioning all that? It is in the past, Seunghyun. I am not crazy anymore. 'Nor will I become it."

"Well you are beginning to replay some old memories, because I do remember that you had these types of dreams at that time. And if it weren't for me, you'd still be there, or even worse, you had succeeded in killing yourself that day. Jiyong, you're not going back to Wonderland."

I huff a little.

"What Wonderland?"