Part Three

Falling Slowly

A/N: Okay so this will actually be four parts. I hope no one minds! Thank you guys so much for your comments! Honestly I was quite terrified getting into the Miss A fandom fic wise because I was afraid I wouldn't get their personalities right. But you guys gave me strength, thank you so much! Enjoy the next installation!

The weekend is something Jia never plans on forgetting.

Suzy wakes up first and she realizes that they’ve knocked over the blanket in their sleep. She’s warm still however, for Jia is keeping a protective grip around her. When she turns her head back to where it was when she woke up, she realizes that Jia’s shirt had ridden up in the middle of their slumber and that her chest was in full view. She suddenly feels even warmer and immediately casts her eyes upwards to meet Jia’s closed ones.

The older girl is snoring slightly and is a little open which Suzy finds adorable. She’s mumbling too, but it’s in a foreign language that Suzy assumes is mandarin. She can’t move much in Jia’s arms so she can’t get up. Not that she minds much, she could watch Jia sleep forever.

She’s not sure how it started.

She swears that at the beginning she was just really excited to have someone sleeping over at their house. She was excited to show someone her beautiful town and country and help them learn her language. She was excited to have a friend to play with all the time, especially when she’s too awkward to really be close to anyone near to her.

All of her friends in her neighbourhood barely counted as anything beyond an acquaintance and they just really talked and hung out when it was convenient for them. She kind of had friends in her summer school but they were all too busy with family things to hang out all too much. Suzy didn’t even like ‘hanging out’ she just liked staying at home with Damon and doing something on her computer or watching tv or whatever she can find to do at home.

She never really realized how much she wanted a close friend until she met Jia.

When she first saw her picture she was a little intimidated but learned to giggle at that strange grimace of hers. She wore it whenever she was spacing out or thinking a little too hard and Suzy couldn’t help but point it out every time she saw it.

If she could, she would take a picture of every time Jia became flustered at Suzy’s teasing because it was in those vulnerable moments where Suzy found the older girl the cutest. She already asked for enough pictures with Jia every time they went out, from doing tourist like things to just going to the park or even just a joint effort to take little Damon out on a walk.

It isn’t until a day or so after Jia’s arrival that she figured out how to make the girl smile for real and laugh. Suzy wasn’t really sure at the time what that weird feeling in the pit of her stomach was whenever Jia would smile at her, but now when she thinks back on it she just laughs. How blind could she have been?

Jia was definitely different from her, but it didn’t stop the two from getting along. Jia took care of her and honestly made her feel like she mattered and that she wanted her around. Jia never made fun of her strange antics (too much) and always played along even when Suzy wasn’t sure if the things she said or asked for was weird.

It also didn’t help that Jia was so pretty. So so pretty that it was unfair.

She has this bright orange hair that Suzy has never seen on anyone else. At first she was surprised because she swore she was blonde in her profile photo but then Jia shared how she liked to dye her hair when she felt bored enough and Suzy felt that it made sense. Suzy told her once that she wanted to see it at its natural black and Jia promised her, maybe before she goes.

Ah yes, she was leaving in a few weeks. Suzy bit her bottom lip as she tried to lead her mind astray from the thought of her leaving. No, it was still far from now and she had Jia all to herself each and every day. There was nothing to be sad about but only so much to look forward to.

Yes, each day was an adventure with the older girl. A new chance to learn something new about her and a new chance to find something else that she absolutely adores about her.

Suzy wondered how she got herself into this mess.

She knew from the beginning that it’d be difficult to see Jia go once they’ve become good friends. Even her mom warned her, her dad too. They knew how Suzy got attached to people. But now Suzy had to go and make it even harder for herself. Now she’s gone and done that thing where she falls for the other girl.

Dammit.

Jia’s eyes suddenly flutter open and she yawns a little aggressively, causing Suzy to chuckle at her. She grumbles and forms many strange shapes that Suzy has never seen and frankly she’s fascinated.

“Are you okay?” she asks softly, trying not to startle the older girl. “You sound like you’re in pain.”

Jia takes a moment to analyse the situation and just stares at Suzy, unsure as to where she is or even who she is. And then when she realizes how tightly she’s holding onto Suzy and how close the younger girl is to her face, she lets go and backs away quickly.

Only to fall off the bed.

“Are you okay?!” Suzy asks again, this time a little desperately with her voice coated in concern. She didn’t mean to startle the girl so much! She hopes that she’s not hurt.

But once she leans over the bed and sees Damon Jia’s face, she can’t help but find herself giggling again.

“Morning to you too Damon,” Jia grumbles, struggling under Damon’s tiny weight and trying her best to regain her composure.

For breakfast, Jia offers to cook this time since Suzy cooked their dinner the night before. Suzy objects at first, but Jia refuses to take no for an answer and bolts to the kitchen to start the meal. Suzy is no match for Jia’s speed and just lightly jogs to the kitchen to see what Jia was going to prepare for them.

Jia cracks a few eggs and puts together whatever meat she can find in the fridge before cutting up some fruits for the both of them. Suzy offers to cook a bit of rice for the two and Jia nods before placing crudely made egg rolls onto a plate.

“I don’t cook too much, but I’m 80% sure that this is edible,” Jia jokes before placing the finished products before Suzy.

Suzy isn’t even sure if it tastes awful and she’s not cautious if maybe it was meant to poison her. But because it was food made by her dear friend, made personally for her, then it was the most delicious breakfast ever.

The day progresses quicker than Suzy expects and she’s disappointed when the sun is already threatening to set. They had spent their time doing homework and Suzy tutored Jia and helped her prepare for a class presentation that Tuesday.

Jia’s accent was thick and incredibly obvious, which Suzy found adorable. What she liked the most was how much the girl would say no matter how awkward or incomprehensible it sounded. She tried, and really that’s all that mattered. Sometimes when Jia wasn’t around her parents would poke fun at her pronounciation, but Suzy always fought back saying that her accent was her favourite.

“Let’s go to the park,” Jia insists as she places down her pencil. She stretches her limbs and she can’t believe she almost spent the whole day doing work. Time really went by quickly when it was just her and Suzy together.

“The sun is going to set soon, though,” Suzy says, looking out the window. “What if it gets too dark while we’re out?”

Jia shrugs before getting up and walking over to wrap her arms around Suzy’s waist and hug her from behind.

“I want to watch the sunset with you. Isn’t that on your list?” she almost laughs when she feels the younger girl stiffen under her words and touch. “Besides, if anything happens in the dark then I’ll protect you, okay?”

Screw her accent, before Jia had difficulty forming complete sentences and now here she was, making Suzy blush like mad over her words. Not that the intimate hugging helped all that much.

“If you really want,” Suzy responds, closing her eyes and leaning back into Jia’s touch and holding onto the hands that were settled on her stomach. As if it was the most natural thing, their fingers intertwined and Suzy felt like she was dreaming.

As much as Jia enjoys looking out the window and being still with Suzy, there was a sunset and a pond they needed to visit as soon as possible. Surely, their moment was magical but soon, hopefully, there would be an even more magical moment.

“Let’s go.”

It felt weird with Jia guiding Suzy through the forest. They had only ventured into the park two or three times and yet Jia remembered the way over perfectly. She was impressed and extremely happy that Jia was the one taking the lead instead of just curiously looking around.

Her grip on the older girl’s hand was tight and she wondered if she minded at all. She gave a playful, experimental squeeze and her smile grew even wider when Jia squeezed back without hesitation.

Finally, they get out of the forested area and find a small path that leads to a small pond located in the middle of the park. Jia leads Suzy down the path onto a small dock and instructs the girl to sit down.

They were just in time for the sunset.

Jia stares forward, her head trying to sort out all of the words she wants to say. Meanwhile, Suzy is preoccupied with staring at the profile of Jia’s face and the way her hair absorbed the sunlight and the beautiful way the light made her face shine. She casually tucks some of Jia’s hair behind her ear before gently caressing the side of her face, calling Jia’s attention.

“You bored?” Jia chuckles, placing a hand over Suzy’s wandering one. “Wow, you’re warm.”

She closes her eyes and presses Suzy’s hand closer to her cheek as she rubs her face into it. This causes the younger girl to blush and look away, hoping that the older girl doesn’t catch it.

“Gosh, what’s with you Suzy? Are you acting shy again?” Jia teases, leaning forward and using her hand to turn the younger girl’s face so that she would face her again.

“Come on, let’s just watch the sunset huh?” she insists before lightly jabbing Suzy with her elbow and reaching for her hand again. It only felt right to be watching the sunset while holding hands after all.

The two share a moment of silence as the sun makes its dramatic decent down the sky. Both girls are focused on the beautiful moment and all that can be heard is their breathing and the slight rustling of leaves in the background.

Jia stops looking at the breathtaking scene before her to turn to the one next to her. She thought that maybe Suzy could see her staring at the corner of her eye, but luckily she isn’t caught. She smiles slightly at Suzy who is so engrossed at the sight before her that she doesn’t notice Jia coming closer and closer.

Jia isn’t good with words.

Even in her native language she finds it difficult to properly portray her feelings. That’s why she’s thankful for a best friend like Fei who understands her without her having to say much and that’s why she loves her cat who doesn’t require Jia to constantly gush at her with feelings of love.

Jia’s awkward and she can’t help but be that way. She loves a lot of things and expresses her feelings for them in her own ways. Like when she hits Fei on the shoulder or when she stays up at night to decipher what Rihanna is saying in her latest hit by hitting up Google translate. Like when she dances alone in her basement or when she goes all the way to Korea by herself to learn the language despite her difficulty communicating with people in general, despite what little funds she already has, just to see the country up close and personal, like in her dreams.

Like when she’s too scared and uncertain to tell Suzy exactly how she feels, so instead she’s leaning forward and taking the girl’s lips by surprise.

She presses gently at first, her lips lightly brushing against Suzy’s as she leans a little bit closer, millimetre by millimetre. She’s sweating, she knows it and she’s terrified, ready to scream and throw things but she’s doing it, she’s kissing Suzy.

Her eyes are closed and she waits awkwardly against Suzy’s lips for a response. She may not be the smartest person in the world, but something told her that Suzy felt the same way. She’s hopeful, maybe too hopeful but it was now or never. She couldn’t possibly wait until the end of the five weeks to tell Suzy how she felt, especially when they could spend the last two weeks of her stay as a couple, as lovers.

It takes a while but Suzy finally moves. She leans forward and adds more pressure onto Jia’s lips, reciprocating her feelings but also unsure of what she’s supposed to be doing exactly.

It’s her first kiss.

With Suzy’s permission, Jia leads the way and inches closer to the younger girl, wrapping her arms around her waist and moving her lips again, slowly and tenderly to show Suzy how much she wanted her, how much she had waited for this moment. The younger girl wraps her arms around Jia’s neck and pulls her closer as well. She’s not sure of herself, but what she knows is that she wants Jia against her like this longer, always, as often as possible.

Their kiss becomes more passionate as Jia moves again, even nibbling on Suzy’s lips a little. This catches Suzy by surprise and she feels her face heat up, but she doesn’t pull away. She allows her body to respond on its own and soon, the two are lying on the dock, sunset far away from their little world.

Jia forgets that Suzy is probably incredibly new to this and becomes a bit braver, her tongue making a trail over Suzy’s bottom lip. She’s asking for entrance, but this is where Suzy stops. Jia is clearly disappointed and she's pouting but understanding. After all, this was already much farther than she expected. She has to tell Fei asap.

Their eyes make contact again, chests heaving as they recover from the heated moment. They feel the sparks flying and wonder if maybe they took too long to kiss like that, to confess their feelings. But it doesn't matter anymore.

Suzy smiles at Jia and leans forward to plant a quick kiss on her lips.

“Let’s go back home, okay?”

They’re walking back, hand in hand, in silence as their surroundings became darker and darker.

Suzy can’t stop smiling and Jia doesn’t fail to notice this. It gives her courage as she squeezes Suzy’s hand and says out loud, her voice echoing throughout the forest.

“I like you a lot, Suzy.”

She had practiced that phrase over and over again in her head, making sure she said it perfectly. It was a simple sentence, yet it held so much weight. Jia could feel that very weight lift itself when the words were repeated right back at her.

“I like you too, Jia.”