Part Two

Falling Slowly

A week into the program, Jia stops worrying about her accent when she’s speaking in Korean and she’s actually doing okay in class. It surprises her how much harder she’s working abroad, but she figures it must be the better environment.

She comes home to loving parents and an equally (arguably more so) loving Suzy as opposed to a household where no one’s home. She decides that it feels good and takes into consideration doing the same thing for her family in the future, if possible.

It also turns out that Suzy is going to the same summer school so the two get driven there in the morning by her parents and in the afternoon when classes are done, the two take a long walk home. It’s a long, 45 minute walk but Suzy insists on them getting fresh air and exercise. Jia doesn’t mind, usually, since Suzy proves to be great company.

Besides, she’s been feeling stiff due to the lack of movement.

Jia is a dancer by nature and back home, in the vast space of her empty basement she would practice. She used to be in her school’s dance club before it was disbanded due to inactivity. Her and Fei were one of the few members, and it was a pity it shut down only after a few years.

From then on Fei moved to the school’s cooking club and Jia decided to dance alone at home. She would occasionally have the chance to show off at talent shows or parties, but normally her dance was for herself or maybe even for Fei.

No one would know, but she’s choreographed a dance for each hit Rihanna song out. And maybe a few others. Suzy has found one of Jia’s many posters of Rihanna that stuck out of her bag and insisted and even offered to put them up for her in her room. Jia is thankful and doesn’t hold back in decorating the guest room after. Suzy is now familiar with how the foreign singer looked in each of the stages of her career as a singer.

Suzy had asked Jia about her interests and weirdly enough Jia found herself sharing bits and pieces of her past to Suzy. It felt strange at first, but there was just something about the other girl that made it easy for her to open up. She never planned this, for she thought she’d just be doing a bunch of tourist type activities on her own and with her class. She expected her host family to just tolerate her, feed her and occasionally help her practice her Korea. But with Suzy, it was more than that, it was almost as if she was living there permanently, comfortably.

Suzy just finished her freshman year of high school and was already doing her best to get ahead. Jia admired that, since she never really cared all that much for school. She just wanted a slightly above average grade and to graduate without a fuss. When Jia told Suzy that she was going into her final year, Suzy pounced on her with question after question about what it was like.

Jia couldn’t say much, but she patted Suzy’s head affectionately and told her to just enjoy school.

The two would do their homework together in the kitchen after dinner. The two would do the dishes together, clean up the table together and then get all their work done together. Under a bright light with light snacks set up for them by Suzy’s mother and father. It made the hour or so of homework go by much faster than she expected, making the work easier to bear.

“We make a good team, huh?” Suzy would chirp as she twirled her pencil around. Sometimes it’d hit Jia in the face, but Jia couldn’t bring herself to be mad at Suzy. Never.

Two weeks into the program, everything is routine. Jia would wake up with a smile on her face, wondering what possible adventures awaited her for that day.

Jia would also use Suzy’s family computer to keep herself updated with family and friends. Her parents wished her luck and checked on her every once in a while. And Fei? Fei was constantly emailing her back and forth. It made Jia wonder if the girl was really that busy with work related things.

It was amusing how quiet and awkward Fei was in classes, in public in general and yet when they were alone Fei was abusive and kind of really rude. But then again, Jia wasn’t any better. Their friends often told them that they were on the embarrassing side in public, especially when they argued.  

It felt good going back to her native language and when Suzy would try to peek over her shoulder at what she was writing, the girl would have no idea what she was talking about. Which was a good thing.

It’s too bad you won’t be able to meet Suzy, Fei Fei. She’s probably the sweetest person in the world.

Sweeter than me? Fei would reply and Jia would just roll her eyes knowing that the girl was just laughing miles away.

Yeah, she doesn’t hit me for burping out loud in public or fixing my pants. Or for beating her at a game.

That’s disgusting and you know it. And hey, that only happened once. And you deserved it, cheater.

The two were practically texting.

“What’s your favourite thing about Fei?” Suzy asks Jia one day while she’s responding to an email and Suzy is rolling on the floor with Damon. It was one of the dog’s favourite activities apparently. Jia told her many times that it was dirty but most days Jia would end up rolling around on the floor too. It made her miss Sunday. Except the cat didn’t really move around all that much, just sit on the window sill and judge the outside world.

Jia stops typing for a moment and smiles at the screen.

She’s asking about you. She’s asking what my favourite thing about you is.

If you tell her what you told Victoria I’m actually going to kill you.

“Well aside from the fact that her forehead measures a whopping 10 centimetres, I guess it’s the fact that I can be myself with her without worrying? She makes me feel whole somehow you know, it must be a best friend sort of thing.”

Suzy nods silently, her dog watching the two of them as Suzy looks at Jia while she goes back to typing away at the computer.

“Would you say you feel something like that with me?” she asks bravely, not holding her breath as she watches for Jia’s reaction.

Something Jia has definitely learned about Suzy was that she was the definition of bluntness and honesty. In fact, it was probably one of her favourite things about her.

Jia pauses and stops typing for a second to turn to Suzy. The other girl is giving her that look again. That look she gives her when Suzy insists on sleeping with her for a night, and that look she gives her when they wake up cuddling. That look Suzy gave her the first time they held hands in public. That look Suzy gives her when she wants a hug but she wants Jia to initiate it.

“It’s only been two weeks Suzy,” Jia responds with a soft, toothy smile. “We’ve gotten close, that’s for sure but…it’s different? I wouldn’t say we were best friends, but you’re a very special friend.” She gives the younger girl a wink before going back to her computer, wondering if there’s anything more that she’s willing to say, to confess.

Suzy nods, accepting that answer and she hugs Jia from behind, burying her face into the girl’s hair before going out for a walk with Damon. Jia tells Fei what happens and Fei says something that kind of gets under Jia’s skin.

She’s all you talk about, are you sure you’re not best friends already? Or ohh, I know. You like her, don’t you? Good, you can finally get over that penpal of yours. What was her name again? Hyuna right? It’s too bad she’s in Japan right now, I think it would have been good for both of you to see each other in person. Anyway, I won’t be able to respond until dinner time. My little cousins are coming over and you know how much attention they need from me. You have three weeks left right? Miss you!

She isn’t sure if it’s the unsettling memory of that time she was completely infatuated with her overseas friend, Hyuna, or if it’s the possibility of Fei being right, but all Jia could think about was the fact that she’d be going home, going away from Suzy sooner than she thought.

She shakes her head, it’s too early to think like this.

Three weeks is more than enough time.

Suzy comes home twenty minutes later and Jia’s on the couch listening to music while trying to take a nap. It doesn’t last long for Damon decides that she’s more important than an afternoon nap.

It didn’t take long for the small dog to get accustomed to Jia. She seemed to enjoy her attention and presence very much, especially since she was around Suzy all the time as well. After giving into her and slight pushes, Jia sits up and lets the dog sit on her lap.

“My parents called and said they’d be gone for the weekend,” the statement and sudden announcement alarms Jia and she’s surprised at how calm Suzy is about it. She nods and waits for the girl to continue.

“They apologize for the short notice but this tends to happen once a month. They have some business things to attend to with my auntie and uncle,” Suzy announces as she giggles and puts away her jacket. “Anyway, you know what that means right? That means you get to try the 5 star Korean cuisine that is made by yours truly!”

Every day Suzy’s mom would make a different Korean dish so that Jia could get an opportunity to try every single dish imaginable, homemade and definitely authentic. It was on the list Suzy made for Jia that hung inside her room. The food had a list of its own as well, hanging right next to Suzy’s To-Do list. They hung them up the first night after dinner and every day Suzy would try to get them to complete at least one thing on the list.

Jia wondered how many crayons Suzy had because each and every line on the list managed to be a different colour. She also wondered where Suzy’s sticker collection was because Jia wants to take a good look at it.

“You can cook?” Jia asks, intrigued and a little doubtful. She’s helped Suzy’s mom in the kitchen before with cutting vegetables or washing things but the most she’s seen Suzy do was cook the rice or peel onions.

“There’s one thing I’ve always wanted to cook for you since you came here,” Suzy declares, skipping along to the kitchen. “You wanted to take a nap right? I’ll make sure Damon leaves you alone and start cooking. I’ll wake you up when it’s done okay?”

Jia wakes up an hour later to a surprisingly delicious smell.

“So she wasn’t lying then?” Jia says to herself before yawning. Aw yes, that was definitely a refreshing nap. She gets up and makes her way to the kitchen, stretching on her way there. She doesn’t let Suzy see her however, because the girl has some sort of fascination with her stretching and more often than not, her stretches would become a show of flexibility, not matter how often she’s shown Suzy.

Suzy wants Jia to teach her how to limbo better. Jia refuses to tell Suzy that she’s actually one of the least flexible people she knows.

The second she steps through the doorway, it takes every ounce of energy within her to not laugh. Not that it helped. It wasn’t enough, apparently.

She bursts into laughter and holds her stomach at the sight of the kitchen and Suzy in an apron with power in her hair and what seems to be a cracked egg. The best part, Jia thinks, is the obvious instant ramyun wrappers littered on the floor.

“Oh you’re up?” Suzy asks, smiling at Jia when she sees her at the door. She’s ignoring the fact that the girl’s laughing at her. Of course, that doesn’t last long because Jia just won’t stop laughing.

“Yah! Do you want to eat or not?” Suzy pouts, turning off the stove and getting ready to serve her special meal.

Jia wipes away fake tears before making herself comfy at the table.

She decides to shut up for a moment and takes the time to enjoy the look of Suzy in an apron, serving her home cooked, Suzy special edition instant ramyun that apparently took her an hour.

Her chin is resting on her hand and she knows that she’s staring, but she’s never really cared about getting caught. It amazes her how even though the younger girl was in a messy bun with silly stains all over her body, she still manages to look breathtaking. And that excited smile she’s wearing while pouring a bowl of soup for Jia? Priceless.

Jia has told Fei this before, but the girl practically glows.

“You’re so pretty, Suzy,” Jia cooes as the girl continues to place side dishes and tea for her guest. It’s one of Jia’s favourite lines for it’s basic and speaks the truth. Suzy blushes every time, but she looks away when it happens, not wanting Jia to see it so obvious on her pale face.

“Thank you,” she responds before getting herself a bowl. “But you’re prettier.”

Jia laughs in response, a hardy, loud laugh that booms throughout the house. Suzy’s never heard Jia laugh so much, so freely while they were inside her house. She’s even more thankful now that her parents are out of town.

Although it’s straight from the package except for a few extra ingredients here and there, Jia finds it easy to inhale all of Suzy’s food. It tastes like perfection to her, especially since Suzy’s face would light up every time she asked her for another portion.

The two finish the night with a joint effort to clean up the kitchen. Suzy refuses to retell the story of how three eggs got into her hair and Jia picks out the shells and even offers to wash her hair for her.

Suzy rejects the offer shyly, but thanks the girl and goes to wash herself when they’re done with the kitchen.

That night, Suzy doesn’t ask before getting into bed with Jia and just casually wraps an arm around her waist.

“You smell good,” Jia says as she Suzy’s freshly washed and dried hair. It’s still warm to the touch and Jia wonders if her hair’s endless suddenly, or if she’s just sleepy. It’s a habit of hers to touch Suzy’s hair for it was probably the softest hair to ever exist on the planet. After Damon of course, Suzy even presented evidence.

Suzy just buries her face into Jia’s neck and sniffs her too, rather loudly. Jia shivers and hopes that Suzy can’t feel the goose bumps developing on her arms.

“You also smell good, kind of like Damon,” Suzy responds, giggling at Jia’s horrified expression.

“Is that a good thing?” she asks, narrowing her eyes at the younger girl. “I mean she’s the one that keeps jumping on me so it’s not like I can help it.”

Suzy just shakes her head, her nose and hair tickling Jia’s senses as it rubs against her skin.

“I like it,” Suzy responds a little quietly. Jia figures it’s time to go to bed.

She leans over and turns off the lamp, leaving the two in complete darkness. They don’t shift too much, for Damon is sleeping at the foot of the bed with them. Suzy just pulls Jia closer to her and the older girl leans down to plant a kiss on her forehead.

“Night, Suzy.”

The kiss startles Suzy and she wonders how she managed to not squeal when Jia’s lips make contact with her skin. And she thanks the darkness for its cover when Jia pulls her closer, so close that she can feel her breath against her ear.

“Night, Jia,” Suzy finally responds, resisting the pressing urge to tell the girl three simple words. She smiles however, pleased with the warm sensation pooling at the area where Jia kissed her, before closing her eyes and falling into a blissful sleep.