Chapter Two.

The Queen of Hearts

“Who the hell are you guys?” Kris questioned.  Luhan rolled his eyes as if it wasn’t horrible enough he somehow dragged ‘Charlie’s Angels’ back into China.

“They’re girls, Dragon,” Chen answered like it was the most obvious thing in the entire universe, “You know, girls. You should know, Sarang just happens to be one.” Chen pointed out and all Luhan wanted to do right now was punch his friend in the face.

“I’m not stupid Chen, I know they’re girls. I meant, who the hell do they think they are to walk into here like they own the place.”

“Will you relax,” Lizzy chimed in, “We’re only here because Nana unnie threaten to beat Luhan oppa up, chain him and hang him by his toes off our balcony.” She revealed throwing Luhan a knowing look. “He asked her to find Haneul unnie.” Lizzy added as a side note all of them were aware of.

“Doesn’t answer my question.” Kris pointed out. Lizzy shrugged walking away to find Lay and his computer bat cave.

“Wu Yifan,” Raina called out stepping closer to Kris, “One week, max, and we’re gone.” She tried imposing.

“That’s what you said last time.” He reminded.

“Certain circumstances came up last time.” She argued.

“Don’t they always?” Kris added.

“What’s going on?” A confused and curious voice asked as she stepped into the room.

Kris turned around to face her and gave her a warning look. She seemed to have understand, which meant his warning meant nothing to her. Sarang had a way of ignoring his warnings. In fact, she seemed to do the exact opposite.

Ever since the whole arranged marriage ordeal between Lee Sarang, heiress to Lee Corporations, and Kris Wu, heir to Wu Corporations, otherwise known as the Dragon, in the Underground, things had been bumpy.

First they hated each other, always disagreeing and arguing, then Sarang found out who Kris was, that he was the reason why her parents were dead. After a series of ed up, messed up, and outrageous events, they were here, together, in China. 

“Hi, I’m Sarang. Lee Sarang.” She added dryly to the two new faces.

“Ah, the crazy woman who has the Dragon completely begging on his knees. It’s finally nice to meet you.” Raina replied cheerfully, her response earned an annoyed growl from Kris.

“….and you are?” Sarang questioned stepping closer to the dark-haired woman. Sarang had learned many things since she’s been with EXO for the previous half year, and one of those things was that EXO didn’t have many friends. Kris especially because he was so paranoid that everyone was going to stab him in the back. The woman standing in front of her, and the one behind her seemed familiarized with them though.

“I’m Raina.”

“Hatcher.” Sarang mumbled hearing the familiar name. Raina had her code name, just as Kris had his.

She was the Hatcher, known for her precise and smart plans for breaking and entering. The Hacker was, well a hacker, one of the best in the entire world, and wanted by several agencies from all over the world, they either wanted to eliminate her, or get her to work with them. Lastly was the Hunter, some say she could find anyone in the world.

“So that means you’re…Hacker-“

“Hunter. Lizzy disappeared, probably looking for Lay.” Nana responded meekly still pissed off with Luhan’s request.

“…And why are you guys here?” Sarang asked because she seemed to be the only one out of the bubble.

The amused grin on Chen’s face was unmistakable which told Sarang that this was going to be a long, long, difficult challenge.

“Luhan asked Nana to find The Queen of Hearts.” Something in Sarang’s head clicked when Chen said those worlds. She slowly turned towards Luhan and his doe-like eyes told her everything she needed to know, and all so much more.

“Luhan, what are you doing?” Haneul called out. He looked her in the eyes and maybe that was when she was able to read every thought and every emotion he was thinking and feeling.

“I’m not coming.” He mumbled gently into her ear and she felt her legs turn into butter and her heart stopped beating for a second.

“What?” She asked astonished by his statement. He wasn’t serious, he couldn’t be serious. Haneul felt the ground underneath her feet collapse, she felt the air disappear from her lungs, and the blood drain from her face.

“Listen to me okay…you are going to get on that plane. I don’t care where you go, as long as you go, and as long as you disappear. Do you understand?”

“You were never planning on coming with me were you.” It wasn’t a question, it was a statement.

All that talk about swimming in the Hawaiian Islands, exploring New York City, sunsets in Ireland, walking the streets of Moscow, falling in love in Paris, were all deceiving lies used to get her here.

“If you stay here, they will have your pretty, pretty head, don’t you understand.” He reminded, angry that she was upset. Couldn’t Haneul see that he was trying to protect her? Couldn’t she see that he was letting her go so she could live?

“Wherever in the world I go, I’m dead.” She said figuratively. “But you don’t care, because you were just doing your job, weren’t you?” She raised and when he refused to answer she understood. 

Luhan cleared his voice before he spoke, “One day, maybe not today or tomorrow, but one day, you will regret staying with me.” He stated and his words cut into her skin, twisting her insides apart. This was what every girl hated to hear, this was what every smart girl ran away from. The evitable speech that appeared every time a guy stood in front of her and decided to break her heart even without intending to.

So she did what every smart girl would do, she did what every girl had to do despite wanting to just break out into tears, because this wasn’t a damn corny Hollywood movie and he wasn’t going to chase after her once she left.

“You expect me to get on that plane and find somewhere safe to hideout. You expect me to disappear, change my appearance and my name, all the while you stand here and hope I go and find another guy, fall in love with someone else, get married, have children and pretend that you never existed, that you never mattered. Fine, if that’s what you want, but don’t you dare come ringing on my doorbell one day. One day, maybe not today or tomorrow, but one day, you will regret letting me go.” She explained knowingly. When she finished talking she was out of breath. However that didn’t matter to her right now.

 She forced herself to turn around and walk towards that plane that awaited her. Silently to herself she praised herself because what she did would make any woman proud. She kept her head held high and she had the last word.

That praise quickly dimmed away as the unraveling emotions engulfed her in a series of faltering and painful emotions she tried to desperately to hide until she was in the sky, flying far, far from China, far, far from the Underground, far, far from EXOM, far, far from Luhan.

“You’re a liar. You didn’t mean when you said those things.” Haneul mumbled quietly to herself. That memory had been replaying in her mind for the last two years, and each time she wished she could had played it differently.

“Hey, you ready?” Jiwoo asked through her intercom. Haneul’s thoughts had drifted away for a quick moment there as she watched from a far distance as a plane flew away, getting smaller and smaller until it was no longer in sight.

“I’m ready.” She answered back to her husband, who she has to admit, was the perfect half for this little ed game of house, Haneul was bent on playing to distract her from what her real problem was, or rather who her real problem was.

“He’s at your four. Once you hit your target exit to the right door, there you will take the stairs down to the back alley and I’ll be waiting in an unmarked black SUV.” Jiwoo explained.

“Gotcha babe.” She replied positioning herself in her spot. She was hidden away and out of view, but she had perfect view of her target. She was sitting on top of a tall building overlooking the square below where a group of people had gathered together.

Haneul lowered herself as she tightened her finger against the trigger. Her target was a middle age American politician who had been giving away precious American secrets and weapons to terrorist groups.

He was currently in Hawaii for some benefit where he was to give a speech. Which he was, right now, to a crowd of 200 some people. Haneul however, was going to turn their bright sunny day into hell.

Three. Her finger tightened and she double checks the situation to make sure everything was in place. Two. She eyes her target, making sure no one was in the way.  Her main purpose, as always; aim for the heart. One. She presses the trigger, a loud echoing bam vibrates for a quick second and hell breaks loose.

Haneul reacted instantly once she saw the politician slump to the ground. As usual, she hit her target perfectly, in the heart. She was after all, The Queen of Hearts.

A satisfied smirk is on her face as she gathers her equipment and runs for the exit on her right, just as Jiwoo instructed. She skips a few steps as she races down the flight of stairs. She sees the exit up ahead and makes her break. Just as he said, an unmarked black SUV is awaiting her at the end of the street.

Haneul makes her way to it, throwing her equipment into the back before jumping into the passage side seat.

“Nice job.” He commented as he drove away from the scene. Behind them a crowd of people run in utter fright and panic as the racing sound of the police cars and ambulances are heard in the distance.

“I couldn’t have done it without your help.” She reminded and a satisfied smile appeared on Jiwoo’s face.

“We can collect our money this afternoon, until then, where do you want to go now?” He asked turning to face her. Haneul threw him one of her bright smiles, ones he thinks is worth all this hell. Ones where he thinks is worth waiting ever so patiently for her heart to shift. It was the kind of smile given to him from her, and that was enough, for now.

“The beach.” She replied happily, not even mentioning the fact that she had just killed someone. Guess after a while, innocence dims, and the killing becomes a regular routine.

“Of course.” He replied, wondering why he even asked. This was Hawaii after all, and Haneul loved her beaches with beautiful ocean views and sunny, clear blue skies. It was so easy to forget all the bad things when she was surrounded by such beauty.

----

 

 

For all those who don't know, Sarang is with Kris, she was his fiancee in Dragon's Mark, the story this spin-off is based from.