Chapter 02

Love and Soul

Chapter 02

The first stab of love is like a sunset, a blaze of color -- oranges, pearly pinks, vibrant purples...

- Anna Godbersen, The Luxe

 

Ahra found herself riding on her horse along the familiar path to the meadow. It was her most favorite part in the forest. It was hidden behind a small cave with a couple of moss and vines hanging in its entrance that at first glance people would normally overlook it. She first discovered it while she was trying to run away from her suitors.

During that day she was walking her favorite horse along the kingdom. She loved watching the bustling streets of the marketplace, the children playing in the town square, the men and women hustling through their everyday lives, and most of all she admired how her father, the king, led the kingdom and its people to a peaceful and prosperous life. The people all treated the royal family with respect as they were truly grateful for how the kingdom had come about.

As Ahra was so immersed in her thoughts she didn't hear the clop of hooves on pavement until a man on a horse suddenly appeared on her side. The man introduced himself as a prince of a faraway town, he had heard of her captivating beauty and apparently he came there to ask her hand for marriage. As soon as he stopped talking another man on a horse came into view and spoke similar words like the first man did. Ahra became so confused and overwhelmed that she hastily mounted her horse and rode away to the forest.

The two men didn't give up easily. They kept on following her while repeatedly shouting their declarations of love for her. Suddenly, Ahra could feel her horse running slower and its breathing became heavier. She knew she had already pushed her horse's limits. She dismounted her horse behind a steep slope which was covered with a thick set of vines. She leaned on the slope to get her bearings and to try to think of an escape plan. But instead of feeling rock, her hand went through the vines and she fell inside a cave. She looked up to see a small hole of sunlight at the end of the tunnel. With adrenaline still pumping through her veins, she took a risk and led her horse with her to the end of the tunnel.

Beyond, she saw a beautiful meadow. Trees and green grass swaying with the wind, and a small pond glistening not too far from where she was standing. Since that day, that meadow became her secret place. It became her escape. Whenever she wanted to think, to relax, or just to be alone, she would go there. No one but her knew about this place. She felt safe.

That day, Ahra wanted to be alone. She felt like a specimen under everyone's eyes. People kept watching her every move. She felt like she couldn't breath. She wanted to be a nobody for a few hours, and she knew exactly the place where she could go.

Luhan found Ahra on a hidden meadow in the forest. She was with her horse which was busy grazing on the field. Ahra had her back Luhan and her head faced down that Luhan who was still flying above couldn't properly see her face. He alighted behind a big tree and decided to hide there as he positioned himself to shoot. As if sensing him there, Ahra suddenly turned around and looked at the vast expanse of different trees and shrubs growing in the place. Luhan froze on his spot. He knew she didn't see him, judging by the way her eyes were still scanning the area.

Luhan finally had a good view of her face. He felt himself in a breath. He was in such awe. Never had he seen such beauty walk in this earth, and more so, a mortal! No wonder his mother felt so anxious and insecure about her. Her hair was long, straight, and black - the same color as a raven's. The girl's face was milky pale, with brown, almond-shaped eyes and pouty lips. Her face just exudes pureness, innocence, and kindheartedness.

When Ahra finally felt satisfied that there wasn't anyone else but her there, she turned to her horse and started petting it.

"Markus..." Ahra murmured to which the horse neighed in response.

"These guys don't really love me, do they?" she asked.

The horse, sensing his master's sorrow, nuzzled Ahra's cheek. She laughed wholeheartedly, but as she continued speaking her voice took a serious tone.

"I know, Markus," she sighed. "All they see and care about is how I look like. They don't even know the real me, and yet they speak of love they supposedly feel for me."

Ahra's eyes looked down as she heaved a sigh.

"They promise me money, jewelries, fine clothes, and other material possessions but I know they can't give me the one thing I want," Ahra finally looked up, and Luhan saw ache in her eyes. "Someone who will really love me for me."

Luhan was stunned by what Ahra just revealed. How can someone who looks so perfect feel so unloved? All she wanted was true love. How can love be so aloof with her? Luhan instantly felt foolish. He was the god of love. He was responsible for bringing love to everyone. And now here he was, tasked with making a woman who yearns for true love to fall in love with the vilest man on earth.

Luhan shifted into position as he held his bow with his left hand and extended it away from him. Carefully, Luhan reached over his shoulder to grab an arrow from the sheath that hang behind him. He nocked one of his golden arrows on the bow and quietly drew the string to his face. He started to aim for Ahra but suddenly he stopped.

He couldn't do it. Somehow he couldn't let go of the arrow. A nagging thought had been stuck in the back of his mind since the moment he left Mount Olympus. This was wrong! This wasn't Ahra's fault and she surely shouldn't be punished for something she had no control over. Luhan knew this would get him in so much trouble from his mother but he didn't care. He didn't have to do this. He had a choice, and he decided not to do it. He relaxed and slowly lowered his arms down. He took a step back then suddenly a sound of a twig breaking was heard. Because the meadow was so serene, the noise sounded so loud that Ahra immediately whipped her head to Luhan's direction. Luhan's immediate reflex made him step behind the tree, and flattened his back to it. He looked down, and what he saw made him widen his eyes. His hand was pricked by his arrow! There wasn't any wound as his arrows don't harm anyone but he was very certain he was pricked.

"Is anybody there?" Ahra suddenly shouted.

Luhan carefully peeked over to her. And then suddenly, he felt it. He stood straightly and leaned his back to the tree. He closed his eyes and looked up.

"Show yourself!" Ahra continued.

No. This wasn't supposed to happen to him. This was a mistake. This was so wrong.

"Hello?!" Ahra shouted again.

Luhan clutched his chest with his right hand. He quietly turned and glanced at Ahra again, careful so that Ahra won't see him. He felt his heart suddenly beat faster, his hands started sweating profusely, and was it just him or did time suddenly slow down?

Is this what people feel when I shoot them? Luhan thought. Is this love?