4

Stranded
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

 

A gasp escaped Aya’s mouth as she resurfaced from the water, catching her breath. She’d been underwater for a longer time than what she had expected, trying to make an excuse to be away from her husband who was technically not in a relationship with her. He was just a few paces away from her in the water and she couldn’t help but to resent herself for letting herself get in too deep with him. She was aware of the consequences, but she still allowed it anyway and now she felt stupid.

 

Pathetic, she thought.

 

Kris immediately came towards her, parting her hair which covered her face, clinging to her skin. He took her in his arms. “Are you okay?”

 

She swatted his hand off gently and fixed her hair herself. She was just too aware of him now. “I’m fine. I just never tried going this far off shore before.”

 

Her husband chuckled and took her by the hand. “Don’t worry. I’m here with you. I’ll stay close.” He continued to lead her farther until she could see the corals clearly. “See, you’re alright.” He smiled at her.

 

Aya kept her eyes on the reef below her. In truth, she was a skilled swimmer. Heck, she even had a certificate that allows her to go scuba diving whenever she wanted except that Kris didn’t even know anything about because she never dared to ask him on any of her trips with her friends.

 

She looked at him again and she realized his effort in protecting her. He makes her happy and she wished she could make him happy, too. Just then, she spotted a rounded stone on one of the coral complexes just a few meters down and was reminded of his story about the marble he so dearly wanted when he was five.

 

Aya took his distraction as an opportunity to get it and give it to him as a birthday present. She swam down, leaving him without a word. She was almost able to grab it, but then an unexpected current swept her away from it, making her lose her orientation. For a second, she panicked, not knowing which the way was to the surface. She swallowed a mouthful of salty water and was drifting farther.

 

Just then, Kris noticed that she was missing and saw her being carried by the current. He dove down deeper to where she was and grabbed her, helping her swim towards the surface while fighting the current as well. He was successful in doing that and helped her all the way to the shallower part of the shore.

 

He shook her slightly. “Are you okay?” He looked pale and scared, but maintained his ground until she nodded.

 

Aya coughed a bit. “Y-yeah. I was just not expecting that tide.” Heaving a deep breath, she straightened up.

 

Suddenly, Kris leaned his head against her shoulder, still hol

Please log in to read the full chapter