Chapter 38

Mr. Stalker

* Read this chapter while listening to Yiruma - Love Me *

 

KAYLA was drawing a nightscape of Seoul city when she heard a knock on her door.

        “Come in. The door isn’t locked.” She put down the brush and colour palette on the desk before her eyes caught a sight of her mother from behind the door.

        “Sorry for bothering you.” Mrs. Park sat on her bed and looked at the drawing she was working on. “It’s beautiful, dear.”

        “Thanks mom!” Kayla smiled and gave her a warm hug. “So, what’s bring you here?” She asked before reached for a fashion magazine on her study desk.

        “I just want to tell you that we’re going to Uncle David’s house tonight. He’s having a farewell party.” She her daughter’s hair gently and smiled.

        “So, I need to be home alone tonight?”

        Mrs. Park nodded. “I’m afraid yes. But, we’ll not be too late to come back home. So, you don’t have to worry much.”

        Kayla stared at her mother in disbelief. How could she stay in this big house alone? She will never make it.

        “If you’re afraid, you can call Haeri to come over.” Mrs. Park added.

        Then, Kayla’s eyes sparkled and she smiled widely. “That’s a great idea. I didn’t think about it just now.” She hugged her mother once again. “Thanks a lot!”

        “Okay, just take a good care of yourself, alright? And don’t forget to send my regards to that lovely Haeri.” Mrs. Park told Kayla before walked out from the room.

        “I will!”

 

         A few minutes after her father’s car left their house compound, Haeri came with her father.

        “Hye, Kayla!” She ran out from the car and got Kayla into her arms. “Neomu neomu bogoshipoyeo!

        “Yah!” Kayla pushed her away and stared in annoyed.

        “We just met 2 days ago. And, you have already missed me? Oh, please!”

        Haeri then pinched her best friend’s arm, and it left a small red mark. It became more visible as Kayla got milky white skin.

        “It hurts!” Kayla chased Haeri into the house when suddenly her phone rang.

        “Who’s that?” Haeri asked and threw herself onto the sofa in the living room. She then the TV and changed the channel to Inkigayo.

        “Palli! It’s Bangtan’s turn to perform!” Haeri got her eyes on the screen and immersed herself in watching that boy group performance.

        “Sshh! Be quiet!” Kayla picked up the call as Kai’s name appeared on the screen.

        “Hye oppa!” Her excited voice echoed in the living room. Kai hadn’t call her about 2 days and it made her missed him a lot.

        “Why you call me out of sudden? I thought you’re busy with your comeback rehearsal.”

        “Turn on the TV now.” Kai instructed and Kayla somehow noticed that he sounded anxious and restless.

        “It’s on now. Why oppa?” She asked in confusion. What is happening?

        “Watch the news.” Kai didn’t answer her question and he hung up the call out of sudden.

        It’s weird.

        Kayla didn’t take any time longer and reached out for the remote control before changed the channel.

        “Yah, I’m watching here!” Haeri shouted but Kayla didn’t give her any attention as she focused her eyes on the screen.

       

        “It had been reported that the passengers of the taxi were WOLF’s ex-leader, Kim Joon Myeon, or better known as Suho, along with his mother, Mrs. Kim Ahyeon, a doctor…”

       

        Is she dreaming right now? What the hell is the reporter talking about?

       

        “…They were in their way to the central hospital when the taxi lost its control before spun a few times and flipped upside down…”

 

        Kayla could feel her world spinning fast, and she ignored all Haeri’s questions about this and that.

 

        “…Before the victims could make their way out, the taxi suddenly burst into flame, and no one survived from the accident.”

 

        No one survived? Accident? There were too many words for her mind to process at that time. What is going on here?

        Then, she could feel a great headache and Haeri’s image in front of her became blurred. Kayla couldn’t take it anymore, and the last thing that she remembered was Haeri’s voice screaming out her name.

        “Kayla!!”

 

* *

 

        The next morning when Kayla opened her eyes, she wasn’t at home. All the things around her were white in colour and she could see a man was writing something in his report.

        “Where am I?” Kayla asked eventhough she knew what the answer was.

        “Don’t worry, Miss Kayla. You’re in hospital right now. I bet you still remember the thing that happened last night.” He smiled, but Kayla didn’t smile back to him.

        “I need to go now.” She tried to get up from the bed when suddenly she felt her head ached, as if it was going to blow up.

        “Ouch!”

        Then, the doctor helped her to lean back on the bed, before pulled up the blanket over her body until her chest level.

        “Don’t force yourself to move. Wait here for a while.”

        Then, few moments later, he came back with Kai followed at behind.

        “I’ll leave both of you here.” The doctor made his way out from the room and closed the door behind him.

        “Kayla, you’re awake!” Kai ran towards her bed and gave her the warmest hug that Kayla could ever feel. At the same moment, she cried and Kai was shocked because of that.

        “Hey, what’s wrong?” Kai still wrapped his arms around her, and patted Kayla gently on the back, as he tried to comfort that girl.

        “Kai, Suho oppa…” She couldn’t finish her words as she felt her heart was shattered into millions of pieces after she heard the news last night.

        “Kayla…”

        Kai himself didn’t know what to be said anymore. He knew she was taken aback with the news, including all four of them – he had locked himself in his room for hours, not even want to eat, Baekhyun cried non-stop, Chanyeol went speechless for few hours, and Kyungsoo didn’t manage to cook like usual. It was truly shocking-to-death news. Now, WOLF had lost their leader forever, as Suho will never come back to them again.

        “OPPA!”

        Kayla screamed her heart out and Kai tightened his hug, afraid if she will do something that can hurt herself.

          “Dear, please…”

        “NO! LET GO OF ME!” Kayla pushed Kai away and he was astonished with Kayla’s strength.

        “Kayla!” Kai stood up and tried to hold Kayla in place, but she tried hard to free herself.

        “I must go and meet him! I want to seek for his forgiveness! He can’t leave me yet!” Kayla finally managed to stand and walked weakly towards the door, ignoring Kai who was following her.

        “Kayla, for God sake, please get back on your bed.” Kai sighed, as he knew she wouldn’t listen to what he was saying.

        “Oppa, I’m sorry…” When Kayla stepped out from the door, her mother ran towards her with worried look on her face.

        “Kayla!” She managed to grab her daughter in time before she collapsed onto the floor.

        From afar, Kayla could see her father and Haeri walked fast towards them. Then, Kai walked out from the room and was surprised to see Kayla on the floor, being all-weak.

        “Why are you walking out? You’re not fully healed yet.” Mrs. Park caressed her hair and gave her forehead a kiss. “Kai, what had happened?”

        Kai let out a heavy sigh and went beside Mrs. Park. “She told me that she wanted to see Suho hyung. I had forbid her but she didn’t want to stay at her bed.”

        Kai paused for a second before continued. “And she wants to ask for forgiveness from him, too.”

        Moments later, Haeri let out a small cry and Mr. Park patted her shoulder.

        “Hey, don’t cry. You need to be strong in front of her.” He threw his look to Kayla who was laying in her mother’s embrace.

        “Mr. Park was right. Let the bygone be bygone.” Kai said. He smiled and tried to hide his sadness in front of Kayla who still crying.

        But the truth is, only God knows how hurt he was at that time, seeing Kayla in such condition because of Suho. Yes, he admitted that Suho’s death had been a great blow for him since they were very close together. Now, he felt like a part of his life had gone with Suho’s spirit. However, he couldn’t stay sad and mourn over his death like forever. He still got a long way to go with his life and that’s why he needed to overcome this sadness.

        “Kayla, let me take you back to the room.” Mrs. Park said and had drove Kai back to the current scene. He helped Mrs. Park and got Kayla in his arms, before brought her back into her room.

        “Oppa…”