a friend in need is a friend indeed

Swear it again: the end

Exactly 5 minutes later, Sungmin watched as a familiar face exited from the door behind the cashier area and walked towards him.

 

“Hi,” Sungmin started, rubbing his nape nervously.

 

“Hi,” his friend smiled at him. “It’s been a while, hasn’t it?

 

The two friends could only stand there smiling at each other. Yes, it’s been a long while.

 

3 years, to be exact.

 


Lee Hyukjae sat down at the table opposite Sungmin.

 

“Yah, you. Why didn’t you tell me that you’ll be returning back to Seoul?” Hyukjae demanded. “I’d have gone to pick you up, you know.”

 

“Aishh, you’re still as bossy, aren’t you?” Sungmin said, remembering their first confrontation in 4 years ago in school. Hyukjae laughed. “I didn’t tell you because it was meant to be a surprised, pabo-yah. It’s not like I’m staying here for long, anyway.”

 

Hyukjae gasped dramatically. “You’re not? How long are you back for?”

 

“Since when were you a drama queen, Hyuk-ah?” Sungmin laughed. “I don’t know, I haven’t decided. I bought a one-way ticket, actually. But I definitely have no plans to stay like, forever.”

 

“Then… does he know? Does he know that you’re back here?”

 

Sungmin shifted uneasily in his seat.

 

“No, kyu doesn’t know. And I have no plans to tell him, anyway.”  Hyukjae noted that Sungmin looked sad.

 

“Why not? You still like him, don’t you?” Hyukjae inquired.

 

“I-I do. It’s just that…it seems like his living life well now, I don’t want to interrupt it.”

 

“You’re being silly, you know that right?” Hyukjae looked at Sungmin and folded his arms bossily.

 

“No Hyuk, I don’t know if I’m being silly.” Sungmin sighed. “I told you, didn’t I? After that card that he sent last year, it just felt like things were different. Like things were falling apart. It was a breakup letter, Hyuk. He wanted his life back. And who am I to deny him that? I was the one who had left him behind, not the other way round. I have no right to hold him back, Hyuk. Not then, and certainly not right now.”

 

Hyuk shook his head and was silent for a while. Both of them sipped on their drink without speaking.

 

“Sungmin-ah, I’d never have thought that one day we’ll be sitting here chatting about life.” Hyukjae said, putting his finger to his chin thoughtfully. “You know, I actually talk to you more than I talk to Kyu.”

 

“Aigooo, are you being sentimental on me right now?” Sungmin teased. “it’s really funny, isn’t it. Come to think of it, you were the one who demanded that I stay away from Kyu yet look at where we right now. If you hadn’t added me on facebook 6 months after I left, we wouldn’t have became friends, hahahaha. Why’d you do that, anyway?”

 

“That?” Hyukjae scratched his head. “Oh, you mean add you on facebook?” Sungmin nodded. “I had no idea. I mean, we all graduated from our school and not long after you flew off. We never talked in class in the past, I never liked you but I definitely didn’t hate you. I guess when I saw kyu left you a comment, I thought that I should add you as a friend just to increase the number of friends I had online.” Hyukjae added sheepishly.

 

“So that’s it?” Sungmin tried his best to put on an offended look. “So you wanted to be my friend for your own selfish, vain reason? Aishh Hyukkie ah, seems like I’ve overestimated your value as a friend!”

 

“What?” Hyukjae said defensively. “Not like your reasons for starting a conversation with me any more noble! You only talked to me because I was the only Korean awake that day and you were bored out of your mind in the states!”

 

“Well…” Sungmin hesitated. “Technically that’s true. But everything turned out right didn’t it? Everything happened for a reason. If we had been friends since when we were in school, I’m not sure if we’d be as close as we are right now. Probably just hi-bye friends, I guess. But the fact that we never friends in the first place made us appreciate this friendship more!”

 

Hyukjae raised his eyebrow at Sungmin. “Whoa, you’re pretty deep huh. All these philosophical talk in the middle of the day, I’m not quite sure I can digest it, you know.”

 

Sungmin clicked his tongue impatiently. “Pfft, that’s because you’re a pabo!”

 

“Look who’s talking!”

 

And just like that, Hyukjae and Sungmin spent a good hour arguing back and forth, sharing their stories and things they didn’t get to tell each other online.

 

“Hyukjae ah,” Sungmin said as he took one last sip from his nearly empty cup. “I’m really thankful that you were there for me to talk to all these time while I was in the states. Chingu-ya, gomawa-yo.”

 

Hyukjae couldn’t help but smile. “Aishh, look who’s the one being sentimental right now! Don’t say stuff like this, it makes my hair stand on its ends!”

 

“Yah pabo, how can you treat other people’s sincerity like this!” Sungmin pouted. Hyukjae realized, for the first time, how cute Sungmin really was. It was no wonder Kyuhyun liked Sungmin so much back then.

 

Oh good lord, since when was Sungmin this cute?

 

“Fine, fine. I’m sorry; stop pouting won’t you! A grown man who just returned from the States pouting like a kid, I’m judging you, chingu-ya.”

 

“Hmph,” SUngmin folded his arm. “You can judge all you want Hyukkie-ah, this is Korea right where we are, guys are allowed to be cute, okay! You won’t be even if you tried!” Sungmin resumed pouting much to the chagrin of Hyukjae.

 

“Yah, you’re an idiot you know!” Sungmin stuck out his tongue at Hyukjae. “Anywhere, where are you staying now? We could hang out before you have to leave again.”

 

“That’d be cool, I never really had any friends after I moved to Seoul 4 years ago... except for well, Kyuhyun. But it’s quite impossible to hang out with him now, isn’t it?” Sungmin let out a nervous laugh. “and oh, I haven’t found a place to stay yet.”

 

“You haven’t?”

 

Sungmin shook his head. “I thought I’d come here to book a place but the cheaper options are all booked!”

 

“You’re really an idiot aren’t you, who the hell doesn’t book accommodation when before flying out?”

 

“Well I can always sleep on the streets. I’ve done that a couple of times before in the states when I did roadtrips with my friends.”

 

“I KNOW.” Hyukjae glared at Sungmin. “You told me about it, remember. And I always have to scold you for doing stupid things like that. What if you were robbed? What if you were kidnapped? Worse, what if you were and murdered!” Even though he was concerned, but Hyukjae’s dramatic hand gestures made Sungmin laugh.  “You’re an idiot, stop laughing.” Sungmin had to clutch his sides and take deep breaths to be able to stop laughing.

 

Hyukjae suddenly sat up from his seat with a raised his right index finger to his temple before adding dramatically, “Right! I have an idea!”

 

Sungmin looked at him suspiciously, “what?”

 

“My sister just left for an exchange program to Europe, her room is empty now, you can come and stay with me for the time being!” Hyukjae ended by applauding himself.

 

“Are you sure? Will your parents be alright with that idea?”

 

“Yes definitely! Look, I’m not boasting okay, but I have the best parents ever!”

 

“Hmmm,” Sungmin considered the proposition. “How about this, you call them and ask them for permission before I barge in unnecessarily. And I’ll pay the rent, okay?”

 

“Aissssh don’t be silly, my parents aren’t mercenary people, you know.”

 

“But I can’t take advantage of your parents’ hospitality if they agree to it.” Sungmin stubbornly stated.

 

“Fine,” Hyukjae raised his hands in surrender. “But no money talk, alright. You can make up for it in other ways. Let me go and call them.” Hyukjae walked away from the table with his phone. In no time at all, he was back again.

 

“My umma and appa agree to it!” Hyukjae said cheerfully.

 

“That’s fast, are you sure you called?” Sungmin eyed Hyukjae suspiciously.

 

“Yah, I told you my parents are the best in the world right? They readily agree to everything their good son suggests. Come on, you had a long flight, aren’t you tired already? Let’s go!” Without waiting for Sungmin’s response, Hyukjae grabbed Sungmin’s luggage and dragged it with him. “Yah, what did you put in here! It’s so heavy!” Hyukjae scowled.

 

Sungmin could only look at his friend in exasperation before laughing out. Ahh, how good it feels to be back in Korea. Back where he could speak Korean and everyone would understand him. Back where he had (one) friend who was willing to put him in his house without asking for anything in return. Most importantly, he was back to the place where Kyuhyun is, where he had left his heart. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, looks like this is going to be longer than planned. unexpectedly weaved in hyukkie too, looks like there'll be some hyukmin action~ comments and upvotes are highly appreciated, thank you!