Lemon Cookies

[a very long aka permanent HIATUS] Boys Meet Yui

 

The next morning, Yui was up early and went straight to the beach right after she finished doing her morning rituals. When she reached the beach, she was taken away by the beautiful sunrise before her. She immediately took her camera out and took a few shots of the wonderful scenery. Seeing that reminded her of the summers here on the beach where her parents would take her out for early morning walks.

 

“For once, I have to thank my no-good-mother for teaching me recipes…” Yui thought to herself as she sat on the shore, collecting her thoughts as she kept a straight face.

 

Her silence with the ocean was interrupted when she felt that she wasn’t alone anymore. Coming back to reality, she also noticed that she had been here for quite some time since the sun had already rose above her, shining brightly.

 

“Annyeong.”

 

Yui stand up as soon as she heard a voice and turns around. It was the guy from yesterday and he looked like he just got out from the ocean. He was carrying a surfboard and a bag pack while he wore a dry shirt over his wet bathing suit.

 

He continued to speak, having this serious facial expression on him, “I’m Choi Minho and Onew hyung told me about you. He said that you wait inside of the café and that it won’t be long ‘til he comes.”

 

“I understand. I’m Yoshioka Yui.” She held almost the same expression as him since she looked softer and petite.

 

“Follow me.”

 

Without any more words, Yui follower the tall guy to the café where he unlocked the door with the keys. He invited Yui inside first and then followed after her.

 

Minho places his board near the entrance and says to her, “Yoshioka-san, please make yourself comfortable ‘til he arrives. I’ll be changing upstairs.”

 

Yui simply nodded at him and then gazes as he made his way to the staircase. Walking to one of the couches, she hears someone go in the café.

 

“Ah, good morning, Yui-chan~” Taemin greeted happily, almost prancing to where she was.

 

“Good morning.” She greets back softly.

 

He pouts a bit, “We were supposed to take you here with us, but it seems that no one was at your house.”

 

“Mianhae, I just wanted to see the sunrise.” She explained to him, looking at him as if her eyes were smiling unlike her lips.

 

Entering the café, Onew greets with his endearing smile while he walked to Taemin’s side, “Ohayou, Yui-san. Are you ready?”

 

“Hai.” She replies with a nod.

 

“Great, follow me to the kitchen.” Onew nodded, leading the way.

 

Yui followed and the two of them left Taemin alone at the café.

 

“Jinjja…” Taemin sighs, sitting on one of the stools in front of the counter.

 

Not long did Minho go down in his casual wear, “Ya, Taem. Are they at the back already?” He asked his younger friend.

 

He slowly nods, sounding a bit sad, “Ne, hyung said not to disturb them… Hyung’s actually happy that someone wants to work here since he needs help in the kitchen and none of us really know baking and stuff.”

 

“That’s true…”

 

“And the applicants before are either your fangirls or ours, so hyung’s pretty relieved when he found out that Mrs. Yoshioka’s granddaughter’s applying to work here.”

 

Minho speaks again, sitting down beside Taemin, “Then he wouldn’t have hard time deciding since her granny already told you two that she can bake.”

 

“I guess, but Yui-chan said that she hasn’t baked for a long time and even asked hyung for help before starting here.” Taemin sighed quite heavily.

 

The two just spent the time silently, talking about stuff as they waited for the results.

 

 

Meanwhile, Onew showed the girl around the kitchen to where everything was and asked her to what she would make. Yui thought deeply, trying to remember recipes inside her mind. “C’mon, something easy…” She thought as her eyebrows narrowed together while she tried her best to recall.

 

“Okay, have you decided what to make, Yui-san?” Onew asks, turning to her with a calm look on.

 

After sometime, she responds meeting his gaze with her careful eyes, “Lemon Cookies… Is it too easy?”

 

He shook his head, “No, it’s fine. You can begin whenever, I’ll be right here if you need anything,”

 

Onew takes a seat at the side, watching her while he sat nearby. Yui takes a deep breath and places her bag on the table behind her. “Confidence, Yui, confidence.” She chants inside her head as she puts on her pink apron. She starts to do what she could remember, gathering up the needed ingredients and utensils. She went to the oven, turning it on to preheat it.

 

Keeping her calm composure, she continues with her task, pouring the cake mix into the bowl and then cracking two eggs in smoothly. She grabs the eggbeater and starts to stir after putting in the oil and lemon extract. After blending it well, she places the bowl on the table and gets teaspoonfuls of dough into a bowl of confectioners' sugar.

 

“You have talent, Yui-san. By just watching you, I could tell that you have been doing this for a long time.” Onew says amused, watching her roll the dough in the bowl until they’re lightly covered with sugar.

 

“K-Komawo, but I’m still trying to recall.” Yui replies in a slightly shy manner, stuttering a bit after hearing her future boss’ positive feedback.

 

“But still, the way your hands move…  You’re really something.” He comments again, watching her place the perfectly rolled dough on the ungreased cookie sheet placed on the tray.

 

She smiles to herself quietly, feeling relieved and pleased that she was able to impress him. Onew noticed her smiling before turning to the oven. Jonghyun was right, no doubt that she was really cute, but she was the same age as his dongsaeng. It would be awkward if he or any of them would like her since she’s the granddaughter of the friendly, old woman in their neighborhood, who is also one of their regular customers.

 

Disturbing his train of thought, Yui goes in front of him, “Onew-ssi, they will be ready for about six to nine minutes.” She said as he was now looking up at her with an indifferent look upon his face.

 

“Ah, all right. Let’s wait for a while, ne?”

 

“Ne.”

 

 

Exiting the kitchen, Onew presents Yui to his crew while she carries the tray with the cookies she just made.

 

“Everyone, I’m happy to present our new baker, Mr. Yoshioka Yui.” Onew says with a wide grin.

 

Jonghyun was already there with the other three, sitting on the stools in front of the counter, “Uwaa, you passed, ojou-san.”

 

The other blond guy went in front of her, having this cheeky smile at her, “Annyeong, I’m Kim Kibum but call me, Key oppa, okay?”

 

She just blinked at him twice, not smiling as he introduced himself to her, making Key raise his eyebrow at her.

 

“Ya, these guys told me you speak Korean?” He complained, glaring at the others.

 

Jonghyun chuckles, placing his arm around Key’s shoulders, “She can, you’ll just have to get used to ojou-san’s cold eyes, but she’s definitely kawaii when she smiles.”

 

Key nods, smiling at the quiet Yui again, “Ah, Yui-chan, I’m sure that you’ll feel right at home here. I can be your umma and Jjong will be your appa, ne?”

 

Not minding the commotion, Yui’s attention shifted when Taemin came in front of her, “These looks really good, can we try some?” He asked her with a sincere smile with Minho standing behind him.

 

“Sure, help yourselves.” She answers calmly.

 

After Taemin gets one, the other three grabs one as well. They all took a bite and gave amazed looks at the indifferent girl.

 

“So, how is it?” Onew asks his friends with a grin, since he had one already before they got out of the kitchen.

 

“My god, this is delicious~” Key exclaimed with satisfaction, munching on right after.

 

Minho simply says, giving a quick smile, “It’s really good.”

 

Jonghyun places his hand onto her shoulder, “Aigoo, ojou-san… Your future husband will be really lucky to have you.”

 

“My what?” She sighs out, placing the tray onto the counter’s vacant space.

 

“What he meant is that you’re really good, Yui-san.” Onew laughs a bit and then adds as he almost lost balance while leaning against the counter top, “So, I’ll see you tomorrow at one in the afternoon?”

 

“Ne. Thanks for accepting me, Onew-ssi.” Yui bows her head a bit, walking away from the five boys, “I’ll be leaving now.” She said, standing by the doorway.

 

Taemin waves his hand at her along with Jjong and Key, “Take care, I can’t wait to see you tomorrow~!”

 

She briefly waved her hand at them and then left the café. Yui walked to town, feeling dandy after being accepted at the café. She strolls along the streets in town, touring herself and taking more pictures.

 

 

It was already evening and SHINee Café was still full of people. Jonghyun went to Key who was standing by the counter.

 

“Key-ssi, do you think Onew will be all right working with a girl, I mean a girl with really good baking skills?” Jonghyun asked his friend, leaning to his ear.

 

“I’m sure he’ll be fine. It’s been five years ever since.” Key replied, shrugging.

 

“I hope you’re right. I don’t want to see him – “

 

Key interrupts him, shaking his head, “Ya, you better keep it down. Someone might hear.”

 

Jonghyun nods, walking away from him as he went back to waiting tables. Key folds his arms over his chest, sighing to himself, almost like a whisper, “He’s a smart guy, I’m sure he’ll be fine…”

 

 

~~

 

( ^u^ )

 

‘Sup, guise~ I hope you’re enjoying. Please let me know you thoughts about this through commenting and do upvote and subscribe.

 

I’ll update as soon as I can since I’m at school most of the time~ =w=