After Story

Unrequited Love

June, 15th 2012.

 

“Soo, you’re going to perform after this, right?” Hye Jung asked.

 

Myungsoo nodded. “Yes.”

 

“Good luck, Myung!”  

 

He smiled. He’s going to perform at his university. Yes, he’s the one who will replace Ji Hyun. He’s going to play it for her. For Ji Hyun.

 

“Now we’re going to have a special performance from Kim Myungsoo!” Announced the principal, earning a round of applause from the audience.  

 

Myungsoo took his seat on the piano bench. He took a deep breath and started playing. He’s practiced this enough times to memorize it but he’s listened to it so much that everything becomes too natural to be called “practiced”. A wave of nostalgia hit him and he let himself feel everything the song was trying to say. He ended the song and bowed when the sound of clapping rang throughout the hall. [clicktolisten]

 

The principal smiled and came up to him, congratulating him.

 

He gave him a mic, “Here. Is there anything you want to say?”

 

“Yes, please.” He took the mic. His eyes are searching for something; someone.

 

“The song that I just played called, ‘If I Could See You Again’. I really like this song. It always reminds me of my best friend. I miss her so much. I knew its going to be like this someday. I knew it was going to happen to me someday. Because in the end, all you really have is memories. I didn’t expect that she was going to go. I.. I didn’t realize that… She liked me. I was such a fool. B-but that’s not going to change anything. Since I already have the one I love, my wife.”

 

“Ji Hyun, are you watching me right now? If I could see you again, I.. I.. ” he sighs, “I don’t know. I just wish I could.”

 

He saw Mrs. Han and Mr. Han smiling at him and crying at the same time. They feel so grateful towards him. For bringing back a piece of Ji Hyun and for taking care of her while she was there. Just then, Myungsoo saw an empty seat beside Mrs. Han. Ji Hyun’s spot.

 

Then he whispered to himself. ‘If I could see you again, I will never let you go. I will love you the way you loved me. I wish I could.’