History Class

나의 달콤한 캔디 소년 (My Sweet Candy Boy)

 

 

Narrator’s point of view:

 

Time went by so quickly when you don’t want it to and before you knew it, lunch break was over.  You and Joomin headed to your history classroom which was not that far from the cafeteria.  You both took your time since you really didn’t want to go to that class at all and you really didn’t need to hurry.  The 5 minute break after every class is more than enough for you to make it before the bell rang.

 

“I really don’t want to go to this class but Ms. Ahn would kill us if we skip.” You told Joomin.

 

“I know.  Even if we don’t want to, we have to.  I just hope we get out of this class soon. I’d rather have Mr. Min, he’s more reasonable than Mr. Jang.” Joomin said with a sigh.

 

“I am determined to find a way to fix my schedule… Ugh here we are…” You frowned as you finally reached your classroom.

 

“Wow most of the faces here are new faces… I guess most of the people in our class last year luckily got into Mr. Min’s class.”

 

“I know.  Most of the people here were from Ms. Lee’s class or from Mr. Son’s class.” You said as you and Joomin took a seat at the very back of the classroom.

 

Before the bell rang, Mr. Jang came in with the brightest smile on his face and it turned even brighter when he spotted you and Joomin amongst your classmates.

 

“Hello and welcome to the honors section of history class.  I am delighted to see old and new faces alike. For those who are new I’m Mr. Jang; I will be your teacher for this course and I am looking forward to spending the rest of the school year learning about our history.” Mr. Jang started off.

 

You however zoned out to what he was saying as he rambled on about how this class is going to be so much fun and blah blah blah blah.   You continued to not pay attention until you heard that he was going to assign seats.  You groaned in annoyance and looked at Joomin who had the same pissed expression as yours.  You all stood up and lined up on the 4 sides of the classroom waiting for Mr. Jang to assign your seats.  He started filling in the back seats first and as you expected, he did not put you in the back row.  When he called your name out, he placed you in the 2nd row by the window next to Chaeyoung one of your friends.  Joomin, unfortunately was on the other side of the room and she did not like it at all that Mr. Jang had made sure you weren’t together.  You sighed and just stared outside of the window when Mr. Jang suddenly approached you with a smile.

 

“_____-ssi!  What a surprise to see you here! I thought you were going to the advanced college class.  I’m glad you didn’t.”

 

“Oh, there seemed to be a problem with my schedule.  I had classes conflicting with the course but I’m trying to see if I could fix it.  I finished all the summer homework and I don’t want to let all my hard work go to waste.” You answered politely with a forced smile.

 

“Ah, I see. Well, I don’t want you to go since you are one of my best students… I have a lot of fun ideas for projects for this class... I hope you decide to stay.” Mr. Jang said with a smile although you can tell that he wasn’t pleased with how you were determined to get out of his class.

 

“But Mr. Jang, I’ve worked so hard to get into that class and I think I should move up to another level of difficulty in this course and challenge myself… Don’t you think so too?” You answered politely but with a slight smirk.

 

Mr. Jang was left speechless but then he came up with an idea that you wouldn’t like.  Well, as soon as he announced it you were sure that everyone in the class wouldn’t like it.

 

“Tell you what, if you get a perfect score on my quiz a week from now, I will allow you to transfer to the advanced college course class.” He told you and started the lecture.

 

You looked at Joomin who was glaring at him while he wrote stuff on the board with his messy handwriting.  You sighed and smirked at the thought of being challenged.

 

When history class was over, you immediately packed your things so you and Joomin could hurry to get to your next class together.  When you finished packing you turned around and bumped into someone.  You looked up at him before bowing and apologizing.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry!  I didn’t know you were right behind me…  Are you okay?” You asked him

 

“Uh, yeah I am no worries.  Are you okay?” He smiled at you.

 

“I’m okay.  I’m sorry again though…” You bowed again and left.

 

You headed to Joomin and the two of you made your way up the stairs for your next class which was dance.

 

“You know the guy who you bumped into a while back?” Joomin suddenly asked you.

 

“Uh… No, not really.  Isn’t his name Kevin Kim though?  I heard Mr. Jang call him that when he was assigning seats.  Do you know him?” You looked at Joomin with curiosity.

 

“I don’t really know him personally but he was in my Chinese class last year.  He came really late but he does well in Chinese so the teacher is fond of him.  I heard he studied in Australia.”

 

“Wow, really?  That’s cool.  He seems like a nice guy… I noticed he’s bit quiet though.”

 

“Yeah he is since he’s kinda new.  He has a few friends though, Jaedong is one of them.”

 

“I know… I saw them talking before Mr. Jang entered the classroom.” You said as you and Joomin made your way up to the locker rooms to change.

 

School ended quickly and you decided to go home and see what you could do about your schedule.  While browsing your school calendar, you noticed something and you smiled because it was the answer to all your problems.

 

“Why, of course!  Why haven’t I thought of this before?” You smiled happily and hugged your calendar.