The Angelic Voice

I Hear Your Voice

Sitting at his desk at 1 AM in the morning, still studying, has become a part of Kim Minseok’s life since he entered college. Of course he wanted to be asleep at this time of the day, but he couldn’t if he wanted to stay in top of his class. The only thing preventing him from falling asleep over his desk was the angelic voice booming from the radio and filling the room. The radio wasn’t exactly booming though; he had to keep in mind that his neighbour was probably in a deep sleep by now, so he wouldn’t want to wake him up. The radio was on its lowest while Minseok did his studying. He didn’t really care about the music they played, he just wanted to listen to the DJ’s voice; that was the only good thing about these late night study sessions.

 

One evening that was slowly turning into early morning he’d come across the radio station. What had first caught him was the unexpectedly good song they played. A song called ‘White Sky’ by the band Vampire Weekend. The funky yet light melody soothed his ears after an entire day with his nose buried in books. His foot had nodded along with the beat and he’d found himself a little disappointed when the song ended. His ears perked up when the DJ began speaking though. He said the name and the band of the song they’d just played and that was when Minseok first felt his heart beginning to fall, but it wasn’t much it fell; more like it tripped. When the DJ continued on talking about everything and nothing, Minseok found himself not being able to concentrate on his studying anymore. He just stared at the small object that provided him sweet tunes and an angelic voice. He had never heard of the station he’d just found, but after some little Internet searching he’d found out that it was a college radio station. They had a night program running from Monday to Thursday for all the students that were still awake studying for a test or the students that were just having fun with some of their friends. Sometimes they played their listeners’ wishes, but Minseok was too afraid to send a message to the DJ, who he knew as ‘DJ-Han’. Thoughts like ‘what if he doesn’t like my music wish?’ and ‘will he judge me out from my music wish?’ flooded Minseok’s brain and just made him more sure about the fact that he would never send the DJ a message. He would absolutely never even consider it.

 

But Minseok being Minseok considered it. He was considering sending a message with his music wish. He considered the pros and cons. There were definitely more pros than cons. So when he found himself with his cell phone in his shaking hands, message already typed, he had scared himself. Was he really going to press the send button? Was he brave enough to do that? Everyone who knew Kim Minseok would know that if he pressed the send button – sending the text to a total stranger, whom he might had a small crush on – would take a lot of courage from him. It was almost like jumping of a cliff for him. He was so shy that he even found it difficult to talk with the cashier in the nearby grocery store. The only place he didn’t really felt shy was in the classroom and when he was with his friends.

In the end he shut his eyes tightly closed and pressed the send button. His hands were sweating and his forehead was slightly damp. His heart was pounding in an unsteady rhythm, making him afraid that it might jump right out of his chest.

He tried to drown the anxiousness and nervousness by studying some more, but his chest began pounding and his palms became sweaty again when the DJ began reading out a message he knew a little too well.

“One of our listeners named Minseok sent this sweet message. Let me read it out loud for you.” The DJ cleared his throat. “’Hi DJ-Han. I listen to your program every night while studying and I must say you brighten up the entire evening with all the great music you play. I hope my music wish will cheer some other hard working students up. I would love to hear ‘New Slang’ by The Shins. Thank you!’” He let out a short chuckle. “Thank you for all your kind words Minseok. What a great music taste you have. Your wish has just come true! The next number is ‘New Slang’ by The Shins. Please enjoy.”

And Minseok could swear to God that he just felt his heart swell to double the size. His heart was beating so uncontrollably fast that he could feel his entire ribcage beating with it. He could hear the blood rushing in his ears and his hands were shaking as he grabbed his phone to write to the radio station once again. Before he knew it, he’d already sent the text message that only contained two short, but sincere, words and then he just stared off into nothing. Had he really just done what he’d done? Was this reality? Had he really just been noticed by his crush?

He got up from his chair and swirled around until he fell down onto his bed, feeling a little lightheaded while listening to the sweet tunes The Shins provided.

 

The day after he’d sent the message to the DJ, he had been approached by one of his close friends.

He eyed Minseok in a strange way and then closed his eyes as he massaged the bridge of his nose.

“Why are your cheeks all red? Did you eat a chilli that was too strong again?” Minseok’s friend –Joonmyun – asked. He would never forget the chilli-incident. No one would ever forget the chilli-incident.

Minseok shook his head violently. “I sent him a message. I sent the DJ a message yesterday.”

They began walking to their next class. Joonmyun placed an arm around Minseok’s shoulder as the other babbled about this DJ as if he was some teenage girl in love for the first time in her life.

When Joonmyun heard a familiar name he stopped the both of them.

“DJ-Han? As in the DJ on the college radio?”

Minseok nodded enthusiastically and opened his mouth again. “Do you know him?”

“If I know him?” Joonmyun almost had to laugh. Well, he actually did laugh, but only for a second or two. “Of course I know him! He’s one of my friends. If you want to you can meet him.”

Meet him? Minseok had never though about that. Meeting him in person would probably be the strangest and most awkward thing he would ever experience. He didn’t know how he would react when he met him. What if he would act all immature and make the DJ look down on him? He wouldn’t want that. But what if he acted a little bit too friendly? He wouldn’t want to seem like that either. But at the same time he felt really tempted to say yes to Joonmyun.

 

Saying yes to Joonmyun was probably one of the best decisions Minseok had ever made. He found the angelic voice accompanied by a just as angelic looking face. And DJ-Han, now better known as Luhan, had become one of Minseok’s best friends, one of his closest friends; his boyfriend.

Minseok couldn’t even imagine how his life would have been without meeting Luhan. Instead of studying in the weekends, he’s now out partying or just relaxing with Luhan, but from Monday to Thursday he still listens to the angelic voice booming through the speakers of the radio with a small smile on his lips. He wouldn’t replace this time for anything in the world.

 


A/N: I hope you enjoyed this short one shot~ ^0^