Prologue

My Stupid Step Brother
 - Prologue - 

 

Before my mum had gotten married, my life was perfect.

Okay, maybe not perfect, but it had been better! I was finally president of the math club and that cute boy in science class – Jonghyun, was it – was finally going to take me out. Mum and I had already made plans to forever become cat ladies, never to get married and be bound down to, as well!

And then, she met Mr. Wu… er, I mean dad.

When they initially started going out, I was pretty chill about it. My mum never really had much luck with relationships and I expected the relationship, as well as Mr. Wu, to blow away in a couple of months. Boy was I wrong.

Nine months exact, on October 15, Mr. Wu proposed to my mum. She was overjoyed and accepted immediately. They were to get married in two months time, on December 15.

 

I only met Yifan the day of the wedding. Mr. Wu was always over our house when I got home from school and whenever my mum and him weren’t face, they were telling me all about my soon-to-be stepbrother. I’d always smiled politely and pretended to be impressed but in reality, I just expected some bratty sophomore boy who’d probably bug me all night and day.

Boy was I wrong… once again.

The first time I’d laid eyes on the sohphomore boy, my jaw dropped.

“That’s him?” I hissed to my mother who was busy taking wedding pictures.

She smiled upon seeing him and nodded. “That’s Yifan, you’re new brother.”

This so called Yifan was nothing like who I’d imagined. He was mature looking and not to mention strikingly handsome. His body was tall and lean, oh so tall! I slapped myself a couple of times. I couldn’t be daydreaming about my future stepbrother!

“N-Nice to meet you.” I stuttered as he walked towards me.

Not a muscle on his good looking face moved. “I wish I could say the same.”

I blinked once then twice. “What did you just say?”

 “I said I would’ve been fine not meeting you. Are you deaf?”

My nostrils flared and I looked around, totally stumped. Did no one hear how this brat was talking to me? Sure enough, Mr. Wu and mum were clueless and far too busy snapping shots.

“Wah, you really are?” He leaned in, a humorous glint in his eyes.  

My eyes widened. “Yah! I can hear perfectly fine, you jerk! Do you not know how to respect your elders?!”

Yifan laughed mockingly. “Sorry, I didn’t know you were older. Aren’t you a bit… short?”

I bit my lip and scowled. “Man,” I mumbled under my breath and turned away, wanting to spark a new conversation with someone, anyone else! My stepbrother had other plans though. As soon as I’d turned around, I turned back. He had grabbed my wrist and flipped me around.

“Yah-“

“Cursing in front of a younger isn’t respectful, dear stepsister.”

His attractive face was so close to mine, my own growing red. “S-Shut up, stupid stepbrother.”

Yifan laughed. “You seem nervous.”

“I-I’m not!” I cursed myself for stammering but it was so damn hard to stay calm. Especially with his hand on my wrist and his breath on my face.

The jerk opened his mouth, probably to spout more nonsense but he was cut off.

“Yifan, Minji, it’s your turns!” Mr. Wu called. Yifan pulled away immediately and I straightened myself out as well.

My mum smiled and me and came over to slightly fix my hair. “You look wonderful, sweetie.”

I smiled back, my eyes slightly b with tears. “Congratulations, mum.”

She sniffled as well. “Oh, Minji. Thank you.”

Mum pecked my forehead before gently pushing me towards the cameras. It was turn for the sibling photos.

Yifan and I awkwardly stood in front of the green screen.

“Come closer to each other”, the camera ajhussi scolded. I flinched and obeyed as did Yifan.

“Put your arm around her waist,” the ajhussi commanded to Yifan. I could sense him cursing and I smirked.

“Why, you’re shy?” I teased.

An evil glint came into his eyes and he shook his head. Not a moment later his arm was around wrapped around my slim middle. The ajhussi smiled and snapped a picture. I expected for Yifan to remove his hand but to my surprise, he suddenly pinched my side.

My eyes widened and a squeak left my mouth.

The camera crew looked up at me skeptically as my cheeks grew warm.

“Anything the problem, Miss?”

I glared at Yifan and opened my mouth but he cut me off. “Oh nothing. She wants to redo that one.”

They all frowned but nodded and soon, they all lined up in front of us again. I inwardly cussed at my new stepbrother.

Once again, the picture was taken and his hand – this time harshly – squeezed the fat in my side. I felt myself jerk and shriek once again.

“Minji!” My mum scolded from the sides.

Yifan smirked satisfied and walked away. I was left alone, blushing like a clown.

 

 

Soon, the wedding as well as the reception came to an end. I myself was exhausted with all the preparations and greetings from family. Mum and Mr. Wu had said goodbyes to all the guests and finally, us four flopped down on the chairs of the empty banquet hall.

“I’m so tired,” I whined and closed my eyes.

I heard a deep laugh and opened my eyes to see Yifan chuckling at me. “What?”

“It’s not as if you even did anything and you’re tired? The staff should be the ones tired.”

I pouted and looked away.

Mum clasped her hands together. “C’mon kids, let’s go home.”

I grinned and jumped up. “Yes! Let’s go mum, let’s go!”

She nodded. Yifan and his dad followed us out. Once out, I expected mum to turn where our car was but instead, she turned to Mr. Wu and his huge escalade.

“Why are we going here? Our car’s over there.” I frowned.

“We’ll go pick your mom’s car up tomorrow, Minji. Let’s get home today. It’s late.” Mr. Wu smiled and open the back door.

“You’ll drop us home? Wouldn’t that trouble you?”

Mum looked at me and bit her lip. “We’re not going home, Minji. We live with Yifan and LingXaoi now.”

My eyes widened. That concept had never even come to my mind! All this time, I expected to return back to my warm cozy apartment when in reality, that wasn’t even my home anymore.

Mum and Mr. Wu had gotten into the car by the time I came out from my thoughts.

“You coming in, big sis?” Yifan smirked.

I bit my lip and begrudgingly got into the seat beside of him. “I hate you, Wu Yifan.” I hissed.

Yifan laughed softly. “The feeling’s mutual, Lee Minji.” 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

That’s the first chapter. Thanks so much to my eleven subbies! Please support me throughout this fic :D