Kalbi

A Million Anti Fans

Hello again! Sorry as always for keeping you guys waiting ;; I hope you enjoy this chapter! ^^ ♥

 

Episode 7  –  7화 - Kalbi

“Saengil Chukha…”

I stared; wide-eyed.

“…hamnida…”

Jun Oppa was walking towards me, a wide smile spread on his lips- a tray balanced in his hands.

“Saengil Chukha…”

On top, sat the most beautiful cream and fruit cake….

With candles.

“…hamnida…”

I stood up by instinct as he made his way slowly towards me. Wonderstruck and speechless, I could do nothing but stand there and listen to the soothing voice that lullabied such a well-known melody in ways I never knew were possible… all under the soft and low trickle of broken chords hummed by a guitar.

I couldn’t stop smiling-

“Saranghaneun…”

Yong Hwa.

Stepping out from Jun Oppa’s shadow, he stood in front of me, a brighter version of his usual toothy grin plastered to his face along with tinted cheeks that mirrored mine.

My hands felt numb; eyes not leaving his for a single second.

“Shin Hye ya….”

I could only reciprocate his smile, the palms of my hands coming to the rescue of my sensitive cheeks.

“Saengil Chukha…. hamnida….!”

Just when I was about to bring my hands together to clap, it seemed like they had clapped on their own. There were whistles and shouts, and that’s when I remembered we were in public. I was just serenaded to in public. And all eyes were on us.

My cheeks cringed some more as I beamed at an anxious-looking Yong Hwa, midway in joining the applause that accumulated from customers on other tables, passerbys and their children, staff of the aquarium and part of the production crew when he muted the strings that vibrated the last notes- he hit the guitar.

It was a gentle hit, with the ball of his fists to the wooden body which changed the timbre of it to the sound of a drum.

Encore?

***

1,

2,

3,

4,

With a rapid sequence of notes, plucked skilfully, Yong Hwa swiftly switched into a rift of chords strummed firmly and confidently, boosting the tempo and rhythm, emitting a bright and cheery atmosphere into the hollow hall.

“Saengil Chukha- hamnida!”

“Saengil Chukha-  hamnida!”

Echoing around the space, like they were standing in a speaker itself, Yong Hwa’s natural charisma spilled out at its fullest, leading his audience to clap him a beat and his receiver sway from side to side.

“Saranghaenuen- Shin Hye yah…” – he splays a trill, eyes set on hers.

“Saengil Chukhahamnida~~!”

Mute.

 


[Black Room Interviews]

Shin Hye: (Shaking her head) Aniyo, he completely took me by surprise!

Shin Hye: (Says later) Fans say he’s really attractive when he’s acting, but, for me, I think… that he oozes so much more charm when he sings? (She nods)

[Q: Did you like it?]

Shin Hye: (Says quickly before laughing shyly) Ne.


 

I stood there, just clapping and clapping with this huge smile on my face. I was probably as red as a tomato but I didn’t care-

These past few weeks, my mind was filled with university, filming and auditions- the fact that I was born in February must have been pushed out altogether to make room for it all. I watched Yong as he lifted the guitar strap over his head and bowed his thanks to the people who stopped to listen and clap along. I started doing the same.

During this time, Jun Oppa disappeared again. Swiftly taking advantage of the distractions to slip behind the camera’s-view, he gave me a thumbs-up. I noticed Writer Kim directing me towards the cake and miming a blowing movement with her lips. And Writer Dae, who stood behind her, eye-smiling at me mouthing “wish”.

I moved towards the cake feeling all giddy as Yong Hwa stood next to me watching, “I’m making a wish!”

Clasping my hands together and resting my chin on it, I closed my eyes.

Admittedly, I spent the first minute wondering what on earth to wish for- I was content with what I already had… But for the sake of making a wish,

I made my wishes.

.

.

.

POP!!

The second I opened my eyes, I had confetti all over me in the form of metallic strips, there was another round of applause and Yong Hwa just stood there with the cheekiest of grins.

In retaliation, I took some of the strips and put it all over his head and then laughed realising how silly we looked and he just had to strike a pose with the added lengths.

I then blew out the candles- or at least I tried.

When one went out, the other resurrected again. Yong Hwa almost stepped in to help me when I finally KO-ed them; pleased with my mini victory.

Looking down, I saw two knifes. Confused, I took one of them and Yong Hwa took the other one. Oh, I see…!

“Need help?” He asks, sidling to the opposite side of the table.

“Okay!” 

“Should we cut from the middle?”

“Sure!” Leaning forwards, the tips of our blades touching and sinking into the creamy white surface, I gave out a laugh, “It’s like we’re cutting a wedding cake or something!”

He beamed at me, “3… 2…”-I joined in, grip tightening, knife at the ready-“1!”

Carefully, we split the cake down the middle with as much grace as we could, guiltily trailing over pieces of fruit that were in our paths. I looked over and couldn’t help myself, “Yah, Yong Hwa! You made it go wonky!!”

His face closed into shy embarrassment before he quickly picked up one of the unfortunate strawberries and stuffed it in my direction- not that I minded. I love strawberries!

Before long, we had managed to disperse the cake, Yong Hwa cutting, me serving. The production crew were only too happy to have a bit of brunch, and we even managed to hand out a few pieces to our fellow diners. I had just happily finished my piece when I noticed Yong was sprawled out across the table.

I poked him with the end of my spoon, “Waegure?”

He shifted himself but made no move to look up at me, rubbing his forehead against the surface, seemingly wanting to burrow into the table and hide there for the rest of the winter if he could. He let out a groan.

“Wae~?” Putting the paper plate aside, I mirrored him, leaning against the table using my arm as a cushion. I poked him again when he didn’t respond to verbal inquisition.

His face made an appearance, dazed and tinted before he cringed, “So embarrassing I could die…”

I chuckled, the aftermath was only hitting now, huh? Pabo… you were the one who came up with this… right?

“What did you wish for?” He asked, making himself more comfortable.

“Mmmm…”

“’Mmmm?’”

“…I can’t say it though, can I? It won’t come true otherwise!”

“Oh… yeah,” We laughed before Yong said, “Well, if it’s anything I can help with…”-He fiddles-“I’ll do my best to make them come true.”

“…Thank you.”

 


[Black Room Interviews]

[Q: What did you wish for?]

Shin Hye: (Leaning forwards in her seat as though whispering to the camerawoman) Is it okay to say it here…? (She sits back with a laugh after a second) Okay, but don’t laugh!

(She looks away thoughtfully) It was just… small things… like… for all my friends and family, and the people who support me, to live happily and healthily… for a successful year this year… (she gesticulates) to make lots of happy memories with Yong Hwa, for our show to be a success~ Oh! (she clasps her hands together) And for little Hyun Woo to grow up well and be happy~ (She smiles warmly at the camera as though addressing the little boy.)


 

Bleep!

Lift…

The old man stood and watched the red and white rod rotate upwards, his right arm resting behind his back as though for support, his hand clutching a pair of keys. He peered into the slightly tinted windscreen before bowing his recognition and watched another black and shiny car rev through into the dark and hollow cosiness of the car park, leaving before the smell of exhaust fumes.

He breathed out, the cold air forming puffs of clouds as he nods to himself. He was just about to check his watch for the time when a bright call from a young voice resonated into the concrete cavern.

“Ahjusshi!!”

His neck craned towards the familiar feminine voice as his eyes squinted at the figure jogging towards him in the flood of daylight. His face moulded into a wholehearted smile as he turned to greet her, “Shin Hye-ya!”

When Shin Hye reached the shelter, she bent forwards catching her breath, the plastic bag in her grasp rustling with the movement.

“What brings you here to this place, child? What about your manager? He is not with you?” He asks, tilting slightly down at the girl, his arm still behind him, pressed into his back.

He wasn’t a very big man, but you could still tell that he married a woman who cooks and takes care of him well. The skin on his hands and face had started to wrinkle and weather with age and simply long working hours outside in the coldest of winters, but even though, Shin Hye still found that his face harboured the warmest and gentlest of fatherly expressions, his eyes holding genuine joy to see her.

“Ne…” Shin Hye replied after straightening her posture, tugging at the straps of her backpack, “I’m meeting Jun Oppa here today; he was busy so I took the bus!”

“Keure? Tsk, poor child…” He sighed a little and shook his head.

“Waeyo?”

“Aniya…” His aging eyes glinted with sudden excitement, “Are you here to borrow a car? Just one moment, I will-” He pats his trouser pockets for a pair of keys.

“Aniyo, gwenchanayo, Ahjusshi,” She said quickly, shaking her hands, “It’s okay, Jun Oppa will give me a lift.”

“Are you sure? The other car is free today, just one second, I’m sure I-”

She laughs, “It’s really okay! Jun Oppa’s car is here too, he’ll be upset if I chose another car over his.”

“O-Oh… keure?”

Shin Hye nodded before changing her tone, “Actually… I came to see you today, ahjusshi!”

“Me?” He asked, bewildered.

“Ne,” She beamed before reaching into the bag she held to reveal a small box of chocolates, “these are for your grandson, ahjusshi,”-she explained, handing them to him-“can you tell him that I really liked the lollipop he gave me? How did he know lime is my favourite flavour?”-she laughed, rolling the plastic bag into a ball-“Ahjusshi, no stealing a bite, okay?”

He studied the box of candy in his hands and chuckled, “Aigoo, this child… He never shares his sweets with anybody, not even his haraboji. He must have taken a real liking to you, my dear!” He smiled heartily at Shin Hye, his eyes forming warm crescents, “Thank you, Shin Hye-ya, I will pass them on to him!”

She tugs at her scarf shyly, “Aw, it’s nothing!”

The older man perks up for a second in sudden awareness, “Aigoo! What am I doing? You must be cold!”-He turns, gesturing towards his little office-“Come inside, child, I’ll make you a nice cup of tea to warm you up!”

“Jeongmaliyo?”

Whilst the pair were saying this, the door to the stairway swings open and somebody walks in, the clopping of her heels following her long strides echoed in the space. Behind her rushed her manager and the cordi unni Shin Hye recognised.

The man turned to squint in their direction before mumbling, “Oh, it’s the ahgasshi…”

“Se Young Unni…”

“Looks like she will be taking the car again today.”

As the actress made her way towards one of the company vans, her waves, a rich mahogany brown, bounced against her army green trench coat with each clop. Her rounded features, that wore a slight scowl, came into view, and as she got closer, momentarily, her gaze flickered towards Shin Hye’s whose face morphed into a smile as she waved.

“Unn-!” Only to flicker away again, “-ni…”

Shin Hye stood there and watched as the other girl made a turn, her entourage scuttling behind. When she reached the dark-mass-of-a-vehicle, her manager rushed to open the door for her with a “clonk!” before the presence of Park Se Young disappeared completely into the abyss of the backseat. Shin Hye had come to realise that you could tell how new a car was from how deep a sound the door handles make when you pull at it. Jun Oppa’s car didn’t make that kind of sound.

Beside her, the senior could only shake his head in disapproval as the sound of thudding doors resounded around them, “Cham, this is… I mean- no matter the circumstance, you are still her sunbae-nim, how can she-”

“It’s fine… Unni is probably busy,” Shin Hye smiles awkwardly as the sound of an engine came alive, “she just came back into the industry.”

“Even though,” He sighs with a tinge of exasperation, “and there are never enough cars in this place…”

They watched as the van pulled out from its parking space and headed towards the red and white rods. Coming to a halt, the driver reaches out to bleep a card against the sensor and within moments, the rod was raised and the van accelerated out into the world.

“Se Young Unni has more schedules than me,” Shin Hye reasoned before deepening her smile at the man, “and it’s not like I haven’t ridden in a company car before, Ajusshi! Please don’t belittle me~” She pouts, hands-on-hips, earning a chortle from the elder.

As she said this, Shin Hye’s mind briefly wondered back to that time she had ridden in a shiny black van, which had handles that went “clonk!”, to the press conference for You’re Beautiful. She can still remember that smell of leather and air conditioning and sitting there timidly, careful not to dirty anything, wondering how a car could possibly fit so much room on the inside and still look so furnished. Her manager (who sat with her in the back for once) could only roll his eyes at her simplicity.

Another swing of the stairway door tore Shin Hye from her thoughts.

It was her manager.

“Oh! It’s Jun Oppa,” she smiles apologetically to the elder, “looks like I’ll have to save that cup of tea for next time, Ahjusshi!”

“Keure? Well then you better go,” the man chuckled, nodding as she bowed and trotted in the direction of the newcomer.

“I’ll come and visit you again soon, Ahjusshi! Sugohaseyo!”

He waved her off, watching the girl run over to meet the man dressed in black with a folder in his hand and nodded in approval, and he continued to watch as she greeted him in her bright and endearing tone, her recipient smiling back at her in acknowledgement. And as they made their way further and further away from the man, their rear-view becoming more and more blurred, the man began to submerge into his thoughts.

What a lovely young lady, so courteous, so humble, so talented… only to have her potential withheld by a pack of all-smiling, all-nodding foxes… and as he thought this, he sighed and shook his head.

Bleep!

Lift…

***

“All ready to go?”

“Ne! I even brought the script with me just in case!”

To prove it, I took out my well-thumbed copy of the manuscript from my bag as Jun Oppa’s gaze danced between the road and at me through the rear-view mirror.

“…Do you want the good news or the bad news?”

My heart thumped in my ears, “Wae?”-and when he didn’t reply, I swallowed, “The bad news…”

He glanced at me again before settling his line of vision firmly on the road, “You won’t be auditioning today.”

I blinked at him, “Why… not? Did something happen?”

He left me to the low rumble of tyres treading against the road before he finally answered, lips curving, “You got accepted.”

“…Jinjja??” Every part of my facial expression must have popped at that moment, like a jack-in-the-box. I felt the strain of the seat belt against my chest as I anxiously waited for a response.

“Yeah… I spoke with the producer earlier. He had a look through your show reel and said he was certain you are the person he was looking for. Instead of an audition, you’ll shoot a few pilot scenes, and… if all goes well, those scenes will be part of the final cut.”

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. A tingling sensation ran through my body as my mind went blank. Is he serious? I passed just like that? Sure, it’s a low-budget film but… I had wanted to audition because I liked the script. I was accepted? Me?

“You’re being serious?”

He smiled at me through the mirror, “Chukhahae, Shin-ah.”   

Letting out a small squeal of joy, I thrashed my fists around. I can’t believe it! Leaning back into my seat, Jun Oppa’s words slowly sank in, I only realised now that I still had something in my hands. Moulding my words carefully, my thoughts began to self-assemble, “S-So… where are we heading to now?”

“To celebrate!” Oppa grinned, “What do you feel like eating? Oppa’s treat.”

“Really??” My eyes sparkled.

“Nn.”

“…I should use this chance to pick something ultra-expensive, right?” I laughed, giving him my best look of mischief.

“Sure.”

“Nnn… Samgyupsal?”

“…How about kalbi?”

“Kalbi?” I perked up at the possible offer, “Really?? Can we?”

“Sure. My treat.” He smiled back.

As we drove to the corner restaurant Oppa usually frequents not too far from the company, Jun Oppa turned up the radio and I made a party of the back seat. I’m surprised we didn’t get into an accident... My Oppa’s driving is jjang!

We pulled up by the curb and as my manager reversed the car into the space indicated by the almost non-existing white lines, my mind was buzzing with anticipation for the smell and taste of barbecued beef and a good side dish. Ooh, what side dish should we have? Pickled radish? Cucumber kimchi?

Ejecting my seatbelt, I left my stuff in the car and got out, shutting the door behind me as Oppa did the same. I took in a big breath of fresh air before radiating a huge smile when Oppa said “Kaja” and I was only too happy to follow.

He pushed the door (which was 20% steel, 70% glass and 110% advertisement) open before holding it for me. I thanked him and hopped into the warm and balmy atmosphere rich in the smell and sizzle of grilling meat, the low hum of chatter and the clinking of glass and utensils. For Lunch time on a Saturday, this place was doing pretty well!

I stood and looked around, careful not to make any eye contact as Oppa asked for a table for two. I had been here a couple of times before, but no matter when I visited, this place was always the same. Unchanging. The smell… the people… the sounds. It had this nostalgic tang to it, greatly satisfied with a feeling of familiarity and homeliness. 

The ahjumma led us to our usual table with her welcoming smile, and as she reached into her apron for her notepad and pen, we took our seats and answered warmly to her every word.

“You get prettier every time you come, dear!” She chuckled as I grinned at her.

“Not as charming as ahjumma!”

She laughs, making an “oh-stop-it-you” gesture before eye-smiling between Oppa and me, “Kalbi for two, dear?”

“Yes please~” I answered adding a tinge of pride into my speech, “Oppa’s treating me! He’s the best!”

She chuckled, “What a gentleman! What drinks and side dishes can I get you, my dears?”

“We’ll have warm water and…”-He looks at me-“Pickled radish and cucumber kimchi?”

I nodded enthusiastically.

“Alrighty~” She answered, jotting it down on paper, “Kalbi for two, pickled radish and cucumber kimchi, water. Got it.” –She clicks her pen shut and smiles at us before leaving- “Ring the bell if you need anything, my dears. I’ll see you later, enjoy your meal!”

“Kamsahamnida~” I chimed as Oppa said the same.

Shortly after, a younger lady comes over balancing a tray with our water jug, two cups and our side dishes. She sets them on our table, briefly announcing each in a systematic way before excusing herself again.

I fiddled with my chopsticks as Oppa busied with his phone. Maybe it was his girlfriend... I smiled at that thought.

Looking around the restaurant as I hummed to myself, my gaze flickered to a table close to ours. A group of guys about my age had gotten up after finishing their meal and were speaking amongst themselves. I would've looked away if it wasn't for the nagging feeling of familiarity. 

That's when I realised.

It was CNBLUE.  

 

 


A/N//: Park Se Young doesn't actually make a comeback to the entertainment industry until 2011 (a year after this fanfic is set), but I brought her in for the sake of the story, and also to address the rumours surrounding Park Se Young and Park Shin Hye which had been circling in rumour mills XD Hope you enjoyed this chapter! Well done to those who guessed it was candles! ; u ; This was a little shorter than usual so I'll try to make the next chapter a bit longer to make up for it cx Please leave your comments below, thank you~ ^^ ♥

 

Dooley Trivia + Facts used in this Chapter! ^^

- Lime is Shin Hye's favourite flavour of lollipop

- (Shin Hye in an interview for a magazine) "Lots of girls like Yong Hwa when he acts (in dramas), but I feel that he oozes so much more charm when he sings."