Milk + Mocha

A Million Anti Fans

Yeorobun, Annyeong~! The first chapter / episode is finally up!  It's called Milk + Mocha, (can you guess why?^^)

I'm kinda nervous right now >< I hope it'll meet your expectations- and if it does/doesn't, your feedback is always welcome! ^^

Please enjoy! ^^*

(Disclaimer: Tuesday does not own any of the names or companies mentioned below, even if she wanted to Y w Y) 

~~~

 

Episode 1 - Milk + Mocha 

 

“…He’s coming, he’s coming! Quick!”

“Eh?... Where did he go?”

I laughed.

It was a Sunday afternoon, and I had just come back from an extended outdoor photo shoot for a fashion magazine. They had wanted shots of a model in winter wear playing (or more like posing) in the snow, with the coal-black barks of dormant trees in the background.

That model was frozen stiff and very sore by the end of it, but with good results come good rewards, and she was now plopped on a warm sofa in front of Sunday variety shows. With my popsicle-like fingers melting around a warm cup of mocha, I sat wrapped in a warm blanket that reached from my sore feet to my elbows.

I heard a series of bleeps and then heavy footsteps coming from the door, “Gosh, it’s cold!” Came a masculine voice.

“Jun Oppa, quick, come watch. This week’s episode is funny!” I gestured to him without removing my sight from the screen.

I heard him walk over, but he didn’t sit down. I think he was taking off his gloves. “Shin ah…” He was in his ‘manager tone’ again.

“Ne…?”

“I’ve gotten some work for you,” he started slowly, “do you want to hear about it?”

I finally turned my attention to him, “Sure,” my eyes shined, “Is it another drama perhaps?”

“Ani…”

I pouted.

“Modelling?”

“Ani.”

“CF?”

“Ani.”

“…Variety Show?” I asked slowly and hopefully. It can’t be… can it…?

“Ne…” He looked towards the floor.

“Jinja??” My face could probably be described as the definition for the joys of Christmas as I placed my cup on the coffee table.

“Ne.”

“Which one? Which one?”

I love variety shows! As an actress, you don’t get to go on many; they’re more intended for promoting idols, which is unfair because they’re so much fun! When was the last time I went on one…?

“Shin ah…” He sat down next to me, his voice getting strangely serious.

“Wae…?”

“I lobbied very hard on your behalf to get you onto this show,” He began softly, “I hope you’ll go on it and give it a try, for oppa and for yourself. I hope you’ll understand oppa’s intentions.”

My manager, Jun Oppa, has been with me for seven years now since my debut. Because of this, and also the fact that Shin Won (my real brother) is currently serving his duties in the military, we’ve become so close that it would be normal to mistake us for real siblings. On the outside he’s deceivingly tough, but he’s actually tender (and sometimes a bit frank) on the inside, because of this, our personalities mixed well and we didn’t have problems communicating.

But right now, his beating-around-the-bush was starting to worry me…

“Go on…” I acknowledged, sitting up straighter, “What show are we talking about?”

“…I’ve gotten you a place on MBC’s… We Got Married.”

***

After tying his laces and zipping his coat, Yong Hwa’s sight met the four concerned expressions of his band members who had huddled at the entrance to see him off.

“Are you gonna be alright, hyung?” Minhyuk asked through sincere crescent eyes.

Yong Hwa smirked, trying to lighten the atmosphere, “I’m only going to buy a carton of milk, guys, it’s not like I’m not going to come back.”

“Well… it’s dark out,” Jung Shin started.

“…Don’t get carried away with your thoughts.” Jong Hyun finished.

In all honesty, Yong Hwa was a little taken aback, but he tried to mask it with a mock glare, “Aishh, what kind of idiot do you guys ta-”

“We heard your conversation with Manager Song, Hyung…” Minhyuk sighed, “You don’t have to pretend that you’re-”

“I’m fine.”

“Hyung, please don’t lie to yourself.” Jung Shin said softly, his forehead creased with concern.

Yong Hwa sighed before carefully dropping his mask. He couldn’t hide anything from them. Was he getting that predictable?

“We know you too well...” Jong Hyun pitched.

“Hyung, you don’t need to do this for our sake, it’s too much,” Jung Shin reasoned, “Just pull out.”

“We’ll speak to our managers for you.” Minhyuk promised, to which Jong Hyun nodded in agreement.

Yong Hwa took a deep breath before meeting the gazes of his closest friends, “It’s okay. I’m not only doing this for the band, but for myself as well. It’s the last chance for this kind of thing before we get too famous,” He joked, “It’ll be good for me…”

And with that, he opened the front door of their apartment and stepped out into the cold night air before s’ protests could keep him any longer, or actually change his mind. He walked firmly across the corridor, head submerged with thought, the main double doors his target. As he approached, a feminine figure entered the building.

He looked up- it was Seohyun, the innocent maknae from SNSD who lived with her parents on the fourth floor…

And she also happened to be his rumoured future ‘wife’.

As their eyes met, they stopped briefly to greet each other under the dim lights.

“Annyeonghaseyo,” Yong Hwa said tilting his head.

“N-Ne, annyeonghaseyo!” She bowed, tucking a strand of her long hair behind her ear.

She was a good person, who seemed like wife-material… not to mention, he had once been a fan of their group whilst he was still in high school. Even though it seemed as though Yong Hwa was thinking this just to convince himself, he pressed on, trying to scout for more.

Even if it wasn’t someone he knew, whoever they chose to be his partner for the program would probably be just another girl who’s groomed to be flawless by the idol industry. He would have nothing to be disappointed with. And plus, it’s not like he’s never dated before…

So why was he hesitating?

He pushed the door into the convenience store.

It’ll be good experience, he told himself for the hundredth time, something he wouldn’t be able to experience later on. And after all… it’s a good chance to start again.

Quickly picking out their usual milk carton from the fridge, he headed towards the counter to pay. As he took out his wallet, he spotted a stand of lollipops by the till. He wasn’t really in the mood for sweets but… he reached out for a lime flavoured one anyway.

***

(Shin Hye’s POV)

I sat there stunned. “You what…?”

A wave of urgency brushed his features as though he was a thief caught in the act, “Shin ah, I know what you’re thin-”

“Oppa, what were you thinking??” I blurted in panic, “That’s the type of show I can’t go on, you know that!”

“Shin ah-”

“Did you even think it through properly? My recent drama has done so well, I’ve made a successful comeback, what if I get paired with somebody really famous??” I really didn’t need this. After the drama ended, this was the perfect opportunity for me to rest and work in smaller projects. I haven’t even been sleeping well lately (due to the weird dreams I keep having…), if I had this to worry about too then-

“That won’t happen,” He assured, “I made sure of that when I spoke with the producers.”

I continued to stare at him, as though I could telepathically transfer the millions of reasons why it won’t work to his mind if I stared long and hard enough.

“Shin hye ya, calm down and listen to me,” The older man said with a sigh, “I know you very well. You treasure your career don’t you?”

“Of course...”

“Have you even planned anything for your personal life? After your career ends?”

“...Well-”

“When was the last time you’ve ever done something for the benefit of yourself?”

Remembering I had treated myself to a new dress last week for when I ever have promotions in the near future, I open my mouth to speak.

Only.” He added.

“See?” He lowered himself onto the seat opposite me, “Shin ah, you’re still young right now, aged 22 and you haven’t even had a proper boyfriend yet.”

“Hey…” I pouted, “Don’t say something like that so lightly…”

“I’m being serious. Youth only comes once and you should make the most of it.”

I started to see his reasoning, “…But don’t you think I’m a bit too young to get married?

“Why not?” He said care-freely, “Aren’t all the kids doing that these days?”

Is he serious?

I sighed, readjusting my thoughts, “Oppa, andwae, that show is too risky. You know that I’ve only just gotten my footing back, I don’t exactly want to be hunted down by mobs of angry girls any time soon…” I shuddered at the thought.

“Shin…” He breathed, starting to sound a little vexed, “You’re a nice girl. You’re noble, kind-hearted and charming. I’m sure if you just be yourself, people will judge you accordingly. And if there are any crazy people out there… I’m always equipped with a shovel.”

I laughed.

“On a serious note though,” He chuckled, clasping his hands as he leant forwards to stare at me intently through his glasses, “This may be your last chance to do those little things you’ll be missing out on in the future. For example: eating ddeokbokki by a road vender in the middle of the night… having a private holiday abroad with people you care about… and even just walking the streets hand-in-hand with somebody you love. This may be the last time, for a long time, that you’ll be able to experience life as a person. Please, just think about this, Shin ah… Don’t let this chance slip you by…”

I fixed my consciousness on the lifeless surface of my drink whilst Jun Oppa’s words rippled through my mind. I don’t think I even noticed when the door bleeped and shut only 8 metres away.

I sat there, paralysed with thought, no longer hearing the chatter and laughter emitting from the TV, nor the occasional stirring from the radiators.

For some reason… I was starting to feel cold again.

***

Left… right.

Left… right.

For the past fifteen minutes, Yong Hwa had been sitting on the wooden bench outside the store, exchanging his carton of milk between his bare hands, to and fro, to and fro. The once bitter chill that radiated from the thing had long since diffused into his own fingers and palms, making them now a blotchy red. His lime flavoured lollipop was safe and snug in his coat pocket, but the carton was too big to fit… and that’s how he got here, in a state of deep reverie, retracing his thoughts over and over again.

After a few more minutes, in which he still hadn’t come to a conclusion, he kept the carton firmly in his right hand. He had to get up now. He had to go. s wouldn’t like warm milk.

So as he slowly made his way back to the place he started from, his mind kept picturing the smile of a certain girl with short black hair.

I guess this is good bye…

***

“Is the camera ready over there?”

“Ne, Gamdong-nim!”

“Yes, and this part you need to…”

“Just one second, I have the…”

I looked around the lobby of the MBC building, it was already packed full with the production staff as well as normal people who were on their way to work, some peering with friendly curiosity and others probably used to these kind of disturbances.

I turned to my crew who were following shortly behind me, ready to send them off.

“Are you sure you’re gonna be alright, hyung?” Minhyuk asked for the hundredth time this week.

“Yes. I’m already here, what else could happen? It’s not like she’ll eat me alive on the first day.” I grinned as I gripped my hand, “I hope.”

“You don’t want us to stay with you to greet hyung soo-nim?” Jong Hyun offered with a smile.

“Nah, it’s okay. The mission card said I should come alone.” I murmured, taking the (slightly odd) card out from my shoulder bag to double check.

When I looked up again, I met the distorted face of Jung Shin, hinting that he knew more definitions for the word ‘alone’ than I did. That rascal… I need to sort him out later when I get the chance…

A call echoed from inside,“Yong Hwa-ssi!”

“Ne!” I answered (despite not knowing who it came from).

I turned to my members again, “Okay, guys, you should get going now. Take care on the way back, and remember to rest up early. You worked hard today.”

They all bowed courteously, replying in unison, “Work hard, hyung! Take care!”

I smiled, watching the backs of my brothers as they disappeared one by one through the doors of our black van. It was moments like these that I felt I had done a good job as their leader. After the engine came to life, and the vehicle left its perch on the side walk, I quickly made my way to the lobby before anyone wanted to chide at me. There, I was met (and attacked) by a flurry of makeup artists who clearly weren’t content with my cosmetic-free complexion.

Within two minutes, the cameras were rolling and I was stationed in the middle of the lobby looking like a lost lamb- black in colour due to the coat I was wearing. During the next few minutes, I got a good chance to read through my mission card a few hundred times more, whilst making casual comments about how I’m feeling to the camera from time to time. I didn’t really notice that I was fidgeting.

To Jung Yong Hwa,

Congratulations on your marriage!

Please head to the lobby of the MBC building alone where your new wife will arrive shortly.

Your mission is to identify your wife whilst being under cover.

Please don’t let anyone know about your mission, your marriage will remain a s-

 

“Shin Woo hyung~!”

My head snapped towards the entrance of the lobby. I could recognise that voice anywhere. My heart beats faster as my sight was greeted with the image of Shin Hye, wrapped warm in winter wear, bopping her way towards me.

“Yah, Go Mi Nam!” I answered as though by reflex.

“Hey! What are you doing here?” She breathed, before spotting the cameras on record, “Ah, annyeonghaseyo!” She bowed politely.

“Oh, I’m-” I started before cutting myself off, almost forgetting my mission, “Just here for a brief appearance for a show.” I mended with quick thinking.

“Oh, is that so…?”

“What about you?” I inquired, quickly changing the subject, “What brings you here?”

Jamkkanman… my brain started to whirl. Could it be that… she’s…? No way…

My heart starts beating unevenly in my chest at the speculation.

Then, as her gaze met mine, I saw her eyes sink.

“Actually… I’m here to see a producer about a variety show I was cast in…”

***

 

**A.N: Although this wasn't very lively, thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed this first chapter! :)**

 

***

Dooley Trivia + Facts used in this Chapter! ^^

- Lime is Shin Hye's favourite flavour of lollipop 

- In real life, Yong Hwa and SeoHyun actually lives in the same aparment complex 

(Although IRL this happens in 2013)