1

Smooth Criminal

"Lee Kaeun is to be sentenced to a life in prison."

 

That was two years ago and Kaeun had been in the same cell ever since. Every day was the same. Wake up, sit around and do nothing. Occasionally she was let out to go shower or do some kind of work but most of the time she was kept in her cell. To stop herself from going insane she usually had conversations with the prison guard.

"Hey. Prison guard." Kaeun said, sitting next to the bars that kept her in.

The prison guard turned around. "Yes?"

"Will you ever tell me your name? It's been two years and you've never told me." Kaeun said, grinning.

"I'm not allowed." Said the prison guard.

"Can't you just break that rule? It's barely anything. I'm sick of calling you prison guard. Feels a bit rude to be honest." Kaeun said casually, standing up.

"Fine.. It's E-Young.. Just don't tell anyone I told you." Said the prison guard.

"That's a nice name. I wish we could shake hands but I don't think my hand will fit through the bars." Said Kaeun. "Maybe if you could open the thing a bit we could shake hands. I like shaking hands."

"I'm definitely not allowed to do that. It sets an alarm off in one of the rooms whenever a highly dangerous prisoner's cell is opened." Said E-Young.

"Highly dangerous? I wouldn't say I'm highly dangerous." Kaeun said, laughing a bit.

"I wasn't the one who decided you were highly dangerous. The people in charge did.. And you have done a lot of crimes.." E-Young said.

"Let's put that in the past though. I'm not dangerous here." Kaeun said.

"But if you were let out of your cell you would be." E-Young said.

"Then why can't you come in here?" Kaeun asked, frowning.

"Because I'm only allowed in when I'm giving you food and water." E-Young said. "If I went in any other time it'd have to be in an emergency."

"Say I choked." Kaeun said.

"On what?" E-Young asked.

Kaeun shrugged. "A stone?"

"There aren't any stones in there though." Said E-Young.

"Let's say there is though." Kaeun said.

"I'd rather not risk it." E-Young said. "Now please be quiet before someone hears us." She turned around again leaving Kaeun staring at the back of her.

Kaeun decided to have some fun instead. She started poking E-Young, then she realised she could fit her arms through so she wrapped her arms around the older girl.

"..Kaeun, please stop it. You could get yourself killed for this." E-Young said, moving out of Kaeun's reach.

"I'm going to die here anyway, might as well make it quick." Said Kaeun.

'But you won't...' E-Young thought to herself. She was making a plan that would be very risky...