Attempts

Anything less

 

When Kris was young he would always meet up with his friends. Especially at night, where they would gather at the portal that held many secrets. If you go through there, then you will suffer from pain which leads to a slowly, painful, dead. Or that's what the mayor of the village said. For many years, every mayor from every generation said the exact same thing. Probably to scare everyone off, though they were the ones who were scared to find out what really was behind the portal. 

 

But young boys like Kris and his friends saw the portal like a different new world, an adventure. Every time when they had gathered at night they would attempt to enter the portal, but failed at every try. They either got caught by the guard, sending them back home or they were just to scared at the moment and laughed it off, saying it would happen another time.

 

 

And it did. One night they were playing tag near the portal after another failed attempt. The guard was snoring in his chair, sleeping like he's in a coma, like usual, so he didn't hear the loud laughter of the kids playing in front of him.

 

Kris was it and he decided to go after his best friend Chanyeol. The latter kept on giggling loud and did everything he could to dodge Kris' hand that was trying to tag him. That meant running towards the portal, but Kris didn't switch target because of that and already smirked in victory for trapping Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol stopped and turned around just in time to dodge, but that caused him to lose balance and fell into the portal. Kris had fast reflexes and grabbed the boy's hand in time, or else Chanyeol would had fallen into it completely.

 

Then everyone heard it. A muffled scream coming from the other side of the portal, Chanyeol's scream. Kris didn't doubted any longer and pulled his friend to him. Chanyeol started to hug him tight and was trembling all over. The rest started to ask him questions about what he saw, but Kris didn't. He saw his expression, shock and fear in his eyes and tears treading to fall. When the rest saw how the always happy virus wasn't happy they shut up. They all went back home in silence, comforting Chanyeol.

 

With this incident they ended their meet ups at night and also at the portal. Whenever it was mentioned to Chanyeol, he would just smile and wave it off, quickly changing the subject. But still to this day, Kris will always know that Chanyeol was scared and traumatized. No one knew about the incident except the ones who were there, and they wanted to keep it that way.

 

 

-------------------------------------------

 

''.'' Kris grumbled as he ran through the streets in the moonlight. The latter received a phone call from the douche bag that had been bugging Kris and Chanyeol like forever. They fought him many times, three against two, but still the two tall giants won. Just when Kris thought they finally matured, he got it wrong. This time they went to far.

 

He arrived at the portal, seeing his friend got quite a beating and was held back by two of the douche bags, made his blood boil.

''Glad you could make it Kris.'' The third and leader of the douches said with a smirk. ''Now you have no choice but to fight me or else we'll throw him through the portal.''

 

''Grow up. We don't have time for your useless fights.''

 

''Then say good bye to Chanyeol.'' He signaled at the others and they moved to the portal. Kris took the opportunity to punch the leader in his face and ran to the other two, taking them down by punching their stomachs and kicking their groins. Chanyeol was free.

 

''Thanks.'' He said as he whipped the blood from his nose with the back of his hand.

 

''No problem.'' Kris replied.

 

Then he felt a hard punch on his cheek, making him fall into the portal.

 

''Kris!'' Chanyeol's yell was the last thing he heard before blacking out.

 

 -----------

He wished that when he would wake up that he was in his warm and comfortable bed at home, but he wasn't. The dark gray sky greeted him as he opened his eyes. He shot up and looked around. He was inside a forest. The trees had few leaves and the grass was brownish green. The wind blew softly and it made him shiver.

 

He turned to the portal, but he couldn't go back. He tried his hands and feet but nothing could make him go through it. Trapped in the unknown world. Kris had to find a way back on his own. The only choice for now was to walk straight ahead, hoping to find help.