Meet the Family

Come at me, Bro!

A/N: Just in case some of you don't know, omiai is an arranged marriage.

-----------------------------------------

 

When I got home, my baby cousin greeted me at the entrance while sweeping. I call her my baby cousin, but she’s actually 13. I laughed and asked what trouble did she cause to get punishment. She said that she skipped her cram school to go to the arcade. I told her she knew better so I can’t help her. She said it’s okay because she skipped critical information since her midterms are coming up. I gave her a small smile and told her I had to go inside. She said I better because my dad was having a fit worrying about me.

I went straight for my room to hang up my coat and scarf. Then I heard my father calling me so I headed for the family room. My father hugged me and made a huge commotion about the cut on my mouth. I explained what happened and he said that I was right to punch the dude out. My mother came in and handed me a band-aid asking if I was hungry. I told her that I already ate, but I went into the kitchen and made tea for the three of us.

My father was the type that overly loves his daughter which would be considered embarrassing on most part and my mother wasn’t mean but she had high expectations for me. I told my parents about the concert and they added some of their input. My father asked if my friends made it home safely, but I told him that they wanted to stay back a little more so I left before them. Dad was nodding until he had an epiphany exclaiming that he bought the sweets I loved and went to get it.

I tried to tell him it was okay, but my mother shushed me. She told me that last night he went out just to buy it for when I returned. When my father returned, at that moment my brother showed up and took one of the mochi my dad got for me. He got mad but I said anything tastes better when more than just one person is eating. My brother ruffled my hair and asked if I saw Minhyun. I quickly took out my wallet and showed him the picture I took with his group.

He made a smirk and his trademark one breath chuckle. He gave back the picture and headed for his room. When he was in the hallway, I chased after him and asked him if he wanted me to arrange a meeting between Minhyun and him. He turned around pinched my nose. He started to put more pressure so I tried to break from his grasp. He did that chuckle again and let go. He ordered me to follow him to his room.

In his room, he showed me his cellphone. Him and Minhyun never lost contact from 7 years ago as well as me. My face got red because I jumped to the conclusion that they lost touch with each other. I just stood there because I didn’t know what to do. My brother rolled his eyes and flung his handkerchief at me saying I had leftover powder from my mochi. I thanked him and left the room. I quickly wiped the starch from my face and went back into the family room.

My baby cousin, Akane, was there with my parents eating the last mochi. Father stuttered saying that he tried to stop her, but I patted Akane’s hair and asked if she finished her sweeping. She shook her head saying that she only finished the entrance, not the backyard. I repeated that I couldn’t help her with her punishment, but I could help her catch up on what she missed. She said that Masaru (my older brother) already caught her up. That’s when mom asked me shouldn’t I be studying as well. I told her that the Academy held their midterms one month later than everyone because they believed seeing everyone panic from other schools actually worry the students in the Academy. It was actually proven so my school is considered prestigious even though we just don’t want to end up like the failures from other schools. That seemed to get my mother off my back, but she told me that I better get ready for my grandparents’ arrival.

I went to change into more formal wear. My family wasn’t rich, more like traditional. Every child in my family are supposed to get married and have two sons. Then the older son is supposed to carry on the family traditions while the younger one works in an office and it’s like a family requirement to get a high-ranking job. This is to pay for luxury while the eldest pays the bills. Unfortunately, my parents had a boy, Masaru, and a daughter, me. Then to make matters worse my brother has a short temper so he took an office job and is exceptional at what he does. So my grandparents said that I’ll learn the arts being the temporary heiress until my parents conceive another boy. My parents don’t want to have another child just in case it’s a girl. That would cause massive chaos.

Before changing into the kimono, I checked my phone. There wasn’t any messages and I got restless so I called Sooyeol’s phone. He answered quickly and I asked him where they were. He whispered that they were still at the dorm and Kyung didn’t want to leave. I nearly threw my phone in anger, but I calmed down and asked him what methods did he use to convince her to go home. He said that he didn’t really try anything because he didn’t know what to say. I thought about it and recommended that he used the grades plot. He complained that we used that excuse too much, Kyung wouldn’t fall for it again.

I told him that I found out her grades so just go with that plot and put her on the phone if she needs clarifying. Sooyeol agreed to it and he left the phone. Shortly Kyung’s high pitch voice rung saying that she wouldn’t fall for this scheme again. I relayed her grades to her and she grunted at me. She said that they’ll go catch the train now then. I told her to put Sooyeol back on and told him that they better get a move-on to the station. He secretly thanked me and hung up. Seriously, this dude needs to say goodbye. I changed into my kimono and tucked my phone into the obi. I heard my mother call me so my grandparents just arrived. I took off the band-aid and went outside to greet them.

My grandfather gave me a stern look as I greeted him while my grandmother lectured me that my hair should be long and in a bun not so short I couldn’t put it up. I apologized to her and directed them to the family room. I made tea for everyone and sat in my designated area. My grandfather cleared his throat and asked where I got the cut from. I relayed the story to him and constantly stared at the floor throughout the short story. He cleared his throat again and said he approved of my actions. I blushed and thanked my grandfather deeply.

My grandmother looked around the room in her usual scowled and told everyone to relax, to sit comfortably. We listened and sat how we usually do. Grandmother brought out a folder and presented it to my mother. Mom opened it and it was a picture of a dude. I peered over my mom’s shoulder to read the information. This dude was four years older, from a prominent family, went to Tokyo University, etc. to make him seem like a god to me. Grandmother said he was willing to meet me and share a date. Fear and confusion was all over on my face when I asked, “You’re setting me up in a omiai?” It wasn’t a surprise that she would set me up in this type of thing, but I was hoping it was after high school at least. The date would take place a week from now at the café near his school. He won’t know what I’ll look like so I have to go to him. To me, there’s a 95% I’ll get dumped once he sees me and my tomboy-ness. I agreed to it because my grandmother said they wouldn’t visit for another month if I went on the omiai. She didn’t take it as an insult because every time they come, they evaluate me on my skills.

My grandfather felt invisible to everyone so he said that my evaluation will start now. I bowed, telling him that I accept his statement so we went outside. I received a bokken, challenging grandfather’s caretaker/servant. He’s actually my teacher, but he evaluates me ’cause grandfather is too old to fight me himself. My teacher made the first move and I defended easily. We fought for 5 more minutes then my teacher made a low swing so I dodged but my kimono got snagged on the tree. The teacher took the opening and hit me on my hip. My face turned unpleasant and bent over to recover, but my teacher tried to strike again. I managed to deflect him and hit him on his shoulder in one motion. After that, my teacher paused and bowed congratulating me on my progress. I didn’t pay much attention, his hit hurt like heck! My grandfather congratulated me as well on my progress, but said that I still had much to improve in. I told him the next time he visits, I’ll definitely show him a better show. He gave me a genuine smile and said ordered me to change into different clothes for the next evaluation. I followed and got ready for the Karate/Judo segment. I passed with flying colors so I had to change back into my kimono for the ’perfect wife’ evaluation from my grandmother. Besides my appearance and slouching, I passed with flying colors again.

They stayed for dinner and we all ate comfortably. When everyone was finished, I made a separate plate and headed for my brother’s room. He shuts himself whenever grandpa is over so he’s most likely hungry. I knocked on the door and opened it. He was lying on his bed looking at the omiai folder intently. Smelling food snapped him out of his concentration and he snatched it from me. As he ate I looked over the information on the dude again. My brother asked if I was going to go through with it and I said it wouldn’t hurt, hopefully. Masaru asked how my friends were and I snapped back and said that I didn’t know what happened to them. I whipped out my phone and called up Sooyeol immediately, I also placed it on speaker just in case. Sooyeol took a bit to answer but he assured me that he was at home. I asked him if he really was and he said so even had his little sister speak on the phone to prove himself. I was about to talk to him more when my mother came in the room. I told Sooyeol to hold for a moment and asked my mother what was wrong. My gut told me it had to do with the eternal pain in the , Kyung.